Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #1

Monaco slide out water problem

I bought this RV in June and just noticed this damage on bottom of slide. I found it after trying to find why carpet in front corner (wall side)of slide was wet. Any body have ideas where water would be coming from. Slide has been closed for a few weeks but noticed carpet wet when getting seat belts from under pull out couch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150617_184623.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	108694  
MSgtNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #2

The damage to the bottom of the slideout suggests the water comes from the top of the slide. Look up there. Check for rotted floor below the wet carpet.
Best wishes
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
MSgt,

Leaks can indeed be frustrating to find and correct. Monaco slideouts have some characteristic leak areas.

Check the top of the slideout along the outside flange, at both ends. On my coach, the "T Molding" that frames the slideout was buckled up on both ends, under the tar tape, and the slideout seal had worn a small hole in the tar tape at that point. This hole allowed water to enter the slideout and run down the inside of the wall to the floor.

Another area to look at is along the bottom edge of the slideout on both ends. Make sure the sealant along the corner molding is good.

Also check the seal along the top of the window awning if you have one, the awning hook that attaches below the window, and also check the windows to make sure they are not leaking around the flanges.

Good luck!

Roy
Old 10-04-2015, 07:04 AM   #4

Big time Rv show just did a segment on a monaco with the same problem.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My back passenger side slide was leaking and we had water at the front of it ...the carpet was wet after a heavy rain. This was the first time I had noticed the wet carpet, but then we aren't out in the rain that often.

I climbed up the next morning and didn't see anything obvious. The slide did seem to be tilted towards the coach, not away, so I figured I would bring in in during the next rain and see if that might have been the problem. When the next rain came, I had the slide in just to prevent the leak...didn't work! So I knew there had to be a way water was getting in beside through the seals at the top of the slide.

So I climbed back up and noticed someone had used clear caulk around the outside frame....and I noticed the caulk was no longer sealing in places. So I cut out the old and put in new. I'm talking about the 1 1/2" or so metal flat trim that runs around the slide. This piece stays where it is, even when the slide comes out. This is the final trim piece on the slide "box".

Once the caulk dried, we had another rain. I left the slide out to check, after making sure the coach was leaning just a little to insure the roof of the slide was sloping away from the coach. We had a pretty good rain and it made it through with no water inside. Who ever had put on the caulk the first time did a good job...I never noticed it until I went looking and now discovered two of the other three slides also had the same treatment. Didn't take much...but it sure worked. The water was apparently coming in at the joint "sealed" by the flat metal trim. The caulk took care of the small crack and all is well.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I had lot's of damage from a leak on top of the slide. Get up there and see if any cracks are visible. I found that when they made this they taped over the screw head. On mine the tape had a food that wasn't sealed. It could be anything.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #7

I saw the video and that's the same.exact rv I have. My slide floor doesn't seem to be has bad. Just that spot where you can see the wood in the picture. I am hoping once I reseal the areas that have been suggested. I will correct the problem.
MSgtNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If you only have a small area of the slide floor that is damaged, you might be able to stiffen it up with a product called "Get Rot". It can be found at boat supply stores. It is a two part thin liquid that when poured into rotted wood, soaks in and sets up, firming the wood up. I used it in a previous RV and found it worked pretty well.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #9

I had a similar leak, only sometimes when it rained. Turned out to be the clear silicone used to seal between the side wall and the strip along the bottom edge on the outside of the slide (visible and painted). Worked out the old silicone with a plastic putty knife, used painter's tape along both sides to minimize the amount of silicone that got on the paint, and worked new silicone in all along the seam with my finger. Leak is gone.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, slide, slide out, water