Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #1

We have a new Diplomat on order -- should get here in about 7 weeks. We want to buy an extended service plan, but don't know if the one the Dealer offered (from Western General) is good/bad or are there better ones. Help
Janfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #2

We have a new Diplomat on order -- should get here in about 7 weeks. We want to buy an extended service plan, but don't know if the one the Dealer offered (from Western General) is good/bad or are there better ones. Help
Janfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We just picked up our Endeavor (your twin) last Friday and the dealer offered us two extended service plans. One from Western General and the other from Monaco which is similar but more of a continuation of the Monaco warranty. At least thats the way it was explained to me. Both offer basically the same thing. My thinking is to continue with Monaco, why change mid-stream?

My understanding is they are both good for what they offer, but like you, I'm still struggling with the decision. Engine and transmission warranties are now already very good, chassis is covered for 36 Mo's. So most of whats left is the house. I can do a lot of work to the house for the approx $3600 an extended warranty would cost.

Should I jump, it would probably be the 7 year, as it covers all of the above for the duration. The sticking point here is, I doubt I will keep this coach more than 5 years, so I have to ask myself the hard questions about throwing money away when I can put it towards upgrades which I know I'll do anyway.

The justification will be different for each of us. Good luck.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Janfz:
We have a new Diplomat on order -- should get here in about 7 weeks. We want to buy an extended service plan, but don't know if the one the Dealer offered (from Western General) is good/bad or are there better ones. Help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We opted for the policy offered by Monaco Coach. Then again, I bought the GMPP Saturn warranty for my Sky as well.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Janfz...
First of all...welcome to iRV2 and the Monaco Forum!! I can tell you that this happens to be the frendliest and most knowledgable RV forum around. Everyone here is willing to share their thoughts, ideas and solutions...so be ready anytime you ask for info!
If you hit the "Find" button asn search for warranty you will get a page that looks like this...Feel free to read everyone's opinions on it.
I can also tell you that you don't have to buy it when you buy the coach and you do NOT have to buy it from the dealer you buy your coach from. With the Monaco one... you have to have less than 12,000 miles on the coach....

Ok.. now on to more important things ... I would love to give you some "Monaco Karma" ... just say the word....all sorts of Pixie Dust will fly your way ... and you are in...

Again...welcome to iRV2 and the Monaco forum... please visit and post frequently!!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Janfz,

Welcome to the iRV2 Monaco forum, and congratulations on your decision to buy a new Monaco Diplomat. We love ours. I hope you stick around the forum and post often.

Concerning your question about Extended Warranties, here are some things to consider...

1. Any "Extended Warranty", like the Monaco Extended Care Plan and others, is really an insurance policy, not a warranty. It is underwritten by an insurance company, and administered by an insurance administrator. The Monaco plan, for example, is administered by Prizm Administrative Solutions Inc. (near Denver) and currently underwritten by Lyndon Property Insurance Co. (in St. Louis).

2. You don't have to buy your extended warranty plan when you buy the coach. You have almost a year to make your decision. If you are going to buy one, you need to buy it before the first year warranty expires to get the best price and the best coverage. Best to allow at least 3 months of lead time, to get it set up and in place before your warranty expires.

3. Extended warranty plans vary widely. Read the contract carefully before you buy. Know the difference between a "Named Component Plan" and "Exclusionary Coverage". For a new motorhome you want a plan that offers exclusionary coverage, where everything is covered except what is specifically excluded in the policy.

4. What you pay for the very same plan (Including the Monaco Extended Care Plan) varies greatly from vender to vender. There is a lot of mark-up on these polices - especially from RV dealers, and each dealer is free to charge what he wants. You don't have to buy your policy from the same dealer where you purchased your coach - you don't even have to buy it from an RV dealer.

5. You can generally save a lot of money on an Extended Warranty Plan buying from an Internet Broker. There are obvious risks to doing that, as you have to pay for the plan before you receive it. If you buy that way, you want to get a plan that is administered by a well known administrator and check out the vender with them BEFORE you buy. If you don't want to deal with that risk, buy from a reputable RV dealer and pay more. But still shop around for the best deal.

I looked at several plans before I bought and decided on the "Monaco plan". I checked three different dealers and the price for the same plan was more than $1500 apart between the highest and lowest quote. (The dealer where I bought the coach was the most expensive. A dealer in CA, almost 3000 miles from me, was the least expensive.) I ended up buying the very same plan, administered by Prizm, on the Internet for about half what the lowest price dealer quote was, and about 1/3 of what my dealer wanted for it. The plan I bought was this one. The contract reads word-for-word the same as the Monaco Plan, except for the Monaco logo on the top.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you buy from Monaco you will get preferred treatment from them in the service center, I saw this happen while there.

Another consideration is collecting the unused portion of the plan if you sell your coach and do not want to transfer it or it isn't transferable.
When we traded our Safari we collected the unused portion from the warrantor but were told we'd need to collect the unused portion of the dealers fee from the dealer, who was out of business!!! We got stiffed for half of what we should have collected from the policy. I learned at that time that there is an almost 100% markup on these policys.

Ron