Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #1

Monaco Question

Hello all. I went to a dealer yesterday that advised me NOT to buy a Monaco MH due to the fact that I may have BIG problems getting parts for these vehicles. I believe I already know the answer but would like to hear from Monaco owners about this. The DW and I have our eyes on a few units that might suit us well.
FlxibleMetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have not had any trouble finding parts for my 2000 Monaco Windsor. I have replaced many parts over the years. Even though Monaco has changed several times over the years, the Monaco customer service line still supports the units. Personally I would not let parts availability be the Deciding factor. The engine is cummins, the chassis roadmaster, the tranny Allison etc... sounds more like your salesman has an altering motive like markup in mind.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlxibleMetro View Post
Hello all. I went to a dealer yesterday that advised me NOT to buy a Monaco MH due to the fact that I may have BIG problems getting parts for these vehicles. I believe I already know the answer but would like to hear from Monaco owners about this. The DW and I have our eyes on a few units that might suit us well.
They must want to sell you a different brand. Idk what year your looking at or model but we just bought a 2000 dynasty 3 months ago and I've gotten many parts. The chassis parts mostly are made of heavy duty truck parts that are readily available. Even the inside parts are available. I can tell you if it's an older Monaco there built stronger, better and way more quality than most new motor homes. You won't go wrong with the brand as long as it's been taken care of. If you call Monaco and give them the serial number they can email you a window sticker from new and a data card with almost all of the model numbers and serial numbers of the components used in the couch. Between that and the great ppl in this forum you can get just about anything answered.
Cdr151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Bought mine a little less then three years ago as the third owner. Have had very little go wrong. Even though the Knight is not the top of the Monaco line, it has been a reliable RV. I would watch for units manufactured during the crash in '08, but I think earlier units are the best value out there - at least from my limited perspective.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The entire RV industry crashed in 2009. Monaco (as well as all RV manufacturers) built motor homes using parts from various sub vendors. Yes, some of the sub vendors are out of business, but that part would also not be available for any of the other manufacturers that built motor homes.

For the most part, there are replacement parts available even for the sub vendor parts that are no longer in business. Because Monaco was one of the largest manufacturers, they are very popular and parts are readily available.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsallach View Post
I have not had any trouble finding parts for my 2000 Monaco Windsor. I have replaced many parts over the years. Even though Monaco has changed several times over the years, the Monaco customer service line still supports the units. Personally I would not let parts availability be the Deciding factor. The engine is cummins, the chassis roadmaster, the tranny Allison etc... sounds more like your salesman has an altering motive like markup in mind.
X2!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #7

We've owned ours for 14 years now, no problems getting parts for the chassis or house. As others have said, all major components were supplied by other outside vendors. Ours is an entry level unit and it has the same "name" brand parts as other more expensive coaches have Monaco or otherwise; Allison, Cummins, Dana, Dometic, Sharp, Thetford, etc. Replacement parts are pretty much readily available anywhere. I've even been able to get body parts after an accident. YMMV

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If you see a Monaco you like, go for it. We've had ours 5 years and have had no trouble getting any parts needed except for a replacement screen door. Seems Monaco custom built our screen door in house so no standard replacements. Otherwise we love the coach.

The dealer can't make any money selling Monacos, so naturally he'd tell you not to get one.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Unless you are looking for front or rear caps or other body parts you should not have any trouble. With the exception of the frame and fiberglass body, most of the parts and appliances are from industry vendors. No matter what brand of coach you own you may have trouble finding parts for older coaches when the original manufacturer of those parts has gone out of business. Many things can be substituted from other sources. If you have the need for body parts they can often be found at salvage yards. Many of us have coaches older than ten years and don't have a problem. Purchase what you want and ignore salesman speak.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations on thinking through your purchase. And the sales person has his own his own agenda. You came to the right place to ask your question. Here's my answer.

Back in 02 my wife and I found what for us was the perfect Coach. A very lightly use 02 Beaver Santiam 40' w/2 Slides.
Unfortunately in 06 we had an engine fire that consumed our dream.

Our recovery period took 11 years. During that time we refused to give up on our love of RVing. This meant an 07 - 31' "C" class which was like a rebound romance and was never going to work. We then moved​ sideways into a 2012 - 35' 5th wheel which served us well until a few weeks ago.

We always said if the situation was right for us we'd move back into a class "A" again.

We had several different brands present themselves to choose from. What we finally selected was an 06 Monaco Knight 38' PDQ.

We are very pleased with the fit and finish and the price point is similar to our 02 Beaver. It felt like we stepped back in time but with the upgrades of a 4 year newer Coach.

Needless to say I/we highly recommend any of the Monaco product lines (Beaver, Safari, Holiday Rambler, and Monaco).

Happy shopping and I hope you find your perfect Coach.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #11

Thank you all for the postings. I pretty much knew that he has a goal in selling me something off their lot. I appreciate all of the info very much. The DW and I shall continue our research and forge onward towards a possible purchase.
FlxibleMetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Little story that still makes me laugh. I had a wiper problem with our coach, called REV got the part info, found it on line cheaper, installed it. My friend has a newer Tiffin, had a wiper problem, part discontinued, the redesign was ordered and upon arrival realized it will not work, sent it back and lost the shipping charges. He had to have parts fabricated, coach only had one wiper for a month. His parts were specific to that coach, mine are a standard in the trucking industry.
I told him to call Bob and send him a cabinet door for an autograph
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wouldn't worry about it. We (now I) bought a '09 CC and haven't had any problems getting parts, although in reality the only problems have been the engine and that's a Cummins. Glass, to replace the fogging windows has been no problem either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #14

Quote:

Typical dealer scare tactic. If they happened to have a Monaco you were interested in, the story would be different.

My wife and I have lived full time in our Monaco for over ten years now. Never had a problem with availability. There are few parts that are specific to any model or brand. I would head off to Alaska tomorrow with full confidence in our coach.

Monaco build many wonderful coaches during the ownership of Monaco Coach Corp.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco