Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Monaco or Essex.

I am looking at a 2005 Monaco CAQ45', a 2006 Monaco Executive 45'and a 2005 Newmar Essex. All 3 are under 30K miles and are priced very close. Both of the Monaco's have the 515 Hp Detroit Series 60 and the Essex has the 500 ISM Cummins. The Essex has an independent front suspension but the archived Monaco Brochure does not say. The Essex rides on 315 tires and the Monaco's on 295's The guy selling the Essex claims the overall build quality of the Essex is superior to Monaco, as well as the ride and handling. I realize that I will likely not be able to tell any difference in just a short test drive. So I'm really asking for help on the plusses and minuses. I realize I am asking this on the Monaco forum so expect a little bias...and I admit I am impressed with horsepower ratings so am leaning towards one of the Monacos. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't allow 15hp difference be the deciding factor. Which floor plan do you like? Does the Essex have IFS (independent front suspension)? These are all good choices to have. Good luck on your choice which ever one it will be. deSanford
Old 12-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You might consider cross posting this on the Newmar Forum as well. We owned a "pre "Monaco" 2002 Beaver Patriot which I considered a superior coach to Monaco... but our current Newmar Essex... well, it's a phenomenal coach!!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

Its a really broad question to ask in a forum. I haven't own any of the models that you listed. But have owned from both manufacturers, albeit models lower on the foodchain.

The Newmar is a excellent product, and equally comparable to Monaco/Holiday Rambler. I suspect that it wouldn't take much to rattle the chains of other owners so I will say the following with caution:

I suspect that the ride and handling of the Newmar will not be that much different from the Monaco.

Don't let 295 vs 315 tires play a big roll in your process

Both the Detroit and the Cummins are great engines, but I will suggest that the Cummins will be more reasonable to maintain and will probable get better MPG.

FWIW: I would let overall condition, maintenance history and floorplan lead the way to your next coach.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
You might consider cross posting this on the Newmar Forum as well. We owned a "pre "Monaco" 2002 Beaver Patriot which I considered a superior coach to Monaco... but our current Newmar Essex... well, it's a phenomenal coach!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hunter View Post
Its a really broad question to ask in a forum. I haven't own any of the models that you listed. But have owned from both manufacturers, albeit models lower on the foodchain.

The Newmar is a excellent product, and equally comparable to Monaco/Holiday Rambler. I suspect that it wouldn't take much to rattle the chains of other owners so I will say the following with caution:

I suspect that the ride and handling of the Newmar will not be that much different from the Monaco.

Don't let 295 vs 315 tires play a big roll in your process

Both the Detroit and the Cummins are great engines, but I will suggest that the Cummins will be more reasonable to maintain and will probable get better MPG.

FWIW: I would let overall condition, maintenance history and floorplan lead the way to your next coach.
Thanks for your replies, I know I have a lot to learn; in my searching it appears that an IFS is a better riding/handling suspension, so am asking for real time experience to verify. Also in looking at tire charts pertaining to load rating I find that the 315 tire can run at a lower air pressure for the same amount of load as a 295, therefore would it offer a softer ride? Not trying to overthink this, and as stated earlier floor plan and other things are very important also...just trying to make the most intelligent buying decision I can...considering depreciation, I'm hoping not to regret my purchase choice and want to trade very soon
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Can't speak to your choices, but 315s and IFS make for a nice ride. Don't know if the Newmar Comfort Drive goes back that far, but Newmar owners are solidly sold on that as well.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #7

I had comfort drive on my 2008 Newmar and found it helped alot with the very short 3303 DP Ventana that we had. As you probably know short DP's can have a tendancy to tail-wag and so on in strong crosswinds. (that's a whole other topic). I don't suspect you will find the Comfort Drive option on a 2007 Spartan K2 chassis though.

I run 315's on the steers of my Scepter. They are great for the front end of the Roadmaster chassis. However they may not fit on the Monacos that you are looking at due to air bag location. (Just in case you think you may oversize later). As far as air pressure and ride goes, I do carry same weight with my 315's as the 295's before them did and at a slightly lower pressure - but remember the 315's on the Essex are there for a reason and they MAY be carrying more weight then the front load of the Monaco's - therefore you may not be able to run them at a lower pressure.

As far as IFS goes. I understand you will get a great ride out of it, I also understand its not as robust as a I-beam design and you will be faced with higher service costs when it comes time to do any work on the IFS.
Know there are ways to improve the ride on the solid front suspension of the Monaco/HR products if you go that route.

Good Luck shopping!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This is being discussed here.

Closed Thread

Tags
monaco