Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco Signature Battery Disconnect Problem!

We are having some issue with our battery disconnect not working, now some really strange things are happening, anyone have experience with battery disconnects?

Anyone out there have any simillar issues?

Best regards,

Gary
gooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you referring to the battery shut off switch in the battery bay? What type of problems are you having? On mine, I had a broken switch replaced by the Dealer. When they replaced it, they flexed the stiff cables and cracked the new switch. It would intermittently make or not make contact.

The switch is relatively easy to replace.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are talking about the switch near the from step then I would look for problems with the relay. On many coaches the switch controls a relay located in the electrical compartment right under the drivers window. My relay is inside the large box where most of the fuses are located. You may want to try putting a jumper around the relay. Take a look at this thread to see a full discussion of the problem.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The led on my diconnect switch doesn't work anymore. Looks like it isn't replacable without a lot of trouble.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #5

Derrick

One of my switches had an LED burn out as well.....Was able to find the exact switch construction and then I went to an electronics surplus site and ordered two of the switches...Cost is about $10 if the place has them..Monaco wanted $32 for it and then the supplier wanted a minimum order from them..Just PM me if you need more information...I'd pull the panel and see how many connectors are on the switch and then I'd point you in the right direction...I'm just nuts when bulbs don't work...in fact---I'm just nuts!!!
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My Battery Disconnect Relay went bad a few months back. The inside switch by the entry door was okay and worked fine. The Monaco Tech person I had called on the phone said to simply remove the HD Red battery lead from the one side and mount it to the other lug where the second HD Red cable is attached. This simply jumpers the relay giving you 12 volt power once again. A quick temporary fix. Now I have researched as to where I can purchase a replacement Battery Disconnect Relay. The one from Monaco was $150 and I wasn't going to pay that price so I finally found one at this web site for $57 plus shipping.

RV Parts Express - Generators, RV, Carrier, **Battery** Tender, Reese, Trailer Hitches, Airstream, Power Inverter, and Portable Generators at rvparts.com

I asked the Monaco Tech people if this particular unit would work and they said that they are now using the very same unit on their new coaches. The old one was made by White-Rogers and the new one is made by Intellitec which is a far better relay and a lot cheaper too.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My Battery Disconnect Relay went bad a few months back. The inside switch by the entry door was okay and worked fine. The Monaco Tech person I had called on the phone said to simply remove the HD Red battery lead from the one side and mount it to the other lug where the second HD Red cable is attached. This simply jumpers the relay giving you 12 volt power once again. A quick temporary fix. Now I have researched as to where I can purchase a replacement Battery Disconnect Relay. The one from Monaco was $150 and I wasn't going to pay that price so I finally found one at this web site for $57 plus shipping.

RV Parts Express - Generators, RV, Carrier, **Battery** Tender, Reese, Trailer Hitches, Airstream, Power Inverter, and Portable Generators at rvparts.com

I bought 2 and am keeping one in the compartment just in case.

I asked the Monaco Tech people if this particular unit would work and they said that they are now using the very same unit on their new coaches. The old one was made by White-Rogers and the new one is made by Intellitec which is a far better relay and a lot cheaper too.
I just replaced my relay. I think this is the part # you wanted to link to.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gordon,

I hope I didn't order the wrong part to replace the White-Rogers Battery Disconnect Relay. There are certainly differences between the two parts, yours and mine. Can you tell me what made you decide to order part #181-LR9806CBIP versus part #31-0100055000?

Before I actually submitted the order, I had sent an email to Monaco Tech with photos and descriptions of two different models, unfortunately, part #181-LR9806CBIP was not one of them. They wrote back saying that the relay part #31-0100055000 was the one they were currently using versus part #31-0100055002. Maybe I've ordered the wrong part. I have not received it yet. It should be here next week. Hopefully, this can be straighten out soon before I possibly cause a huge electrical problem in my coach. By the way, after looking up part #181-LR9806CBIP, there wasn't much of any description listed to determine how it operates and if it would work for my application.

Any information and help would be very appreciated. I don't profess to be an Electrical Engineer and I know enough about it to be very dangerous.

Thanks, Richard.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again Gordon,

I installed the part that I had originally ordered and referred to in my previous post from RV Parts Express, part #31-0100055000, and it works as advertised. Easy to install, used the same mounting holes, however had to purchase a longer battery cable due to the different location of the lug posts and not being able to make the turn to connect the BAT cable end to the post.

I only purchased one because I figured that if it goes again, I would simply bypass it once again until I have received a new one to install, instead of having one sit in storage not being used.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi once again Gordon,

Well, only after about 24 hours of use with that particular relay, it just burned up today. As I said before in another post, I know enough about electrical things to be very dangerous. Thankfully, the relay didn't cause a fire in my coach. So, when I had previously contacted the Monaco Tech people before I had ordered the part and they told me that it was the same one that they were using, obviously, they don't know what they are talking about either. After listening to the results of a few of the last calls I have made to the Monaco Tech people with little or no help at all, I have lost my confidence that they know what they are talking about. It is obvious that the people that used to be at the Tech help line are no longer there and they must have hired some newbies off the street.

So, for now, I have bypassed the relay once again, until I can sort out this electrical mess that I have caused and get the correct relay ordered for my coach.

Richard.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #11

Front bay Disconnect relay

Hi,
If this is the relay in the front drivers run bay to turn off all power to the coach do your self a favour and bypass it and leave it bypassed. It will always be a problem.
Done on both our last 2 coaches
Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Hi Gordon,

I hope I didn't order the wrong part to replace the White-Rogers Battery Disconnect Relay. There are certainly differences between the two parts, yours and mine. Can you tell me what made you decide to order part #181-LR9806CBIP versus part #31-0100055000?

Before I actually submitted the order, I had sent an email to Monaco Tech with photos and descriptions of two different models, unfortunately, part #181-LR9806CBIP was not one of them. They wrote back saying that the relay part #31-0100055000 was the one they were currently using versus part #31-0100055002. Maybe I've ordered the wrong part. I have not received it yet. It should be here next week. Hopefully, this can be straighten out soon before I possibly cause a huge electrical problem in my coach. By the way, after looking up part #181-LR9806CBIP, there wasn't much of any description listed to determine how it operates and if it would work for my application.

Any information and help would be very appreciated. I don't profess to be an Electrical Engineer and I know enough about it to be very dangerous.

Thanks, Richard.
I'm sorry Richard that I did not respond earlier. I just got an update e-mail for this thread, but for some reason don't remember getting one for your post.

In answer to your question, when I took my relay off, on the back it was listed as "Monaco 181-LR9806CBIP " so, that is what I was looking for.

I'm sorry that your new one burned out so quick.

I also talked with Monaco Tech. I was told that the 181-LR9806CBIP was the desired replacement for older type solenoids. The purpose of the circuit board was that it was supposed to automatically reset the system in 4 to 5 minutes if you lost 12 volt power. At this point, I don't know how to advise you, except that many people say "just bypass it".

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. Well after a more extensive research on other forums, I was able to determine that my older White Rodgers relay was a continuous use relay with a simple SPST on/off switch at the door. The Intellitec relay that I had purchased would have worked correctly if I had a DPDT momentary on - off - momentary on type of switch at the front door. So I did order the wrong relay for my application. However after reading all of the commentary regarding the two types of relays, the older type that is continuous is not preferred to the second type with the momentary type switch. This is due to the fact that with the older continuous relay, there is always a draw on the batteries when it is in the ON position, regardless of whether anything in the coach is drawing current. The newer one draws no current once it is Latched, hence the term Latching Relay. So I am going to buy the correct type switch first, and re-wire it to operate the relay correctly. Today, I am taking the relay off to see if it is really burned out or maybe just one of the 5 amp fuses burned out, not sure. Hopefully, it was only one of those small fuses on each end is the reason I lost my 12 volt power.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #14

Hi Gordon
I am in process of replacing my relay switch (solenoid) on our Monaco Diplomat 2004. The solenoid that you posted is similar except for that circuit board on the front that has a white wire going from the + to _ small connector on the front. I am wondering if the purple wire that connects to the small negative connector on the front still needs to be connected since that purple wire leads to the Salesman's Switch located at the main entry???
Thank you in advance as this forum has been really helpful in my solving the 12v house power problem.
rcote52738 is offline   Reply With Quote