Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #1065

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Thanks Mike for info. So far I’m sold on LS motors but was interested in your input.
You're welcome. Remember that is just my opinion and my build based on my wants and needs, yours may vary. I know some guys like that hot rod feel but I just didn't want it in my Jeep, a hot rod, hell yeah.

Thanks for following.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #1066

Country Coach Owners Club
Mike,

I stumbled on this thread two days ago....have just finished reading your entire saga and am totally impressed and awed by your abilities (along with Van and many others). I've been bitten hard by the DP bug, but not yet succumbed in part because of "fear of the unknown." This chain has been invaluable in both educating myself on issues, time and expertise that our future coach may require, as well as to know what level I can tackle them (or be smart enough to farm them out).

Thanks very much for generously sharing your experiences! I'm sure there's a huge crowd of current (and future) "lurkers" who will find this a "must read" as I have.
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Mike,

I stumbled on this thread two days ago....have just finished reading your entire saga and am totally impressed and awed by your abilities (along with Van and many others). I've been bitten hard by the DP bug, but not yet succumbed in part because of "fear of the unknown." This chain has been invaluable in both educating myself on issues, time and expertise that our future coach may require, as well as to know what level I can tackle them (or be smart enough to farm them out).

Thanks very much for generously sharing your experiences! I'm sure there's a huge crowd of current (and future) "lurkers" who will find this a "must read" as I have.
Mark , You'll find nothing but agreement here that Mike is great .

You may also be interested I his YouTube videos .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6C...kmsR1ZtyhdOk3w

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #1068

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Mike,

Thank you Mark, I am flattered. I am glad you enjoyed the read, as that was a lot of reading all in a couple of days.

Good luck in your search for your own DP. There is a wealth of knowledgeable guys on this forum to assist you with any questions you may have.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #1069

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Mark , You'll find nothing but agreement here that Mike is great .

You may also be interested I his YouTube videos .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6C...kmsR1ZtyhdOk3w

Ray
Thanks Ray, I appreciate the plug and kind words.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #1070

Monaco Owners Club
The wife and I took off for a few days for some much needed R&R in Moab and get some testing under my belt on the new setup.

Getting ready to hook up.

Hooked up and ready to hit the road.

Our campsite jn Moab.

Airing down on Friday morning.

Looking down from the top of Gemini Bridges.

Top of Bull Canyon looking down.

Jeep parked on top of Bull Canyon overlook.

Only use that I need to address. At full stuff and steering at full lock my tires just come in contact with the front bumper. A little trimming is in order as I don't want to add any more bumpstop because it flexes so nicely. The rear tires just come in contact with my inner splashshields so a little heating and forming of the inner shields will be necessary but very minor.

All in all a great short little getaway with the wife. I was pretty happy with the way the Jeep handled seeing as how it has undergone a few changes since last year.

Thanks for looking.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #1071

Always awesome!

Z-Mike--

Always enjoy reading your "exploits". Truly enjoyed visiting with you a couple of years ago at your previous residence. I remember thinking that I had never seen anyone make more use of such a small garage/fabrication/welding space. Kudos to your perpetual attention to detail. Let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help you with your machining projects. Tried "machine tapping" yet?

It was truly a pleasure meeting you in person. Those of us who are real "DIY" folks are never deterred by the "experts" telling us that "You can't do that! You need an expert to do it." Heck! We ARE the experts...because we taught ourselves not to listen to naysayers. The surest way to never acquire a new skill is to listen to someone telling you that "you need an expert for that".

Hope to see you again someday, my brother!
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #1072

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Z-Mike--

Always enjoy reading your "exploits". Truly enjoyed visiting with you a couple of years ago at your previous residence. I remember thinking that I had never seen anyone make more use of such a small garage/fabrication/welding space. Kudos to your perpetual attention to detail. Let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help you with your machining projects. Tried "machine tapping" yet?

It was truly a pleasure meeting you in person. Those of us who are real "DIY" folks are never deterred by the "experts" telling us that "You can't do that! You need an expert to do it." Heck! We ARE the experts...because we taught ourselves not to listen to naysayers. The surest way to never acquire a new skill is to listen to someone telling you that "you need an expert for that".

Hope to see you again someday, my brother!
Thank you Van. I too enjoyed our visit as well as phone conversations over the years. Thank you for the comments, I am very flattered.

I agree about the naysayers and the experts. I got a LOT of negative comments over the past year as I was collecting parts for my LS swap into my Jeep. Most telling me to just take it to one of the shops that specialize in this swap as it can't be done trouble free by the home DIY guy. I called BS and now with over 3k miles on it I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. I am so glad I didn't just go buy a new one like most were telling me to do.

Thanks for following along my friend and I hope to see you on the road somewhere soon.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #1073

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I got a LOT of negative comments over the past year as I was collecting parts for my LS swap into my Jeep. Most telling me to just take it to one of the shops that specialize in this swap as it can't be done trouble free by the home DIY guy. I called BS and now with over 3k miles on it I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. I am so glad I didn't just go buy a new one like most were telling me to do.
I enjoy your thread. One of the most suprising things about the DIY threads is the defeatism attitude shared by many. Most are here to learn and who doesn't appreciate that? I have to laugh when someons suggests to take to the Professionals. I have Professional friends who are truely Craftsmen and a joy to work with. So much knowledge to be gained but not easily discovered!

You share a common vine with Vanwill to get-er done and we appreciate that. Van is a true Craftsman as you are also.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #1074

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I enjoy your thread. One of the most suprising things about the DIY threads is the defeatism attitude shared by many. Most are here to learn and who doesn't appreciate that? I have to laugh when someons suggests to take to the Professionals. I have Professional friends who are truely Craftsmen and a joy to work with. So much knowledge to be gained but not easily discovered!

You share a common vine with Vanwill to get-er done and we appreciate that. Van is a true Craftsman as you are also.
Thank you for the comments and I am flattered to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Van as he truly is a master at what he does.

Thank you for following along on my Dynasty Projects thread.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Thank you for the comments and I am flattered to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Van as he truly is a master at what he does.

Thank you for following along on my Dynasty Projects thread.
Thanks, Mike. Can't say I deserve that...but thanks.

Haven't been on the forum much lately. One of those "life got in the way" things. But I'm back into "tackling the project list" once again. MCD windshield and front windows shades are the "project du jour".

Always enjoy your thread, Mike. Hope to see you again in person before too long.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #1076

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Thanks, Mike. Can't say I deserve that...but thanks.

Haven't been on the forum much lately. One of those "life got in the way" things. But I'm back into "tackling the project list" once again. MCD windshield and front windows shades are the "project du jour".

Always enjoy your thread, Mike. Hope to see you again in person before too long.
Sounds good Van. You've got a spot anytime you are driving through my friend.

I've been kind of absent lately as well due to so many projects that I am trying to get done so I can try to fit in some playing this year. My son is getting married in June and I'm going crazy trying to get all of his vehicles up to par while he is working on his new to him home that he and his fiancé just purchased. To be perfectly honest, I am getting a little burned out as I haven't had a break in nearly three years now, ever since we decided we were moving back in mid-2016 and I am ready for a relaxing break.

Home your shade project goes well. I keep contemplating on adding those to mine or selling it and getting another coach, you know because I need another freaking project.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #1077

We are all happy that both of you are back . We have missed you both
Both of you guys projects are always interesting and masterfully done .
Keep it up .

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #1078

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
We are all happy that both of you are back . We have missed you both
Both of you guys projects are always interesting and masterfully done .
Keep it up .

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
Thank you. I appreciate that and thanks for following along on my thread. Sorry not much in the form of RV projects lately. I've been focusing most of my attention lately on my son's WJ build trying to get that done before he gets married.

Tags
upgrade