Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #1

Hi, My DH and I just purchased a 2009 Knight 41SKQ, and we did not purchase the extended
warranty. We know we have up to a year to do
it. What are your opinions on this or or against?

Also, How do I become a member of the Monaco Owner's Forum?

DEBBY K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #2

Hi, My DH and I just purchased a 2009 Knight 41SKQ, and we did not purchase the extended
warranty. We know we have up to a year to do
it. What are your opinions on this or or against?

Also, How do I become a member of the Monaco Owner's Forum?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hi DEBBY K...
I can help you with the Monaco Forum Member part....
Welcome to iRV2 & the Monaco Owners Forum!!

Please visit and post often!

MonacoMama

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #4

Thank you Monaco Mama!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DEBBY K:
We know we have up to a year to do
it. What are your opinions on this or or against? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Debby,
I thought we had a year also, but not so. Check out this thread for timing your purchase and also the pros and cons.
CC
Old 09-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #6

Thank you Camelot Camper! My DH & I will certainly be more aware of our time restraints.
And I see we have a little light reading on the
subject. LOL!

Debby K
2009 Knight

Old 09-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Debbie K.....Ask your dealer about a policy called TyreGuard. For about $400.00 they can sell you a policy that will repair or replace your tires for 6years/60000. If you get a flat, they'll pay up to $100.00 for road service. You ruin the tire or rim, they'll replace it. they'll also cover the tires on any vehilce you are towing.

Those are the pros....the cons.....you have to pay up front for your repair and they reimburse you. They were slow reimbursing me, but I only paid $375.00 for my policy and the first damaged tire cost $500.00. They covered it. I'm already ahead.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Put the money you would pay in a money market account each year and in 10 years you will have more money in that account , it will pay for a new anything that wears out. Warranty companies are out to make money so should you. Over 20 years of RV'ing I don't even think about repairs or replacement. I got the money and so could you.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Corvette man is right.
I worked in a dealership all my life "until I retired " The profit they make is unbelivable!
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #10

LOL! I hope you are right! Listening to all of the hoopla with the economy, makes me wonder?

Debby K
2009 Knight 41 SKQ
2005 Acura MDX (Toad)

Old 09-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #11

We have always had bad luck either with or without extended warranties, at least with
household appliances. LOL!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Debby,
We recently purchased our Monaco Extended Care warranty at exactly the 1 year mark. For us the piece of mind was worth the price ~$2700 for 7 years/70K w/ $100 deductable. Many plans term and deductable options were offered and even though we could have saved some signifigant cash by lowering the milage or raising the deductable this seemed reasonble to us. After seeing how well they Oregon factory took care of folks w/ Monaco Extended service plans it was an easy choice for us. Also I am esitmating we would visit the factory at least annually to have our "punch" list addressed so $100 deductable x 6 years also puts us ahead. Our factory service visit in July was excellent and we might do one more trip down there to have some minor things done before ski season starts and we hit the snow every weekend.

2008 Monaco Knight PDQ 38
NW Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
No question - extended warranties are expensive and profitable for the dealers. However, at over $100/hour labor rates and expensive parts and components, they can pay for themselves over time.

I just had repairs done that totaled almost $1600. These included a new Magnadyne dash radio, a broken driver's side power sun visor and the automatic power management circuit board in the AC load center, all covered (after some discussion with the administering company) by my extended warranty.

These extended warranties (insurance policies) provide peace-of-mind that you are not going to be stuck with the cost of a way expensive repair.

If you buy an extended warranty, make sure to fully read and understand the coverage booklet that comes with it. The companies that administer these policies have very strict rules about how to file a claim, their approval process, what they do and don't cover and their appeal process. If these rules are not followed, or if your repair is on their list of exclusions, your claim is not going to be approved.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #14

Good advice. Also keep in mind that these are service plans not a warranty. A punch list will likely have lots of things that are not covered: adjustments, cabinetry, glass, upholstery,chrome, bumpers, body, exhaust sytem, wipers and any other maintenance items. We also have the Monaco plan but they do not decide what is covered. That is up to Prizm, the plan administrator. However Monaco will go to bat to help you with any coverage problems.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote