Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #1

Monaco Camelot Docking Lights

This is my first post after joining the forum. I own a 2003 Camelot that I purchased from the original owner in Oct. of 2012. Since then I have been doing some factory looking mods to it including replacing the front tv, eco charge, lighted grab handle and so on. I can post pics for anyone that would be interested in seeing them. I mounted the tv in a way that it tilts upward on hydraulic lift pistons to access storage behind it. I am now looking to install side dock lights. I found the factory wire harness along both sides to the rear of the coach. I need to know from any Camelot (2004 model year) or Windsor owner that has docking lights, where the switch is located. I have gotten 2 different answers from 2 different people at monaco as to where the switch should be located. I know the wiring is there, but I just need to find it. This is very difficult without a diagram. Anyone with a wiring diagram that is willing to share would be much appreciated!
Lars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Lars99.....My switch is located on the dash in the lower left. You should have a small 6" x 8" panel with the ATC switch, fog lights and driver/passenger shades. I would guess that the harness is hanging down behind that panel. If you remove the panel and look at the back side, there should be a space for another switch carved out on the back.

I added the window defroster option on my coach. The wiring was stubbed off behind the TV and the plug was hanging behind the dash, just behind the panel where the switch would go if it had come with the coach. Since the docking lights are pretty simple, it's probably only a 2 or 3 wire plug.

I tapped into my docking lights and added some back up lights under the rear bumper. When you turn on the docking lights, the rear lights come on also.

Here is a photo of the panel that has the docking light switch.

Here is a photo of the back up lights. You can only see the left one in this photo, but it gives you an idea where I mounted it.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #3

Don,
Thanks for the fast response. I have been reading your posts since I purchased my Monaco and all your awesome ides have inspired me to do all these upgrades. I just purchased the KC Backup light kit and decided on the same spot to mount them. I was looking at LED reverse lights but they are double the price and I'm not sure of the light output. Thanks for the switch location. By the way, I like the new style switches you installed. My next expense I see!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don,
The pictures and captions don't seem to match?
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #5

They match on my end
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #6

Don,
Where did you purchase your new style switches from?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post
This is my first post after joining the forum. I own a 2003 Camelot that I purchased from the original owner in Oct. of 2012. Since then I have been doing some factory looking mods to it including replacing the front tv,.... I mounted the tv in a way that it tilts upward on hydraulic lift pistons to access storage behind it......
Lars,
I am also putting on a door that hinges on top, to lift upward -- on which I will mount the flat screen TV. I also want to use hydraulic lifts.

My 32" LED flat screen weighs 13lbs. What weight is your TV, and what lifts did you use?

Can you post some pics that show how you mounted the hinges, and where you put the hydraulic lifts?

I think I will have to construct some framework attached to the ceiling to mount the hinges, as I don't think the present cabinet frame will support it all.

Pictures of your project?
Thanks.
baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #8

Baloo,
I used 3/4 inch sanded birch cut to fit the dimensions of the opening in the cabinet. I did cut it short (height wise) to eliminate some weight. On this board, I cut out a notch for all the cables. I then wrapped the cables in black wire loom to keep it neat. I eliminated all the other home theater electronics that came with the monaco and updated everything including Apple TV. I used a piano hinge on top and attached it to the existing enclosure. I purchased the lift supports from lift supports depot dot com., (very good company to deal with). I had to build up the area where i mounted the support on the enclosure. The other side of the support attached to the board I made. As far as mounts go, I used the Omnimount OMF. That mount is very low profile, easy to use and very sturdy. I'll take some pictures as soon as I can get back into my rig. I'm still digging out from all the snow we got.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the details, Larry. You did some good thinking there. Will use your ideas. Would like pics if you can get to it ("...1000 words").
baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #10

I love my docking lights, just wish they were not powered by the ignition switch. Would like to be able to turn them on with or without key on. It is nice to have them sometime for packing or unpacking.
loydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by loydt View Post
I love my docking lights, just wish they were not powered by the ignition switch. Would like to be able to turn them on with or without key on. It is nice to have them sometime for packing or unpacking.
Easy to fix that. Just find a 12v constant instead of switched to the switch.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Lars.....Before Monaco went out of business years ago, there was a local Monaco dealer who had plastic containers full of the old and new style switches. I bought all of the new style, about $6.00 each, so it was a pricey upgrade, but I liked the look of them much better. Since they ballon a little in the middle compared to the old style, I had to lightly file a few of them that were right next to each other. I bought just the rocker covers, not the entire switch.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Lars.....Before Monaco went out of business years ago, there was a local Monaco dealer who had plastic containers full of the old and new style switches. I bought all of the new style, about $6.00 each, so it was a pricey upgrade, but I liked the look of them much better. Since they ballon a little in the middle compared to the old style, I had to lightly file a few of them that were right next to each other. I bought just the rocker covers, not the entire switch.
That's good to know. That was my next question if the new covers will fit the original switches. Thanks again for the input.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loydt View Post
Yes, I had it swapped to the constant side by a RV repair person when they were doing another repair. They charged mme 1/4 hour and no parts. Or $15.00. Great if you hear something outside at night also. Or just walking the dog.

Tags
lights, monaco