Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco Electrical gone HAY-WIRE

This is a stumpper. 3 days ago, 'out of the clear blue' my TV started shutting itself of when I turn on the lights under my cabinets in my living room, dining room, and kitchen area.

I have pulled the 'thinline lites' out an inspected for shortages. Not there.

I had put a small extension cord in one of the receptacles over the counter top for a coffee maker, electric skillet etc when I got the MH 3 yrs ago. I unplugged that thinking that was the culprit. It worked till I turned on one of the lights under the cabinets.

Has this ever been an issue discussed. Somebody PLEASE SAY "YES"

OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'll say "Yes"....but only because you asked so nicely!! But my honest answer is "no".

The TV should be running on 120 volts AC (VAC). Under-cabinet and other lighting throughout our rigs operate on 12 volts DC. So you have a real puzzler to consider.

My ONLY thought as to how DC-demand (the lights) could cause the TV (AC demand) to trip off is that the TV is running on the INVERTER (the inverter supplies AC power from the DC stored in the "house battery bank"). If this is your condition (and I'll admit that it's a stretch), then when DC-demand (lighting) is increased, perhaps your house batts fall below the 11-or-so volts (DC) that the INVERTER must have to produce an AC output. If this "logic" makes sense, what I'm saying is that your batteries need charging, and perhaps they are not being charged because shore-power is intermittent or completely off. Hmmmmmmm.

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well do a little test. Turn Tv on, turn light on, if TV goes off, leave light on and turn TV back on. If TV comes back on it looks like the light may be generating a frequency transmission that is equivalent to the remote control turn-off signal. Thin Lights have been known to cause problems with some thermostats for the same reason.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Test proved this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Well do a little test. Turn Tv on, turn light on, if TV goes off, leave light on and turn TV back on. If TV comes back on it looks like the light may be generating a frequency transmission that is equivalent to the remote control turn-off signal. Thin Lights have been known to cause problems with some thermostats for the same reason.
I preformed the test, I found out that it is not my TV that goes hay-wire, but it is the DIRECT-TV RECEIVER. You know how when it rains, and the TV goes into a bunch of little mosaic images. That is what my TV looks like. I have a DVD in it now, and it works perfect.

So, the test shows me that it is in the wiring, and not my batteries
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnJa View Post
I preformed the test, I found out that it is not my TV that goes hay-wire, but it is the DIRECT-TV RECEIVER. You know how when it rains, and the TV goes into a bunch of little mosaic images. That is what my TV looks like. I have a DVD in it now, and it works perfect.

So, the test shows me that it is in the wiring, and not my batteries
As Rex points out, the ballasts in the Thin light can go bad and start generating EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference). The florescent lamps require a high voltage to operate and the Thin Light has a flyback power supply that boost the 12 VDC to a higher voltage to operate the lamp. After you locate the faulty light you will either need to replace it or disconnect the ballast and replace the florescent lamps with LED lamps. I have found these to be very good and have 6 installed in my coach to correct a low voltage problem caused by long wiring.
Replacement 18" F15T8 LED Tube for Fluorescent Fixtures
I was constantly replacing the lamps but now have them swapped out for the LED type.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for link

Will do a check on ballast asap. Do have one that will not work. That is probably my culprit. Bookmarked the link. "JUST REPLACED" all 32 lights last month with new. Got tired of seeing that dreaded black ring. ha
Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #7

I don't remember the length of my florescent light fixtures, but I replaced the two tubes with 5 rows of this. About the same brightness as the florescent tubes and use 1/10th the power and are a lot cheaper.

5M SMD 5050 LED Rope Strip lights 300 leds Cool White 60led/meter 16FT Car Light | eBay

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, monaco