Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco Diplomat help!

I need help and or advise. I own a 2004 Monaco Diplomat 40 diesel pusher, the engine is a Cummins ISC 330hp turbo diesel. Have never had a problem until now. There are 37000 miles on her. Recently after is sat for only 2 months I tried to start it to let it warm up and lube the engine. The stop engine light comes on and stays on. It idles at 500 rpm, nowhere near normal. After 45 seconds it dies. A lot of smoke, and runs rough. I had a mechanic come out and connect his computer to do a diagnostic, one of the codes indicated a communication failure with the ECM. They want $1500.00 dollars for a new one. So, if I need a new one can I have the mechanic program it and then install it myself? What if it needs tweaking after installation. Any advice is welcome. Thanks Hugh
Hughfechtler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #2

Being a 330 horse I'm guessing its a CAPS injection pump engine. If so it sounds more like the pump going down. Most of the signs are low idle,smoking,choppy idle and some time hard starting. The CAPS pumps are notorious piles of junk. I had a peterbilt truck with a caps pump engine I put 4 used ones on till I got a good one cause a new one is a minimum of $3,000.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with a suitable solution.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So sorry Hugh that I can't help with your problem, but there is some serious "talent" at the Monacoers@yahoogroups.com blog. Bill D. (at Monacoers) can probably be of great help. You'll have to join that Yahoo group.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Good morning,
just a stupid suggestion, I would check the wiring closely. it is possible that a mouse ate one of the wires. A broken wire or corroded connection could account for the communications error. It's worth a shot before replacing the pump.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Can't get my roof satellite dish to spin-look for signal. Just moved to new spot. I can get signal on yard dish but roof one acts like it's not getting power. There is NO switch in cupboard above drivers seat..or anywhere else that I can find
My husband passed away and I have no idea how to get it to move.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Mrs. Fechtler
Hughfechtler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Lisa,
I assume you re talking about the tv ant. or are you taking about the sat antenna ?

TV, you have to 'raise' from the inside by turning the handle as the diagram shows, then you grab the out ring, pull down and pin it to point the way you want (if using tv, turn booster ON) if cable, you shouldn't need ant and you want to turn booster off

for sat, what type ant is it ? SWM, in motion, Tracvision, wineguard ?
if wineguard, find the little 2x6x6 power box and hold the power button for a few seconds and it will do the rest...
TYPICALLY it is closest to where the ant is... my dip is in the front cabinet, but my last rv, it was in the bedroom cabinet

Tags
monaco