RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #1

Angry Monaco owner

I have a 98 Monaco Diplomat that I have owned 4.5 years. During that time I have broken 2 driver side windshields while leveling the coach. As you might imagine it is very frustrating and expensive. I think I'm not using the correct procedure in leveling the RVA 3 point manual levers. I have recently read some blogs on leveling and one thing that I have learned is I haven't been putting the 1 driver side slide out first. I have extended it after leveling. I found out that it is the first thing to do when I start the leveling process. My question is, do I extend the front leveler first or the 2 rear ones first. I have been lowering the front first and in the process broken a couple of windshields. If anyone knows about this problem and how to correctly level the coach I own I would be much appreciative. I am a new member to IRv2 and welcome any expertise.
Regards.
Monaco owner

Monaco owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #2

Hello,

For my coach the order for setting up:
large front slides
small rear slides
if using jacks:
dump air as needed
extend front jack
extend rear jacks
level as needed

For travel:
Air up
retract jacks (if dumped air before extended, the jacks will be off the ground)
small rear slides
large front slides

The user manual has a few notes/cautions:

NOTE:
Perform the slide-out room operation with the air suspension system full.

CAUTION:
Prior to any leveling procedures it is important that all jacks are in contact with the ground so the frame is properly stabilized. Once all jacks are in contact with the ground, extend the front jack an additional inch. This allows the front jack to act as a pivot point. Incrementally extend each jack in such a manner as not to apply excessive stress/twist to the frame, reducing the ability of any one jack to induce excessive stress/twist.

Mark

Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I believe you are suppose to lower the front jack first but just raise the coach about ~3/4", this allows the coach to pivot on the jack.

I'll then level side to side using the rear jacks, and then finally raise the front to level.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #4

On our previous 2008 Monaco Dynasty, we had both airbag and hydraulic auto level. Or, I could do it manually. I would generally use the air leveling on softer surfaces and the hydraulic legs on concrete/hard compact surface.

In automatic mode, the right rear would usually go down first, then the left rear, then the front tripod. We never broke a windshield.

Our procedure on that coach was to put out the slides at ride height then level the coach. The same procedure is for our Prevost..... slides out, then level.

Mark
Old 06-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I believe you are suppose to lower the front jack first but just raise the coach about ~3/4", this allows the coach to pivot on the jack.

I'll then level side to side using the rear jacks, and then finally raise the front to level.
I owned a 99 diplomat for 6 years with the 3 jack system. The procedure Jim has given is exactly how I leveled my coach every time. I never had any windshield problems from leveling using this procedure. I always deploy my slides while at ride height, then dump out some air to lower the steps, and last level the coach.Has always worked for me.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #7

You did not say where you have been cracking your windshield, was both times in the same place.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a 2008 HR 40PDQ and when we park mostly level.

Put out the support wood under the jacks if not on concrete

Extend the 2 front big slides then 2 rear slides.

Dump air

Then manual level starting at the jack that shows low per the panel. No raising per say just supporting.

When leaving we start up until full air then retract the jacks and then the rear slides and front slides. Not sure if that is totally correct but our one piece WS has not had an issue.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you ever have to replace the windshield again, have the installer pre-fit the glass without the seal to check that there is proper spacing between the frame and the glass.

Some Monaco owners have reported that their frame opening is not sized/cut correctly (too tight in some places) which puts stress on the glass. Then any twisting of the frame during leveling or driving up on a curb or such, cracks the glass.
So your installer should dry fit and make sure there is an even gap between the glass and frame and grind down any high spots, before installing the glass in the seal.
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think there were some issues with certain years and models, I know I've seen early 2000s Camelot owners talk about a kit to reinforce the windshield frame.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It was called a Halo Kit.

Monaco Camelot Windshield Cracking

Tags
monaco