Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco Issues Recall

Below is a link to information about a current and just issued Monaco Recall for trailers, this is very interesting, this is the new Monaco RV LLC. Trailers involved in this recall were manufactured both before and after the Chapter 7 and the Navistar takeover!

Is the new Monaco responsible for recalls and if so can we get an NHTSA recall for the trailing arms on the RR4R Chassis and if so would Monaco RV LLC/New Monaco be responsible?

Monaco recalls 47 Holiday Rambler and R-Vision units for improper labeling > RV Daily Report > RV Daily Report | Breaking RV Industry News

Link to NHTSA Recall

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...intVersion=YES
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #2

This is what you call a test case...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogs1 View Post
This is what you call a test case...
I think all RR4R Chassis owners that have had a trailing arm failure, especially those that had the original Monaco recall that subsequently failed should make a report to the NHTSA.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, exactly....but you, myself and many others know "that dog just won't hunt". Old Monaco is already well protected under chapter 7...and without legal input here, I'm not sure an original or current owner could rehash or hope to file a class action (especially of this magnitude)....Old Monaco did in "good faith" try to replace the defective part....it's just the defective replacement part (was exactly the same), and was most likely never tested for failure rate...
The best thing anyone might be able to do is as you mentioned "push for a possible NHTSA or DOT RR4R Chassis Advisory Alert"...(remember that room full of Navistar Monaco lawyers on payroll)...heck the monaco forum on "cracked trailing arms thread" alone has already over 3,000 hits.... bet RV LLC PR is scrubbing these threads..(I sure as heck would), gotta stay two/three steps ahead... The RR4R production went down in flames.....and thus "the hunt begans a-new"!...
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #5

The test case is this...even if they cover another recall of the old Monaco with just a sticker..they are covering one recall of it, thus they acknowledge the need of a recall despite the old or new monaco...This is something you should follow closely because one coverage of an old Monaco makes them answerable for ALL....that's they way the NHTSA would see it.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure their legal eagles have weighed the tradeoffs on liability vs cost of the recall, and the possibility that they may be opening the door for old Monaco liabilities to be serviced. I have a feeling it will require a lawsuit to get them do do anything they aren't planning on doing anyhow.
Pusherpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #7

Here's my guess: NavMon bought "substantially all the assets..." of various portions of OldMon. That probably included Work In Process and probably also standing inventory of completed but unsold rigs. After all, why not get every nut, bolt, screw, etc. since its all in for one bid price. So NavMon probably sold those pre-NavMon rigs after they entered NavMon inventory and is therefore responsible. OldMon products sold by or through OldMon channels carry the (now defuct) OldMon warranty.
Capiche?

RR4R products may exist which fall into the same category, tho they are likely few in number.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Engineer Mike,

Would be a hoot if they did and got a recall for 5 of 5000 coaches because the government let's people get away with such shenanigans!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
I'm sure their legal eagles have weighed the tradeoffs on liability vs cost of the recall, and the possibility that they may be opening the door for old Monaco liabilities to be serviced. I have a feeling it will require a lawsuit to get them do do anything they aren't planning on doing anyhow.

This "recall" is only about issuing 47 letters and 47 "stickers" total cost....$500
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, EngineerMike/Jim this might really get interesting in time.....might even include a CBS "60 minutes essay"on ....how the world's leading number "One RV Coach Giant" lost it's multi-million dollar empire....and it's road to recovery....Always wanted to know what the predicted future outlook is for Monaco...yes, Capiche
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post

This "recall" is only about issuing 47 letters and 47 "stickers" total cost....$500

Mike, wouldn't you think that some bright Lawyer would have told them; Wait for a recall, are you Guys nuts or what, send out the 47 labels and letters and take it to the NHTSA and show them there is no need for a recall and have it done!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Guess their's wasn't too bright! Probably passed the Bar on the the 5th try!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Actually Jim, I agree with their approach.

If it is a simple action (stickers and letters) ...Just do it...then inform the NHTSA that it is a volentary recall.