Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #29

I laugh when people say "for this price..."

Any limited production, complex and expensive piece of machinery subjected to a challenging environment will will need far more repairs than a massed produced Toyota.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by archrist View Post
Thanks to everyone who has responded. Couple points;
a) This is not my 1st RV.
b) I am used to fixing things on the coach every single time i take it out.. I have personally fixed the "Auto" leveling system 4 times so far.. not to mention long long list of other items
c) I would send a picture, however coach in an authorized RV repair shop now (which is 2 hour drive away).. The RV Repair shop informed me that Monoco should cover this.. and they had also called both Monoco and Extended Warranty folks to provide them their view.. which is similar to mine. A fundamental Monoco issue that they should have stepped up to plate to fix.
d) I have spoken to many Tiffin owners who informed me that the Customer Service they get is outstanding.. including them fixing items that are way way our of warranty for free. Especially when something like this.
TIFFIN you got to be kidding me!!! My 11 Tiffin Bus is a rolling pos. If I wrote everything that has been fixed or attempted to be fixed on the side of the RV I would run out of space. Even sent it back to the factory and had to fix a slide malfunction and other things and when it came back it broke the next time out plus more issues. I should have let it burn when the exhaust broke and it caught fire.
boaterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #31

Thanks. I am not experienced with quality of TIFFIN.. was just talking about what I had heard from many owners.. that when they have issues.. TIFFIN company took care of them.. even if out of warranty.. Customer Service statement.. vs which has better quality. thx. Currently thinking about a Newmar Essex.
archrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #32

Wow.. definitely a can of worms! I won't get into naming one manufacturer vs another however, if you work on these things on a daily basis, working in areas BEHIND the shiny finishes, creature comforts and "competitive marketing designs" you quickly see huge differences of quality in workmanship, assembly and design. I certainly understand archrist's frustration, and it is justifiable regardless of the price range you've entered into.

It is painfully obvious that *most* engineers/designers don't ever have to repair what they've designed - it's an age-old problem that will never go away; manufacturing and design vs reality in just about any vehicle. I know that space is tight and at a premium, however, looking at some things makes you just want to shake your head. It can take hours of disassembly in many cases to fix the easiest of things. Gaining access to the problem is where the majority of the labor hours are encountered.

In an effort to cut costs, many shortcuts are designed into production - regardless of manufacturer. Take a look behind most any AC/DC bay and you'll cringe at the rats nest of wiring (except for Newell's).

Here are some common ideas that turned out badly.. and in most cases we are seeing reversed now:
Rear radiator vs side radiator? (oh my...)
Genset on a slide tray vs fixed? (this needs no comment)
Electric levelers vs Hydraulic? (no brainer)
Cabinet/interior doors that can be left open and crushed in a slideout?
Outside compartment bay doors that hinge from the bottom? (really?!)
Outside compartment bay doors hinged from the top that open beyond 90 degrees located right underneath the furnace exhaust? (really?!?)
Having to go to 4 different places around the RV to winterize?

Oh I could go on and on and on.... and I'm quite each of us could add items to an ever growing laundry list of faux pas' we've encountered. All manufacturers are guilty, but the OP certainly the right to "bi*ch" :-)

Just my $0.02 cents worth.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
My advice no matter which "REPAIR VEHICLE" you purchase is to make out your loooong list of issues and take it back to the place that manufactured it and get it fixed during the 1 year warranty. After that you are on your own more or mostly less. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #34

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Here are some common ideas that turned out badly.. and in most cases we are seeing reversed now:
94-Newmar, I just upgraded from a 2001 Ambassador to a 2010 Scepter and was excited about the slide out genset and the side radiator. I have not had the vehicle long enough to become disenchanted. Is there something I should be looking for that will ruin my day?
Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #35

No I'm ecstatic about the return of side radiators and slide out gensets! Soooooooo much easier to work on and service. You know if the coach engine or genset never needed repair or maintenance then fine - bury them so they can't be accessed :-) stupid idea in my opinion and regardless of what the engineers say the bad certainly cannot outweigh the good.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #36

Heartland RV Club
Glad to hear that. I really like being able to see my Cummins and I am sure the slide out genset will make service much easier.

I hear the comments about Monaco workmanship and quality, but of all the RVs I looked at over the last six months, only the Monacos and the Newmars caught my eye. I always came back to looking for a Monaco built product. I may regret it some day, but for now, I really like my Scepter.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #37

94newmar. I think you are being unfair to the RV mfrs. They use side rads to keep the unit within a price point. Same for genset slide outs. Those 2 items could bring a basic coach into the lower end of the mid price range.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
email

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLImperial View Post
Diplomat Don suggests a notepad to jot down what is needed for the coach. Instead,I mounted a small eraseable board on the inside of a kitchen cabinet. It is always there, and I can write things down before they disappear from my failing memory.

Diced Lucas. '04 HR Imperial

The way we keep track of the broken and forgot list of items
(which is every trip) is to email them.

We send them to both Mr. and Mrs. from the smartphone as we
are going down the road.

Makes them a bit harder to forget we we get 'home'.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Wow.. definitely a can of worms! I won't get into naming one manufacturer vs another however, if you work on these things on a daily basis, working in areas BEHIND the shiny finishes, creature comforts and "competitive marketing designs" you quickly see huge differences of quality in workmanship, assembly and design. I certainly understand archrist's frustration, and it is justifiable regardless of the price range you've entered into.

It is painfully obvious that *most* engineers/designers don't ever have to repair what they've designed - it's an age-old problem that will never go away; manufacturing and design vs reality in just about any vehicle. I know that space is tight and at a premium, however, looking at some things makes you just want to shake your head. It can take hours of disassembly in many cases to fix the easiest of things. Gaining access to the problem is where the majority of the labor hours are encountered.

In an effort to cut costs, many shortcuts are designed into production - regardless of manufacturer. Take a look behind most any AC/DC bay and you'll cringe at the rats nest of wiring (except for Newell's).

Electric levelers vs Hydraulic? (no brainer)
Cabinet/interior doors that can be left open and crushed in a slideout?
Outside compartment bay doors that hinge from the bottom? (really?!)
Outside compartment bay doors hinged from the top that open beyond 90 degrees located right underneath the furnace exhaust? (really?!?)
Having to go to 4 different places around the RV to winterize?

Oh I could go on and on and on.... and I'm quite each of us could add items to an ever growing laundry list of faux pas' we've encountered. All manufacturers are guilty, but the OP certainly the right to "bi*ch" :-)

Just my $0.02 cents worth.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

As a newbie I need a bit of explanation.

Gen-set on a slider. Is fixed better, why?
Rear radiator better? Why?
Which levelers are better?

Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #40

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

As a newbie I need a bit of explanation.

Gen-set on a slider. Is fixed better, why?
Rear radiator better? Why?
Which levelers are better?

Thanks again!
In my opinion (IMO), a gen-set that slides forward when you open the front hatch (on a diesel pusher of course) is easier to service, therefore better.

A side mounted radiator leaves the rear of the coach open when you open the rear hatch and makes it easier to get to the diesel, therefore better.

Hydraulic levelers tend to be more reliable, therefore better.

Wiley
Old 05-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Man View Post
In my opinion (IMO), a gen-set that slides forward when you open the front hatch (on a diesel pusher of course) is easier to service, therefore better.

A side mounted radiator leaves the rear of the coach open when you open the rear hatch and makes it easier to get to the diesel, therefore better.

Hydraulic levelers tend to be more reliable, therefore better.

Wiley
Presently have "air leveling" on our 05 dynasty and really like it. Very easy to set up after a stop, dump air and push one button on the pad. No jacks to put pads under and no hydraulic repairs to jacks. Pro's and con's to both hydraulic and air leveling but I have been very satisfied with the air leveling.
Regarding workmanship, I have no complaints about our 05 and feel the quality is exceptional for a production line coach. I had an old school cabinet maker visit with us a while back and he could not believe the quality, fit and finish of the cherry woodwork inside the coach. I think he ran his hand over every joint and piece of wood inside and still talks about it today. The one complaint that I have is with the Velvac mirrors finish. Seems like the finish on the mounting part of the mirror bubbles and peels after just a few years. Wish they had used a stainless mount.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post

Presently have "air leveling" on our 05 dynasty and really like it. Very easy to set up after a stop, dump air and push one button on the pad. No jacks to put pads under and no hydraulic repairs to jacks. Pro's and con's to both hydraulic and air leveling but I have been very satisfied with the air leveling.
Regarding workmanship, I have no complaints about our 05 and feel the quality is exceptional for a production line coach. I had an old school cabinet maker visit with us a while back and he could not believe the quality, fit and finish of the cherry woodwork inside the coach. I think he ran his hand over every joint and piece of wood inside and still talks about it today. The one complaint that I have is with the Velvac mirrors finish. Seems like the finish on the mounting part of the mirror bubbles and peels after just a few years. Wish they had used a stainless mount.
If you want to fix your mirror bases, contact "Space Coast Plating". On the east coast of Florida. If you send them your base they will prep and do a first class job of plating. The Owner of the shop is a Monaco owner.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco