Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

Monach With HWH Air Leveling Leak Detection

Suddenly I have a slow leak somewhere in my 2004 Monaco Signature HWH 2000 Air Leveling System. Both air tanks are holding air OK so it is only in the leveling system.

Numerous times in this forum people have stated that they used a spray bottle of soapy solution and have found leaks in the Air Leveling System. I would be very interested in you guys posting where you have found the leaks so I can see if there is commonality into what leaks and what to check first.

Please Monaco owners with HWH Air Leveling Systems only and please no theories. Only interested in actuals from those who have done the leak checking.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Mike first is to mix a good bit of dish washing soap in a spray bottle. Needs to make bubbles easily so adjust as needed with more soap.

Then spray every fitting you an find liberally with the soap solution and look for air bubbles. They will not be large bubbles unless you have a fast leak. Slow leaks product bubbles slowly but you must wet the fitting fully. Next move to the six pack and check for leaks on the solenoids. If you detect leaks there they are most likely from the O rings on the solenoids. HWH has a kit of O rings that is around $5 and I think that is enough for one six pack.

Also check the air lines and fittings to the compressor and tanks.

If you have not found it yet, start checking the air bags.

If you still have a leak at this point check the two air lines going into the back of the air pressure gauge on the dash.

Good luck and take your time and make sure you don't see any bubbles at any point before moving on to the next point.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

Thanks Rex for the advice but l know how to use the soapy solution. I was trying to gather factual data on where actual leaks have been found. I figure as with everything else in these Monaco motorhomes the same things have a tendency to go wrong in all of them. So have you actually found your solenoid orings leaking or your line fittings leaking? As I said in the original post my tanks are NOT leaking down just my leveling system
Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, sorry I misunderstood. So best place is the six packs. The O rings leaking on them is the most common place. You may find more than one leaking. See the attached pictures of what the solenoid looks like taken apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2070.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	32960   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2072.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	32961  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2074.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	32962   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2077.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	32963  

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #5

Ok now we are getting somewhere. Those solenoids look identical to the fuel and nitrous solenoids we use on race cars. I bet the are made by the same company which is Peter Paul. So I am surprised the orings will start leaking if they are not disturbed.

So to take the solenoids out you have to bleed off all the air out of the leveling system including the bags?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Mike:

If what Rex said doesnt work try spraying the air bags. Over the years I have had two front (right) air bags fail. The first was on an 03 40ft Alpine. A small pebble got under the bag and rubbed a hole in it. The second was on our present MH, the 05 Navigator. Same location but could not find what caused the leak. hole in bag for sure............
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #7

99 tag axle Executive, had leaks on top of the tag bags where the air fitting screw in. Darn near impossible to get to.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

Ross when that happened did the motorhome settle down on the stops evenly or did it sag on one side or one end. Mine settles evenly. I am going to inflate it back up and put ii in travel mode and see what happens because that is a different set of solenoids and controls.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mike Just wondering what you found out, mine is settling to the rightrear side?

Tags
hwh, leak, leveling