RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Normally, I would not post the same question on 2 different sites. However, since all of us on this forum have a Monaco product, someone may have had or have the same problem.

I'm wondering if my stock Sharp 32" LC-32D40U HDTV in the Ambassador is failing. The screen is a 720p- not the 1080p version.

I spent the day out there with the heat on. I keep a de-humidifier running 24/7 so the air was pretty dry.

I was running a movie in the DVD and noticed that the screen seems kind of dark.

I at first thought that maybe the cold of the past couple of weeks had some sort of effect. However with more then 6 hours of heat and the air as dry as it's been, I have pretty much discounted that.

Just seems that the picture is not as crisp and clean as it used to be. I used my "Video Essentials" disk earlier in the year to set black level, color saturation and the like.

Has anyone had any problems with these LCD factory installed units?

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Good seeing you online, Gordon... The only thing I can say is...wish we had a 32 installed from factory - it woould have fit the 32"Vizio better than the 26" cabinet we have.
Hope your problem is not from the TV... but if so ... consider the 32" Vizio!
Good Luck..and if I don't see you befoer Xmas.. have a great Christmas!
MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gordon -

I linked this to the Technology section, you'll probably have additional assistance from knowledgeable folks there too.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 AM   #4

Hey Gordon.... It your stock 32" a Sharp Aquos? Ours came with the Aquos and it seems a lot duller than the Samsung HD we have in our "sticky". Silly question, and I'm sure you've done it but I'll ask anyway, have you adjusted the brightness and/or contrast? Finally, I have found that the ambient light coming through the front window does tend to make the picture dark, it's an eyeball thingy.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Good seeing you on-line, Gordon... The only thing I can say is...wish we had a 32 installed from factory - it would have fit the 32"Vizio better than the 26" cabinet we have.
Hope your problem is not from the TV... but if so ... consider the 32" Vizio!
Good Luck..and if I don't see you before Xmas.. have a great Christmas!
MM
Thant's a really good idea, MM!! The Vizio is a 1080? Any idea what the dimensions for the 32" are?
Old 12-13-2007, 06:22 AM   #6

Ok, I checked and that model IS an Aquos, likely that same one I have in ours. $500 for the TV on-line and $2200 installed from Monaco. Now there's an eye opener!!
Old 12-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have all Sony's inside the coach and a Sharp Aquos on the exterior. (Why that is I do not know, one more remote to have). Anyway the Sharp is much duller for standard definition signals than the Sony's. It does have a brighter, higher contrast for High Definition output, so I know it has the capability of a fine picture.

I'm a bit of a Audio/Video geek and I have tried every setting. I do take into account for the TV being outside which is genrally brighter.

I think the answer is that Sharp doesn't have as strong of an upconverter as Sony. Meaning, Sony TVs do a better job of taking standard definition signals and making themm look better.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Mbl Cndo
This link will give you the specs to the 32' Vizio. The price has increased...but the resolution may have improved also. I believe ours is 1080...

Hope this helps you...by the way...how is you recuperation coming along?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As to color/saturation settings and black level.

I have a disk called "Video Essentials" which is very handy! I have used it several times on my Toshiba rear projection TV and does a great job getting the color settings right.

During the summer, I did all the settings and while this Aquos was "OK", the TV is now suffering from what is called "Blanking". The screen looks like you set the contrast way to the low setting and turns out very dark.

I also get some green boxes that occasionally come out in black areas.

Also, the outside casing has "crinkle" paint look. I found another member who has the exact same issues.

Last night, I sent an e-mail to Monaco in Colberg. We will see what they say. The RV is still under warranty till January 08.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gordon,
I have the 32" Sharp Aquos and had the same problem with my "Tiger Woods 2005 PGA Golf Tour" video game. Sure enough, I had to use the brightness and contrast feature on the TV's menu. I had no problem after that.
We played regular DVD's with it before and did not seem to have any problem with the backlighting. I haven't run any DVD's since I re-did the brightness but I bet the picture will be better than it was.

Well, back to my game,
AKBrick
Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Mbl Cndo
This link will give you the specs to the 32' Vizio. The price has increased...but the resolution may have improved also. I believe ours is 1080...

Hope this helps you...by the way...how is you recuperation coming along?
They call me Mr. Vicodin! Thanks for asking. I'm doing OK, my "plumbing" is still a wee bit sore. I actually left the hospital 2 days early and the "Doc" believes that I can return to my office early as well. Looks like the Vizio is about an inch smaller both ways, so it would fit with some minor adjustments in the framing area.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:12 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Gordon said:
Quote:
Last night, I sent an e-mail to Monaco in Colberg. We will see what they say. The RV is still under warranty till January 08.
I'm sure you have been to Coburg before and know how the warranty thing works, but make sure you sent this to Tammy as a problem and not to tech support. That way it will be on record as a warranty item needing replacement/repair and not just someone wanting info.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:19 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by SacsTC:
Gordon said:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Last night, I sent an e-mail to Monaco in Colberg. We will see what they say. The RV is still under warranty till January 08.
I'm sure you have been to Coburg before and know how the warranty thing works, but make sure you sent this to Tammy as a problem and not to tech support. That way it will be on record as a warranty item needing replacement/repair and not just someone wanting info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually. This is my FIRST and ONLY warranty issue. I would appreciate any advise you can give. I have not a clue!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Gordon...
I will call ot PM you by tonight....there are definitely a few things you need to do!
MM