Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #15

Kona:

I used to live in the Valley. The Simi grade into Chatsworth isn't that challenging but it might work. If you could convince the dealer to let you test it over the Rocky Peak side road, that would give you a better feel for partial steep grades and turns plus unless they have paved it again, the road should test the suspension enough as well as sideways stability/roll resistance. (he he he, if you could get them to let you take it up the Cajon Pass, stop buy for a steak and a beer ).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #16

I took a look at the plans. The 37 is nice and the 4 slides will make it feel big. The swinging bedroom door into the bathroom looks like a collision issue though and the vanity is a bit small.

The 38 has a walk around bed (same as our GS) which we like better. Would the bedroom TV be obscured by the slide when in? The vanity is BIG and the hallway arrangement is nicer, more house-like.

The 39 has similar issues to the 37 BUT I like the W/D in the hall rather than in the bedroom.

There. Hows that for $.02?

Options? I would get whatever you are comfortable with. The triple camera/larger inverter package is nice. I also like the compartment slides. The DD refer might mean you lose some of the pantry space. I like cooktops WITH ovens. 32" flatscreen, surround and bedroom DVD? I like I like! Awnings all around = yes, Sani-Con = YES!!!, Interior/seating appears to depend on model and I prefer the laminate flooring.

This ought to REALLY confuse you now...
Old 11-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Kona Traveler....We live in Moorpark and bought in Fresno. Simi RV is okay, but they can't do too much in the way of service for you. They have no ability to do anything other than fix small items. There facility is just too small. There is a Coach Care facility in Ventura that can do all of the repairs from chassis to generator and are authorized for Monaco repair. (Cal Pacific Cummins).

Friends of ours just bought a 36' Cayman quad slide from Simi RV. They have not been happy with repairs so far.

I love my Diplomat (2005) and see that alot of the features that came with my Diplomat are now available on the Knight. You might want to look at stepping up to the Knight with the 8 air bags.

I'll shop for my next coach at DeMartini and only go to Simi if they can beat the price which I doubt.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
ooohhh... Dip Don... No wonder I adore you so much !! You can put my exact thoughts in words!!

All kidding aside...please at least call DeMartini and talk to Jon and tell him Becky told you to call... you may be surprised. Many people have driven from all over to buy from them. (Find a Dip on their site and call them with a stock #, It may be a lot cloder to your price range then you think!)

Please talk to them first before signing...

(PS.. Dip-D ..I hope no one missed you when you met me in the middle of your turkey dinner...I know we could only spend 5 minutes together before I had to speed back to Oregon...but it was nice to at least imagine your eyes in the darkness of the falls in Yosemite! )

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #19

Kona, we have a 07' 34' Cayman. This is not our first Diesel motor home but for the price point it has alot of features. In my opinion the four bag suspension gives as good of ride as any of the other makes we have had less the CC Magna, but with much more weight and IFS you can't compare. This coach rides well and is very quiet inside. As for power, I have the 5.9 ISB which why I kept the size and weight down, it has enough power for me and has been getting 10mpg towing our Honda. The last trip up I5 into Oregon still netted 9.5 to 10 mpg towing up those long steep grades, I could maintain 40mph by holding the transmission in 3rd and backing the throttle off to hold 2400 rpm. For me I would rather have the mileage than the little extra power, I'm sure others will not agree. I can't comment on the 6.7 ISB, haven't driven. As others have said, drive it and see for yourself, I originally thought that my short wheelbase would be a negative for handling and drive ability but this coach drives fine in most all conditions. All in all, for the money I have been very satisfied and have had no issues that I haven't takedn care of myself.
Good luck
Old 11-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #20

Went threw the same questions about Cayman/Neptune from the 35sbd/38pbd/37pdq/39pbt...we test drove and looked at Paul everts,Simi rv (eric) Baudry rv, DeMartini and a local dealer Canyon rv..
We ended up buying a 39pbt Neptune sticker price 192k Holiday rambler dealer added washer/dryer and in motion sat for a OTD price 154k (inc txs/lic) Pomona rv show...
Power and handeling are excellent and better than I expected..the ISB 325hp cummins with the 6speed 2500 world trans works very well and the mileage is 8-9.5 mpg running at 65-68mph pulling a geo Tracker toad. capacities for the 08 chassis were increased 1500 lbs so the CCCs on the 39pbt is over 3000lbs. I have had 4 things that I have had to fix in the 3000 miles we have put on the Coach in the last 2 months. I and very happy with this Monaco product...
Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
I'll throw my Alpine Coach hat in here about a dealer with Monaco Mama.

I know nothing about the dealers down south...living here in Frenso. We did try to buy from the Central Valley dealers in the Fresno area. We made a phone call to DeMartini in Grass Valley. That was about all it took. EVERYTHING they told us on the phone was just the same in person. We would buy from them again without a doubt. The difference in dealing with Tim, Jon, and Jay at DeMartini versus the 4 other dealers we tried to do business with, was like night and day.

Now if they will only pick up Alpine again.

. I really didn't want to turn this into an ad or hijack the thread.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:18 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kona Traveler:
We are thinking about getting a new Monaco Cayman. We are looking at either the 38PBD or the 39 PBT. I am interested in any thoughts on either of these coaches. We are not full timers. Is 4 airbags adequate? Is there enought power in the 39 PBT? Any thoughts on either of these models or on the Cayman generally would be much appreciated. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 2006 36SBD and find the ride to be just a little harsher than my last coach ( a gulfstream Voyager)

03 Saturn L2
abray is offline   Reply With Quote