Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 11:04 PM   #1

monaco part question

Hey guys, my bride an I are ready to step into the Class A world. New to Class A's but not new to Rv's. Our budget only allows for about 60-70k right now. So, I am thinking about getting a decent moderate upper end coach, well taken care of, 03-05 mfg years, 37-40', DP, 350+HP w side rad and ideally hydronic heat as we live in the NW and will be using it during the shoulder months and sometimes in the winter. Will initially be using it for Vacations, but in three years ready for retirement and use for extended trips.

My list that I narrowed to was the following, Monaco- Dynasty, Windsor, Diplomat, Beav Contesa, HR Imp,Scept,Endeav, Tiffen- Phaeton, Bus, Newmar- DS, MntnA, Ventana, CountryC- Allure, Inspire

Two questions: 1) should I be looking at an additional brands?
2) My father-inlaw asked why I was looking at Monaco products, since it is unlikely any parts for body damage will be easy to find.

Your thoughts?
mjbsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 03:00 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You might add American Coach as they built some quality coaches during those years.

You won’t find it difficult getting body damage repaired on a Monaco.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbsc View Post
Hey guys, my bride an I are ready to step into the Class A world. New to Class A's but not new to Rv's. Our budget only allows for about 60-70k right now. So, I am thinking about getting a decent moderate upper end coach, well taken care of, 03-05 mfg years, 37-40', DP, 350+HP w side rad and ideally hydronic heat as we live in the NW and will be using it during the shoulder months and sometimes in the winter. Will initially be using it for Vacations, but in three years ready for retirement and use for extended trips.

My list that I narrowed to was the following, Monaco- Dynasty, Windsor, Diplomat, Beav Contesa, HR Imp,Scept,Endeav, Tiffen- Phaeton, Bus, Newmar- DS, MntnA, Ventana, CountryC- Allure, Inspire

Two questions: 1) should I be looking at an additional brands?
2) My father-inlaw asked why I was looking at Monaco products, since it is unlikely any parts for body damage will be easy to find.

Your thoughts?
If hydronic heat is a must have then you will find that the Diplomat, Phaeton, and Ventana will most likely not have that feature. Hydronic heat was also an option on many coaches of that period so you would need to examine each individual coach to be sure that feature is available. Those that have hydronic heat seem to love it and bare the cost and burden of yearly maintenance. Many of the units are located in difficult locations for maintenance and almost require a contortionist to service them. You might want to avoid coaches with the hydronic unit located in the center of a bay.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Most RV parts are pretty common and can be found if you know where to look. I own a 2002 Monaco Windsor and belong to the uahoo Monacoers group, they have an extensive parts list developed for Monaco's and HR motor homes, a great resource and the group has extensive knowledge just like IRV2.

Although Monaco as a company doesn't exist they still support the coaches and you can contact them if in need of parts and/or technical information.

Used body parts can be obtained from salvage yards if other options are available.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You left the Camelot off your list. It's the 'bottom' of the side radiator list, also equivalent to a HR Scepter. We have an '06 Camelot with Hydro-Hot and love it. Yes, the unit is buried in the center, but there are sliding access doors to the next bay which provide plenty of access, albeit with a little contortion.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

The Monaco Windsors and those above them were great coaches in those year models! We love our Windsor!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #7

I have to agree with Joe. We have a 2004 Windsor, aqua heat, 400hp, 4 slides, natural cherry wood trim. We love it. No matter witch one you pick, there will always be things to fix. That's what R.V. stands for, REPAIR VEHICLE. But those things have been very minor. It's a well built rig.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 AM   #8

i think he was thinking in terms of if I damage the end cap or crack the blinker or brake light lenses. However, as I was thinking about this , is there a source for the rail master chassis still? Navistar didn't continue the chassis did they? It is likely I will keep the coach for 10 years with tlc
mjbsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The chassis is made of common components so parts can be found.

I replaced both my head lights and tail lights on my 2002 Chassis, not a big deal once you find the part #'s. Headlights were actually from a Lincoln and taillights were Jeep.

Any major body damage to fiberglass in a lot of cases can be repaired by a good shop. If you do damage the front or rear cap to the extent it can't be repaired the coach would be totaled unless you could find that item in salvage yard but that's a long shot.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco