Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Monaco Knight Drive Shaft Universal Joints

Just spent over $2,000 to replace the drive shaft universal joints. Turns out there was a period of time where the joints were manufactured without the benefit of lubrication points. Anyone know of any recalls on this issue? Repair shop was shocked and said permanently lubricated U-Joints, Bearings, etc. are a myth. Failure occurred at 30,000 and 7 years of service. Drive line shop said this happened over along period of time and was probably built with with a compromised bearing. A lube fitting would have severely mitigated this failure from occurring
WJBatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #2

What kind of drive train do you have WJ? I too just had the drive shaft universals changed out and the job was only about $250 including the universal joints.
I also had the belts replaced and the coolant level topped off and the whole bill was just over a grand.
My rig is a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with a 330 HP Cummins.

Mike
Mtn.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #3

I have a 2004 Monaco Knight and the whole bill was just $3,000. The Drive shaft had to be dropped, 5 hours labor too get out and 5 to get in. The rest was XMSN flush, Coolant Flush, LOF Generator and Main Engine, Lube chassis Jacks and Slides, etc.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBatchelor View Post
I have a 2004 Monaco Knight and the whole bill was just $3,000. The Drive shaft had to be dropped, 5 hours labor too get out and 5 to get in. The rest was XMSN flush, Coolant Flush, LOF Generator and Main Engine, Lube chassis Jacks and Slides, etc.
Did you get a kiss with job? Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #5

I had my coach towed in and the tech on the truck was able, with the help of a $500 tool, to drop my drive shaft in less than a hour.
I don't know how long it took them to get it back in but I think it was less than 90 minutes including putting in the universals.

Mike
Mtn.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

Freightliner universals use four 9/16" bolts to hold each end of the drive shaft. A 5 minute job if I really dog it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #7

WJ, you got took my friend. Who did this work for you? As for as U-Joints they do make sealed units as you are aware now. Now that you have the new ones be sure to grease every 5000 or 6 months.

I just removed my drive shaft so I could clean the splines and it took about 10 min to remove it and 15 to put it back in. I would go back to that shop and demand an explanation and a refund. Even with changing the u-j it should take less than 3 hours if the guy eats lunch. The new joints from NAPA are 35.00 each for my diplomat. I always carry a set in my box.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
$2000-$3000 for u joints?
Gotta be more to it than that...
Glad I do all my own work, too many thieves in this world.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #9

Wow... Unless your drive-line has something I never heard of that was way over pricy. Did they replace the shaft or something as well??? I can take my K2 shaft out in 10mins like others here and that's sipping cocktails while spinning the wrench.

Gease it every 5k miles like indicated, you won't go wrong..
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #10

I neglected to mention that it included rebuilding the damaged drive shaft from Asheville Power Train at $1,100 and machining the damaged Yoke. All I ever felt on the way back from Branson, MO was a little vibration getting close to home. I'm glad it didn't blow out on the road and lose a differential or even damage the transmission. The lack of lube fittings on this series should have warranted a recall. Previous to this series and after this series had them. It must have been obvious to the manufacturer this was a problem. These are heavy duty parts. I don't imagine I'll ever ave this problem again
Old 11-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #11

Driveshaft

I could have an all new driveshaft built for $500.
And like the other folks said, have it installed in about 10 mins.
You got took :-(
Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBatchelor View Post
I neglected to mention that it included rebuilding the damaged drive shaft from Asheville Power Train at $1,100 and machining the damaged Yoke. All I ever felt on the way back from Branson, MO was a little vibration getting close to home. I'm glad it didn't blow out on the road and lose a differential or even damage the transmission. The lack of lube fittings on this series should have warranted a recall. Previous to this series and after this series had them. It must have been obvious to the manufacturer this was a problem. These are heavy duty parts. I don't imagine I'll ever ave this problem again
You are still $1000 to 1500 above what the job should have cost. Check the repair shop out with the Better Business Bureau and see how many complaints are out there. Something just ain't right with this repair.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #13

The U joints cost me $110 with tax. 1 hr to change them out and reinstall the drive line. Thank goodness I can do my own work!
Now I get to do it all over again as the rear end seal is leaking. It's gonna take longer for this job as I have to fabricate tools to pull the yoke and a yoke holder to torque the pinion bolt to 1000+ ft lbs.
I'm replacing the trans output seal too. Don't want to do it again for another 125k miles.
I would have done the seals with the driveline but, Wal-Mart didn't stock the tools when I did it!
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
George,
I know it is a late follow up but do you have part numbers for the u joints?

Tags
monaco