RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Moisture problem in a cabinet next to the microwave

Hello,

I own an 04 Diplomat with a moisture problem. The cabinet to the left of the microwave has a hole in the wall for the plug wire to pass through and is accumulating moisture on the ceiling and is also a bit warmer than other cabinets. Our Sharp carousel microwave has vents on the front and warm air does blow out the front when cooking. Is it possible steam is coming out from the rear of the microwave as well and is blowing through the hole where the plug wire goes through the wall and plugged into an outlet inside the cabinet? Is anyone else having a similar problem and what are you doing to solve it?

Hansville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hansville- I want to make sure I understand everything - The cabinet to the left of the microwave is getting moisture on the inside of the cabinet. (This also happens to be where the microwave plug comes into and plugs in)

I have a couple of other questions...
  • You have never had this happen before
  • You are in the same region as you were each fall-winter
  • You have double-checked the seals (seams) on the roof line
It sounds a bit out of the ordinary...I am sure we will get someone else to chime in soon..

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The problem only happened after we cooked something in the microwave that steamed up while cooking. The fan in the oven blew most of the steam out the front where it is supposed to vent, but when we opened the cabinet to the left to take out a dish we noticed moisture and it was warm inside the cabinet. It was clear that the steam from cooking in the oven also made it's way into the cabinet to the left. Not sure if there is anything we can do about the problem.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check to see if you have a vent on roof for venting the Micro. You may have the micro venting out the back of micro instead of out of the top they never turned the fan vent for top side venting or the collar for vent has slipped off where it goes into vent to roof.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Not sure if there is anything we can do about the problem.
Fill the hole with expanding foam. If the hole is what is allowing the other cabinet to get wet, this will stop that problem. If the hole is not the problem, you will know and put more time into locating the leak.
In the PNW, humidity is a large problem in the winter and any temp difference will cause the condensation you are seeing.
I would definitely check all roof seams at least once a year up there.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would be cautious about just plugging the hole and ignoring it ...you would still have moisture building in the wall/behind the cabinet, which does not sound good!!!

My Microwave/convection oven has a small vent out the coach wall to let the neighbors smell what we are cooking. Inside the outside cover, it has a small flap like some clothes drier vents. I suspect your vent is not properly connected and/or is plugged and/or is not present at all.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I would be cautious about just plugging the hole and ignoring it ...you would still have moisture building in the wall/behind the cabinet, which does not sound good!!!

My Microwave/convection oven has a small vent out the coach wall to let the neighbors smell what we are cooking. Inside the outside cover, it has a small flap like some clothes drier vents. I suspect your vent is not properly connected and/or is plugged and/or is not present at all.
The cord from the microwave does not go into the wall, just a hole (approx 1") in the cabinet frame between the two cabinet compartments.
The micro/convection oven is not vented to the outside on this model.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #8

The way my convection oven works, the fan has a charcoal filter and the air blows into the coach itself...then if necessary, you turn on the fantastic fan that is right near the kitchen. I have no outside venting whatsoever of the convection/microwave oven.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
Removed the microwave.
On the back of the unit there is a plate that need to be turn so the air blows out the front or the blower housing will need to be removed, turned 90 or 180 degrees. Just a few screws to remove. Best if you have a helper, not a big job.
Make and model and with a little luck may come up with a manual.
Rich
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J View Post
Removed the microwave.
On the back of the unit there is a plate that need to be turn so the air blows out the front or the blower housing will need to be removed, turned 90 or 180 degrees. Just a few screws to remove. Best if you have a helper, not a big job.
Make and model and with a little luck may come up with a manual.
Rich
Thanks R&J, I had a feeling someone else ran into the same problem with steam in the cabinet. Your advice makes lots of sence, I will remove my microwave and make the adjustment too.