Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #673

Monaco Owners Club
I had another Carling switch start acting up for my Aqua-Hot this past season. The unit never failed to ignite but occasionally I had to flip the switch a time or two for it to make contact. Upon inspection with my meter while we were in Capitol Reef I noticed the switch had some resistance between the contacts when closed until it was opened & closed a couple times. Then the light bulb burnt out when we were in Moab.[emoji35]

I have finally gotten caught up in the shop so I wanted to address this before next season, and before I forgot about it. [emoji45]

The switch is no longer available from either Aqua-Hot or Carling but I noticed on Roger Berke’s parts website he had the new style panel and switches from Aqua-Hot so I ended up purchasing one. I know I could have sourced a different brand switch easy enough but I did like the look of the new panel and switches.

OEM Monaco switch panel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2534.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	180518

New Aqua-Hot panel.

Name:	IMG_2536.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	180519

I knew when I ordered it that it was larger than the original and not a direct bolt in deal but nothing I couldn’t modify.

Name:	IMG_2537.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	180520

I had to remove a sliver from the walnut cabinetry as the body of the switches are a little larger than the Carling.

Name:	IMG_2539.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	180521

Name:	IMG_2540.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	180522

After careful measuring I marked what I needed to trim off so it would just squeeze between the other two switch panels.

Name:	IMG_2541.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	550.7 KB
ID:	180523

Panel trimmed, corners radiused, holes drilled and chamfered ready for installation.

Name:	IMG_2542.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	180524

Mocked in place to drill the pilot holes for mounting screws.

Name:	IMG_2543.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	180525

Panel installed and job completed.

Name:	IMG_2545.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	180526

Thanks for looking.

Mike
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I had another Carling switch start acting up for my Aqua-Hot this past season. The unit never failed to ignite but occasionally I had to flip the switch a time or two for it to make contact. Upon inspection with my meter while we were in Capitol Reef I noticed the switch had some resistance between the contacts when closed until it was opened & closed a couple times. Then the light bulb burnt out when we were in Moab.[emoji35]

I have finally gotten caught up in the shop so I wanted to address this before next season, and before I forgot about it. [emoji45]

The switch is no longer available from either Aqua-Hot or Carling but I noticed on Roger Berke’s parts website he had the new style panel and switches from Aqua-Hot so I ended up purchasing one. I know I could have sourced a different brand switch easy enough but I did like the look of the new panel and switches.

OEM Monaco switch panel.
Attachment 180518

New Aqua-Hot panel.
Attachment 180519

I knew when I ordered it that it was larger than the original and not a direct bolt in deal but nothing I couldn’t modify.
Attachment 180520

I had to remove a sliver from the walnut cabinetry as the body of the switches are a little larger than the Carling.
Attachment 180521

Attachment 180522

After careful measuring I marked what I needed to trim off so it would just squeeze between the other two switch panels.
Attachment 180523

Panel trimmed, corners radiused, holes drilled and chamfered ready for installation.
Attachment 180524

Attachment 180525

Attachment 180526

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Great job Mike.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #675

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Great job Mike.

Thanks Perry, I appreciate that.

Mike
Old 10-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #676

Mike,
Is that panel a direct wiring swap as well? I was told it required a slight wiring change but the person lost the drawing/plan. So I went out to hunt and buy the proper carling switches. I'd rather do what you did! Please share the wiring info.
Thank you,
Kurt
MHROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 PM   #677

Monaco Owners Club
My switch is doing the same thing and the light burned out last trip! Thanks for saving me the time to try to hunt that switch down! I'll just order that kit and hope I can trim the cabinet without too much issue!

Wiring pretty straightforward?

Thanks for the post!

Quote:

OEM Monaco switch panel.
Attachment 180518

New Aqua-Hot panel.
Attachment 180519

Attachment 180520

Attachment 180521

Attachment 180522

Attachment 180523

Attachment 180524

Attachment 180525

Attachment 180526

Thanks for looking.

Mike
Old 10-23-2017, 06:21 AM   #678

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHROOKIE View Post
Mike,
Is that panel a direct wiring swap as well? I was told it required a slight wiring change but the person lost the drawing/plan. So I went out to hunt and buy the proper carling switches. I'd rather do what you did! Please share the wiring info.
Thank you,
Kurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by steined View Post
My switch is doing the same thing and the light burned out last trip! Thanks for saving me the time to try to hunt that switch down! I'll just order that kit and hope I can trim the cabinet without too much issue!

Wiring pretty straightforward?

Thanks for the post!
Thanks for the comments guys. If the switch is working properly you can replace just the light bulb, I have heard of people who sourced the bulb through either Radio Shack (if they are even still around) or other electronic supply store. Had mine merely been the bulb I may have gone that route.

As for the wiring it is very straightforward. The thing I like about updating these older panels is at least now the electrical and the diesel switches are the same. The original switch for the electrical element did not have an indicator light so you will have to jumper over a ground wire. I merely jumpered one from the diesel switch light circuit. The electrical switch is 12vdc that switches a relay that actually controls the 120vac of the element so you will also have to jump a positive 12vdc from the supply to the light as well in order for the light to illuminate when switched on.

Pretty easy job to do.

Thanks again for the comments and for following along on my coach thread.

Mike
Old 11-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #679

Monaco Owners Club
I have my Saturday’s work cut out for me. Time to service the coach and address a couple of other minor projects so she’s ready for next season.

Name:	IMG_2606.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	181926

Mike
Old 11-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #680

Quote:
I have my Saturday’s work cut out for me. Time to service the coach and address a couple of other minor projects so she’s ready for next season.
Attachment 181926

Mike

Right behind you Mike, getting everything together for next months work.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #681

Hey Mike, what do you use as a drain bucket that fits under the oil pan? Getting ready to service my Sig and the drain bucket is the only thing left to acquire! I have lots of drain buckets but nothing big enough for the approx 15 gallons!
QMThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #682

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMThomas View Post
Hey Mike, what do you use as a drain bucket that fits under the oil pan? Getting ready to service my Sig and the drain bucket is the only thing left to acquire! I have lots of drain buckets but nothing big enough for the approx 15 gallons!

I merely us two 5-gallon buckets, nothing special. I do have to raise the rear of the coach about 6” to clear them though. Not enough to actually lift the tires off the ground, just to the top of the air bags basically. I place my two 5-gallon buckets on absorbent pads then open the petcock and keep an eye on it so when the first one is nearly full I close the petcock and push the next bucket under and repeat.

One thing I noticed about servicing it this year compared to past years is that now being inside a garage I don’t have the oil stringers that get blown around from having to drain the oil outside and having to chase the oil with the buckets. [emoji15]

Mike
Old 11-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #683

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Never fails does it . The day you've decided to do an oil change, the wind kicks up !!
Old 11-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #684

Monaco Owners Club
Finished servicing the Dynasty today.

Name:	IMG_2617.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	181954

Name:	IMG_2616.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	181955

One thing I noticed when removing the sediment bowl from the primary filter is there was an awful lot of debris so I cut the filters apart to inspect. Yep, a lot of debris for reason this time.

Name:	IMG_2615.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	523.5 KB
ID:	181956

I then had to come up with a way to hold my A/V switchbox in place. I installed double sided tape to hold it to the top of the video player but the tape hasn’t been holding as well as in other applications. It is difficult to maneuver around the steering wheel to hold the switchbox with my right hand while pushing the buttons with my left. I also despise the slight rattle when I hit bumps so I wanted to address both.

I couldn’t access it enough to put a hold down clamp style like in the other cabinet that houses my satellite receiver and DVD player. I measured with a rule and have just over 3/8” between the top of the A/V switch box and the top of the compartment. I came up with a plan to use a piece of 1/2” square tube that I cut .080” off which left a U-channel that measured approx. .400” overall height. I then cut down a piece of 10-gauge to slip into the U-channel.

Name:	IMG_2607.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	181957

Name:	IMG_2608.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	181958

Name:	IMG_2609.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	181959

I then turned the channel over and drilled & tapped each end to accept a 10-32 socket head screw approx 1/2” in from each end.

Name:	IMG_2610.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	181960

Name:	IMG_2611.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	181961

Name:	IMG_2612.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	181962

The theory is that the two screws will push up on the 10-gauge piece while the channel will push downward on the switch box to keep it stuck down to the double sided tape resulting in a fairly rigid mounted component that I won’t have to listen to going down the road nor chase around the cabinet when switching it.

Next beadblasted and painted the two pieces semi-gloss Black to match the A/V equipment.

Name:	IMG_2613.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	566.0 KB
ID:	181963

Completed and works great.

Name:	IMG_2614.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	643.1 KB
ID:	181964

Thanks for looking.

Mike
Old 11-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #685

Monaco Owners Club
WOW - I've been chasing a rattle up in the overhead passenger cabinet and Dooooh ! I think you pointed it out to me - Thanks !
Old 11-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #686

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
WOW - I've been chasing a rattle up in the overhead passenger cabinet and Dooooh ! I think you pointed it out to me - Thanks !

You’re welcome. I hope you find your rattle. This one was pretty intermittent but the main thing I wanted to address was having to chase the switch box around the cabinet when pushing the buttons. Finding the rattle was merely the icing on the cake.

Mike

Tags
upgrade