RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #1

Monaco Signature won't shut off.

Hello. I have an 01 Signature with a Cummins ISM 500. When I turn the ignition off, the engine will not shut down. I think the ignition switch is working because accessories turn off with the switch. I have to throw the main batt switches in the battery bay to kill the engine. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? Thanks for any suggestions!

rphcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You should have a relay in the rear run box in the engine compartment that supplies power to the fuel shutoff. My guess is that it has welded the contacts together and needs replacing. If it is similar to my Sig the relay should be at the top of the RRB just to the right of the remote rear start switch. I believe that it is labeled. It should be a small square black cube type relay. You could try pulling that relay out with the motor running and see if it shuts down.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphcampers View Post
Hello. I have an 01 Signature with a Cummins ISM 500. When I turn the ignition off, the engine will not shut down. I think the ignition switch is working because accessories turn off with the switch. I have to throw the main batt switches in the battery bay to kill the engine. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? Thanks for any suggestions!

Here is your owners manual:

http://www.monacocoach.com/partsands..._Signature.pdf

Look in 9/227 at the rear run boxes. I believe the fuel solenoid is in the low current plate on the left.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #4

Is it one of the Bosch 87 or 87a relays? I have a box in the upper right of the engine compartment. It has 2 switches... One for front rear, the other for start. I did not see any other relay.

Mom, Dad, 2 kids, and anyone else brave enough to go!
Old 07-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

One of the Bosch 87 or 87a relays?

Old 07-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

Do you not have a box on the left side of the engine compartment that looks like the pic on page 9.227?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 07-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Do you not have a box on the left side of the engine compartment that looks like the pic on page 9.227?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
I have a low current box on the left of the engine compartment. It contains 1 silver solenoid which I believe is for the starter. It also has a bunch of little black square Bosch relays, as well as auto reset fuses. Looks just like the pic you referred to. I'm just not clear which component you're referring to. ?Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
I have a low current box on the left of the engine compartment. It contains 1 silver solenoid which I believe is for the starter. It also has a bunch of little black square Bosch relays, as well as auto reset fuses. Looks just like the pic you referred to. I'm just not clear which component you're referring to. ?Thanks again for your help!

I suspect one of those Bosch relays is for the fuel valve. Call Monaco tech support & they should be able to tell you which one. When the engine is running, if you move the front/rear switch to the middle position and the engine shuts down then it's an ignition switch problem.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 07-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I suspect one of those Bosch relays is for the fuel valve. Call Monaco tech support & they should be able to tell you which one. When the engine is running, if you move the front/rear switch to the middle position and the engine shuts down then it's an ignition switch problem.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
The rear switch has no effect. The only way to shut it down is by throwing the 2 battery cut off switches. I'll continue to try out those Bosch relays. I have some extras to move about. Thanks for the leads... Happy 4th!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:43 AM   #10
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
If the solenoid has worked loose, that condition will exist. Found mine hanging by the wiring when the three mounting bolts backed out. A stuck relay will melt the solenoid too....I went through four of them before finding the bad relay.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
If the solenoid has worked loose, that condition will exist. Found mine hanging by the wiring when the three mounting bolts backed out. A stuck relay will melt the solenoid too....I went through four of them before finding the bad relay.
Is your rig a Signature? If so, Where was the solenoid and relay located? Thanks.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #12
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Is your rig a Signature? If so, Where was the solenoid and relay located? Thanks.
The failure I had was on a 1998 Dynasty. Cummins 325HP I think. Solenoid was on curb side of engine just below the fuel rail about mid-way as best I recall. Your Sig may be a whole-nuther beast "under the hood".
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #13

The fuel solenoid shutoff valve problem happened to me. The parts guy told me it cost $400 for the part and $400 for labor. I did it myself in half hour for nothing.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #14

I probably should have mentioned that this problem did not appear until I changed my alternator. I replaced a Leece Neville with a Delco. The new alternator works great. But... Since doing the install the coach will not shut down when ignition switch is turned off. Coincidence? Did I mess something up?

Tags
monaco