Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

Angry Monaco Front Door Hard to Open

Has anyone had the problem of the front door being very hard to open on a Monaco. If so, how did you fix it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Neighbor in the park I spend the winter in has the issue on his 98. Seems worse in the heat of the day ; full sun on the door side of the coach.
Also his entry door posi-lock system doesn't work, to hold the door open , and I've seen another post where the two issues may be related , I'll see if I can track that down and link you to it.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWDIN View Post
Has anyone had the problem of the front door being very hard to open on a Monaco. If so, how did you fix it?
Welcome to the forum.

Give us a little more information. Model and year of coach and exactly what is hard to open? Is it hard to turn the key or physically hard to pull open the door? I know the scissor bar on top of the door gives a lot of grief. And expensive to replace. Several have gone to a ram piston with good results.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You might post it in the Monaco subforum,
think many have adjusted their handles and it might be searched there...
here's one such --> Click here
Old 05-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #5

Some info in this post , that may help .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/door...tch-45807.html
Old 05-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
There's a great post here somewhere with detailed instructions from taping the window to keep it in place, removing door panel and adjusting the two nuts tag extend or contract each latch. My search doesn't work on my iPad ap though.
With the door open-- manually latch the two latches on the door. Now slowly open the handle. Both latches should pop open at the same time with just a bit of handle travel still left. Maybe someone can find that detailed PDF

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA ENERGIZED Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Knight. Sometimes when we're parked in a certain way - perhaps not fully level, the door is a PITA to get open. We have found that if we push firmly against the door just above the lock the door will open.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
On our Windsor we had to slightly push in with our thumb on the door while at the same time opening the handle.
Otherwise you would think it was locked......
Old 05-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
On our Windsor we had to slightly push in with our thumb on the door while at the same time opening the handle.
Otherwise you would think it was locked......

A buddy of mine's door operated like that. He kinda liked the "think it was locked" feature but it became harder and harder until it wouldn't let him in.

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
A buddy of mine's door operated like that. He kinda liked the "think it was locked" feature but it became harder and harder until it wouldn't let him in.

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Save a ton on fuel.....
Old 05-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #11

sticking door

Does your door open OK from the inside. if so the inside handle needs adjusting internally to release the latch. it is fairly simple to do. another problem can be the alignment of the striker bolt on the frame is out of adjustment.
laundry guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Johnboy that is a very interesting find(post) put up by RD who has since passed away. RD had a "Ton" of info on the older Monaco's. The material was passed to another person after his death, but I have not been able to get them to enter into/contribute to posts needing this old info to help with problems. In any event, I found that when I took my door apart somewhat using wedges to separate the inside door panel from the outside...you can see the door handle and the two rods that go up and down to the upper and lower latches. These rods have washers at the ends where the rods operate these two latches...as well as the main door latch(these rods have 90 degree bends in them). These (my) washers had worn and were not holding these moving parts in alignment so as to create play in the outside door handle/latch lever. As I recall these washers had slipped around the bend and was causing binding on occasion. After replacing some of the washers and pins that held the system together(may need a piece of thin flat metal at the bend to hold the washer in place). Mine has worked for about 6-8 years since I did that. However, Mine is 40' so when it is parked and not level, the door still will have some binding, that is just part of the Monaco design of the Diplomat Chassis, it wants to twist when not level or at full Air. Good luck.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
One of the biggest binding points I have found is the two locking pins in the door frame. These need to be loose...lube them (silicone) and work them until they move very freely. Also lube all your pivot points...latching mechanism, claw latches, pivot points on the handles. Several times a year should keep you out of the bind issues.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Here's one of several posts/threads about the entry door latch sticking problem. One year at Quartzsite, "Drifter" and a few others must have adjusted a dozen doors and got them all working smoothly.

Link To Monaco Entry Door Latch Adjustments

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, monaco