Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #1

Monaco Dynasty dash air conditioner

I have had my coach air conditioner serviced many times and often and yet it still continues to loose freon does anyone have any thoughts to this matter?? I have been told that this is a ongoing problem with Monacos thanks
wehking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #2

I have never experienced that problem. But the most difficult to repair problem I've read of is having to replace the hoses that run from the compressor on the engine forward to the evaporator in the dash.

Although I do not own one, I know there are "sniffer" devices for locating leaks. There are also dyes to show where it might be leaking.

Your leak might be difficult to locate. Good luck!
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You can buy a can of ultraviolet dye to add to the system, then run the coach with AC on. You can then buy special kit that includes a UV flashlight and glasses that will make a leak easier to find. Better to look for the leak at night as it really stands out with the flashlight and glasses. I had a leak on my old suburban that I couldn't find and used the above to finally find the leak. Turned out to be a plug in the top of the compressor.

The AC on my Windsor wasn't cooling to well in 2010 so I added a can of Freon and its worked fine since then.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #4

I have that exact problem with our 05 Navigator. 4 times the technician says he has found the leak and replaced a hose near the compressor. Still leaks out. The 5th time the tech in Medford found that desiccant had leaked out of the dryer and plugged up the expansion valve. Also he found a leak in a hose near the engine. That was $800. Last July no A/C again. This time a tech in Grass Valley Ca. Said it was a leaking Schroeder valve. Changed valve core recharged system and it lasted 15 days. $150.
The system never leaks all the way empty. So I just buy an occasional can of r134 from Auto Zone and added it to the system. I do notice oil stains near the hi and lo ports. Suspect some leakage there. No solution but cheaper than a "technician".
Old 09-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I got one of these for $42 last year from Amazon:

//www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088NW14O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o06_s00

It is a cheap Chinese electronic leak detector but helped me find an elusive leak in my mother's car. Well worth the $42.

Roy
Old 09-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Roy for the link
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
A leak detector is good but a lite breeze will make it hard to pen point the leak. At that point you need some soapy water that will bubble up to fine the leak. Ultraviolet dye is also very good, Hard to get into the system if you don't have the tools. I would pay a service person to install ultraviolet dye if you don't have the tools. Buy a UV black lite flash light $15 and you will fine the leak or leaks.
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree with everything that has been said here except for the statement that this is something common to Monaco coaches. Monaco bought all their air conditioning components from the same suppliers as every body else, so.... ?

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Had a slow leak in our used coach. It turned out to be very slow and located at the very back of the right angle hose connection to the compressor. The hose was too short and a new one had to be run the entire length. That was 4 years ago and it is still holding and working fine. Also FWIW I have read that sometimes the seal at the front of the compressor will leak out slowly, but a leak detector will usually find this.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, dash, dash air, monaco