Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco coach steps erratic

My steps quit on me yesterday and I had to dismantle the motor in order to retract them for travel. Once home, I noticed that the motor would run with door activation. I cleaned the motor, the wire plug connection, lubed the steps and reinstalled. They worked for a few more times and quit. Magnetic switch appears to be working (audible click). What else should I do before ordering a new Lippert motor?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #2

check for voltage and ground at motor electrical connector....if both are present when the steps are supposed to be moving....it looks as if your motor is bad
Old 06-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
check for voltage and ground at motor electrical connector....if both are present when the steps are supposed to be moving....it looks as if your motor is bad
Many thanks..will try that tomorrow!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #4

Do nor order the motor from Lippert unless you have money to burn. It is a common Ford power window motor that can be bought for around $40.00.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Took motor apart after checking grounds and voltage with no luck. Cleaned armature and checked points. Must the armature be grease free?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Do nor order the motor from Lippert unless you have money to burn. It is a common Ford power window motor that can be bought for around $40.00.
That's funny..I had to replace the motor on my steps last year and it took a GM window motor....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #7

There are many different styles of steps. Yours would be the first one I heard of with a GM motor. You learn something every day. The Monacos with the stops that look like a toolbox drawer were originally Frigette. Lippert now owns that company. They use the Ford motor. I think all the qwickee steps use Ford as well. Regardless they are much cheaper from an auto parts store.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If it helps with the details... My steps (SCS/Frigette Coach-Step) wouldn't go out, and I just replaced the step-motor with a power window lift motor, P/N 83694, made by ACI from Advanced Auto Parts. Their book shows it to be a replacement for 86-95 Ford Tarus/Sable. Cost was $45.99. Exact fit.

Entirely possible that the motor is the same one as listed from multiple car mfgrs, since GM/Ford/etc really don't 'make' the motors either. Who knows, maybe even a Yugo in there somewhere.

HTH
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
... Must the armature be grease free?
Yes.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #10

I'm struggling with a similar problem with a Kwikee Step model 42. Mine works when I connect a separate 12v supply to the control unit through a pigtail, but won't work when connected to the coach harness.

I checked the voltages on the coach harness and they all seem correct. Next up I have to get back to the MH (it is parked a ways away) and try to see if the 12v supply holds at 12v when load is applied.

To do this you need either 2 people and a multi meter, or better still, a multi meter that has a high and low voltage memory. You have to expose the 12v wire, and get a voltage meter between the 12v line going into the controller and a good ground. Then open and close the door. On my coach there is always a 12v in, and the door switch connects and breaks the ground.

With the ground circuit closed the motor will draw on the 12v, and if there is a bad or weak connection the 12v will drop significantly when the motor activates and creates load.

If that happens you may have a corroded connection or a partly failed fuse.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Stan & Jacquie I hope you get your step problems solved quickly!
Not to change the subject but I have a quick question... about the steps on our Monaco Diplomat. Is there a "last man out" rule on our Monaco? When I get out and shut off the stair switch and close the door the stairs stay extended out, I had a Dolphin previously and it retracted the stairs 1 time after I shut off the switch and closed the door, I was told it is called the "last man out rule". Are my Monaco steps suppose to retract after I shut off the step switch and close the door?
It's not a big deal, I'm just curious????
Thanks!
Tom & Kathy D
Mesa AZ.,
07 Monaco Diplomat 40 SKQ
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd85208 View Post
Stan & Jacquie I hope you get your step problems solved quickly!
Not to change the subject but I have a quick question... about the steps on our Monaco Diplomat. Is there a "last man out" rule on our Monaco? When I get out and shut off the stair switch and close the door the stairs stay extended out, I had a Dolphin previously and it retracted the stairs 1 time after I shut off the switch and closed the door, I was told it is called the "last man out rule". Are my Monaco steps suppose to retract after I shut off the step switch and close the door?
It's not a big deal, I'm just curious????
Thanks!
Tom & Kathy D
Mesa AZ.,
07 Monaco Diplomat 40 SKQ
No. When the switch is off the retracting feature is off. You want to use this when at the campsite. This way you are not over using the motor or the batteries. When the switch is on, the steps move with each door opening or closing. Now, regardless of switch position, the steps will always retract when the engine starts as asafety precaution.

Stan
Old 06-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ahhh, good to know!
Thank You!
Tom D
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #14

My step s would not retract .SCS/FRIGETTE COACH STEP .ORDERED NEW MOTOR FROM ADVANCE AUTO , part 83694. This is a automotive power window motor which is a exact match,Fixed all my problems .Cost under $50. All you have to do is replace the connector plug with one from old motor.
stanstuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, steps