Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #1

Monaco trade in value

My son-in-law and daughter were trying to trade in the 2003 Monaco LaPalma for a differant class A. They were really dissapointed in the trade in value given to them buy 3 differant dealers. There reasoning is because of Monaco's bankruptcy and not recognizing warranty work, the resale value has dropped significantly on Monaco products. Any thoughts or your recent experiences on a recent trade in would be appreciated. Wireman
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #2

No matter the make, the trade in value of all RVs is very low. Being a 2003 model it will not be affected by the lack of a Monaco warranty.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have to remember you are talking to a salesman.

Mike
Old 09-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #4

What i am saying , per there statements, is that Monaco's have been affected more so because of those reasons, regardless of the year of manufature, compared to the other makes. I realize the RV market is down and not much we can do about it. Wireman
Old 09-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
bankruptcy is not a factor because monaco was relieved of their obligations long before hard times. did ja ever notice when your buying a widget its the hottest widget going trade it in 2 years later and per the salesman no body buying widgets right now.then try and buy said widget and they once again become hot.a private sle will always bring more $$
good luck and great travels
brianj
Old 09-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #6

I understand about the salesman routine. Been down that road way to many times with cars, trucks, RV's, But this same statement was from 3 different dealers. That is why I asked for feedback from anyone who has traded in a Monaco recently and what there experience was. Wireman
Old 09-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
bankruptcy is not a factor because monaco was relieved of their obligations long before hard times. did ja ever notice when your buying a widget its the hottest widget going trade it in 2 years later and per the salesman no body buying widgets right now.then try and buy said widget and they once again become hot.a private sle will always bring more $$
good luck and great travels
brianj
when i bought my 2011 i traded in a 2009 holiday rambler (monaco product) was given generous trade in and it was on the net the next day and s\asking price was more than i paid last year and it sold 2 days later .no matter how i do the math i was treated fairly ,but i did have to stall a bit to get the deal i felt fair'
brianj
Old 09-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fisher View Post
I understand about the salesman routine. Been down that road way to many times with cars, trucks, RV's, But this same statement was from 3 different dealers. That is why I asked for feedback from anyone who has traded in a Monaco recently and what there experience was. Wireman
Doesn't really fly with me (no offense intended). I purchased an '01 Holiday Rambler last year and my bank FINANCED the transaction. I figure those guys really know the true value of an item because they have skin in the game.

If it was true the banks wouldn't loan the money. Probably a typical sales tactic because Monaco products are still pretty awesome.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #9

I could begin to believe this statement when the bankruptcy first happened...then when everything was in flux until Navistar took the assets...but if you are out of warranty and parts/service/tech assistance are well and available....then there is no effect...

Did Jeeps fall in value when they were AMC and then Chrysler took it?
Of course not...

Yep, you were talking to a salesman.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It's likely the only warranty left would be the drive train and that is actually covered by the original manufacturer. Contact them and clarify your warranty status. The house and chassis were 1 year and 3 years I think. The dealers job is to buy low and sell high and say what ever it takes to do that. Be a tough negotiator.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Used RVs are not at a premium. They need to decide to take the hit or just fix up what they have and keep it....the better option if it is in decent shape.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW, we had a 05 Monaco Class C and traded it in on a brand new, never registered, 08 Monaco Class A earlier this year.
Dealer asked what we wanted for it, told them a price, and we got almost what we were asking for it.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #13

donie,

Did you pay what they were asking?

Jim
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
No matter the make, the trade in value of all RVs is very low. Being a 2003 model it will not be affected by the lack of a Monaco warranty.
Indirectly, a 2003 will be affected by a loss of warranty on newer Monaco's that would have been warranteed without the bankruptcy. A 2007 or 2008 whose warranty was lost because of the bankruptcy will be worth less in any market that it would be with a warranty. That includes both private sale and tradeins. And this is true in both good times and recessions. As the newer models decline in value, so will the 2003 because people are not willing to pay as much if they can buy a newer Monaco for nearly the same price (or not significantly more).

Suppose that a 2003 is normally $60,000 cheaper than a 2008 that has a warranty. If the price of the 2008 declines by $50,000 because its warranty is no longer valid from the bankruptcy, do you think that people will buy a 2003 for only $10,000 less? No, the price of the 2003 will also go down. Put a 2003 with no warranty next to a 2008 with no warranty and people will "discount" the 2003 to reflect its age, wear and tear compared to the 2008. Any time a newer model of the same type takes a hit on value, it will affect the value of the older models, until you start getting into "vintage" RV's and the value has bottomed out.