Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

Monaco or Entegra

Hello all,
I am in the market to purchase our first motor home (we have an airstream) and are trying to decide between the Entegra coach cornerstone, 2016, and Monaco dynasty, either 2016 or 2015. I would like some views from the members of this forum on late model experiences, as well as Freightliner vs Spartan chassis.
Any other info on Monaco reliability and customer service would also be appreciated.
Thank you for your time!
Fred
3xbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Can't say all that much in regards to the reliability of the new Monaco Dynasty, but will say that ARG is really good at standing behind there products. They have a few factory repair centers which are head and shoulders above your average dealer for repairs. From what I've seen of them I would seriously look at them. The Freightliner with the Bridge Chassis that they are using have done well in the American Coach Line.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:46 AM   #3

Can't beat the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty with Entegra. We pick up our second one tomorrow. The Dynasty is a great coach also. Our experience with Entegra has been so positive we saw no reason to switch brands. The Cornerstones are fabulous coaches. We did a 2013 Aspire DEQ and a 2016 Anthem 44B. All coaches will have issues but Entegra is serious about making customers happy. Good luck on your decision.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:20 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
When makng a purchase that large, it is really worth visiting the factories and taking the tours to see how each one is built. That will be the real answer to quality. Also a great time to talk to owners that are there for service work on how they feel the quality is.

As for CS, Entegra is the best CS next to Travel Supreme that I have experienced. The main CS people from Travel Supreme are all at Entegra and still giving the same great CS. The 2 year warranty is a big plus, but the CS does not stop at the end of the warranty.

Of the two companies, Entegra/Jayco is a debt free family owned company and has been since the 1960's. Very impressive to see the complete campus in person.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xbear View Post
Hello all,
I am in the market to purchase our first motor home (we have an airstream) and are trying to decide between the Entegra coach cornerstone, 2016, and Monaco dynasty, either 2016 or 2015. I would like some views from the members of this forum on late model experiences, as well as Freightliner vs Spartan chassis.
Any other info on Monaco reliability and customer service would also be appreciated.
Thank you for your time!
Fred

In the interest of full disclosure, I have lived full time in a Monaco coach for 8 years now and know the company and its coaches quite well.

Through '08, Monaco was a publicly held Corp and was one of the top quality coach builders in the business. Between then and now Monaco went through a very rough patch. They were a part of Navistar and the a couple of years ago were acquired by ASV, a privately held company building speciality vehicles. ASV had previously acquired American Coach and Fleetwood.

Through the ownership changes, Monaco kept together a key group of Monaco employees and they are still with Monaco/Holiday Rambler today. Mike Snell is President of Monaco/Holiday Rambler. When the first Dynasty in the current era came off the line, Mike took his family of an extended trip to troubleshoot. He also drove it to several owner rallies and gatherings to get feedback. Since then Monaco has been re introducing coaches slowly as the designs are ready. The Dynasty and its sister coach the Holiday Rambler Navigator are their top coaches.

I sat in on a presentation in May by the CEO of ASV, Tim Sullivan. They have plans in place for expanding the current service center in Decatur, IN. They are building or acquiring locations around the country and in Canada for regional service centers. In the early spring of this year, the management team at the production facility in Decatur were terminated by Tim Sullivan and a new experienced team from both inside and outside the company were installed. During this time production was halted for 2 weeks and all coaches on hand were put back through QC. Mr Sullivan said that QC and customer service were to important for any employee, management or otherwise to neglect. I know Mike Snell of Monaco quite well and he is completely involved and approachable by any owner.

Since you are early in this process, I encourage you to visit the northern Indiana area and tour the plants. Go to the Tampa Super Show if you can. I certainly can't and won't tell you what you should buy. Plenty of other posters will do that. My purpose is to try to inform you so you can make your decision from a position of knowledge.

Good luck and safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
That's a great post Steve.

I have an Anthem and love Entegra and their customer service and 2 year warranty. THat said, I have several friends with HR or Monaco and they love them. As has often been said, floorplan is maybe the most critical issue when you are looking at coaches of this level. Other good advice already out here is right on target.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
In the interest of full disclosure, I have lived full time in a Monaco coach for 8 years now and know the company and its coaches quite well.

Through '08, Monaco was a publicly held Corp and was one of the top quality coach builders in the business. Between then and now Monaco went through a very rough patch. They were a part of Navistar and the a couple of years ago were acquired by ASV, a privately held company building speciality vehicles. ASV had previously acquired American Coach and Fleetwood.

Through the ownership changes, Monaco kept together a key group of Monaco employees and they are still with Monaco/Holiday Rambler today. Mike Snell is President of Monaco/Holiday Rambler. When the first Dynasty in the current era came off the line, Mike took his family of an extended trip to troubleshoot. He also drove it to several owner rallies and gatherings to get feedback. Since then Monaco has been re introducing coaches slowly as the designs are ready. The Dynasty and its sister coach the Holiday Rambler Navigator are their top coaches.

I sat in on a presentation in May by the CEO of ASV, Tim Sullivan. They have plans in place for expanding the current service center in Decatur, IN. They are building or acquiring locations around the country and in Canada for regional service centers. In the early spring of this year, the management team at the production facility in Decatur were terminated by Tim Sullivan and a new experienced team from both inside and outside the company were installed. During this time production was halted for 2 weeks and all coaches on hand were put back through QC. Mr Sullivan said that QC and customer service were to important for any employee, management or otherwise to neglect. I know Mike Snell of Monaco quite well and he is completely involved and approachable by any owner.

Since you are early in this process, I encourage you to visit the northern Indiana area and tour the plants. Go to the Tampa Super Show if you can. I certainly can't and won't tell you what you should buy. Plenty of other posters will do that. My purpose is to try to inform you so you can make your decision from a position of knowledge.

Good luck and safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
I see that Holiday Rambler has brought back the Scepter also.
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I see that Holiday Rambler has brought back the Scepter also.
An excellent coach.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Best advice...go to Tampa RV show in January and go to the factories. You're talking about spending somewhere just South of a half a mill on a depreciating asset. Floor plan advice is on the mark.

I looked at both, as well as Newmar London Aire (which you should also consider in this price range), and chose Cornerstone. Spartan chassis and two year warrantee, plus customer service played a big part for me. Can't say anything bad about Monaco from experience. Those that have them prior to 2008 (the bad times for many companies) really like their coaches. Maybe not quite so much since then.

All JMHO.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #10

The Tampa RV Super Show in January is a fantastic place to see lots of RV's and vendors. I just looked up the dates and here is a link that provides them as well as other RV show dates and locations in Florida.

FRVTA - Current RV Shows

Enoy,

Stu
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
The Tampa RV Super Show in January is a fantastic place to see lots of RV's and vendors. I just looked up the dates and here is a link that provides them as well as other RV show dates and locations in Florida.

FRVTA - Current RV Shows

Enoy,

Stu
Is there Rv parking at these shows or would I have to take the toad
Jackstraw54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
General parking there...last several years at $20 day as I recall. Take note though, where and how you park in the general lot may result in finding some yahoo parking right next to you door on show days.

WRT other shows in FL, not nearly as extensive. If you're shopping this is the show, along with Pamona in March, and Hershey in Sep.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with verything said above.

While I prefer a Spartan Chassis, I would not turn down a coach just because it did not have a Spartan chassis. I don't think the difference between Spartan and Freightliner is crucial.

The Monaco coaches being made today are made on the American Coach assembly line and are much more akin to an American Coach than to Monacos of old.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
According to website, 2016 Dynasty is on the Roadmaster chassis.

The "Roadmaster" designation is misleading to old Monaco folks as it has no relationship to the Roadmaster chassis of the old Monaco Coach Corp. The name can be used because ASV owns the name. The chassis is built using Freightliner front and rear clips, joined by a bridge type center section.

The move to this type of chassis makes Monaco/HR coaches more like American Coaches but Monaco/HR maintains a staff of designers and engineers who are responsible for specs on both the chassis and coach design.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote