RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Location: Full-Timer (Thousand Palms RV Resort - Inverness Fl)
Okay - I have tried every where, including the recent show in Hershey, to try and find out what the difference in Monaco and Holiday Rambler are, besides the name. We have worked our list down to the Monaco Diplomat 40SKQ - with the Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ being it's twin sister(or brother). I only have about 4 months to figure it out - any comments?

MCPO Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Okay - I have tried every where, including the recent show in Hershey, to try and find out what the difference in Monaco and Holiday Rambler are, besides the name. We have worked our list down to the Monaco Diplomat 40SKQ - with the Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ being it's twin sister(or brother). I only have about 4 months to figure it out - any comments?

Old 09-17-2006, 04:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi MCPO Ret -

Welcome (a bit early, tho) to the Monaco/HR world.

I think the common consensus is that the Monaco and HR lines are parallel, with only minor cosmetic dfferences for the most part. Exterior colors/graphics, interior colors/fabrics, trim-pieces, that sorta things.

But, as far as mechanicals, structurals, etc, they are the same and in fact are produced on the same assembly-lines at the factories. Now, you might get this tv with Monaco or that tv with HR, but they are pretty-much the same overall.

I think you can liken 'em to the differences between a Chevy and a Pontiac, etc (although GM 'tries' to put more separation on their lines, but you get my meaning).

All for which they will charge slightly different prices.

I know we went round-and-round with our selection too. I went item-by-item down the basics and the options list for the 2 brands, and could only come up with minor detailed differences. Finally decided the Monaco trims/fabrics were too 'formal' for our taste, so we went with the HR instead. Was a good choice, we love ours!

I have heard a more than a few people say that once they got the big stuff zeroed-in (ie, which corporation), the dealer reputation starts to make a big difference. You can't beat DeMartini for support. Got mine thru the Indiana branch, kept waiting for the transaction to turn sour but it NEVER happened. Good folks.

So, when do we all get a ride in it?

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have to agree with Ron about DeMartini. I also bought ours from the Indiana store. Tim has really went the extra mile for us, he has set up local service for us here in Houston, sent me a few small parts for stuff I have needed and can do etc. HR/Monaco so far has been easy to work with, I have had a few issues worked on at a independent shop/mobile tech and all covered by warranty without issues. DeMartini service at their shop is super as well if you are willing to make the trip.

I should have mentioned my rear a/c fan motor went out this weekend and the part should be available tomorrow and this is being done by a Mobile Tech with no issues from HR.

06 HR PDQ 40'
crudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Great comments from all - thanks. I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder, so to speak. Really can't put a definite finget on it but we thought the Monaco interior was a little more our liking - I did find out at the Hershey show that I could get the paint combo that is on the Camelot on the Diplomat (don't know what the extra cost would be)- now the DW wants the chairs from the Camelot to go with the Diplomat. Talked to a guy that was having the TV moved from overhead (Camelot again) and put on the floor with a special cabinet made, all at the factory. Hate to even guess what that might cost. As far as dealers go that is really a no brainer for us - we have also been in touch with Tim DeMartini and he handed us off to one of his reps at the Indiana site due to it being closer to us. They don't carry the Monaco line in Indiana yet but assured us they could handle it - although they are really talking up the HR line. Ronboc - rides are forthcoming - all depending where you are
Old 09-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #6

Just curious from a historical perspective. I understsnd that Monaco bought HR a few years ago? Monaco uses their own Roadmaster chassis. Did HR use it too before they were bought out by Monaco? If not, what chassis did HR use before?

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:19 AM   #7

We have a 1994 HR Endeavor LE on the Oshkosh chassis. HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #8

Go for the one you like better. Differences are cosmetic. With the Winnie and the Itasca that is not the case and the Itasca does cost a bit more and has some options not on the Winnie. From what I've seen that is not the case with the MCC and HR sister units.

Don

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MCPO Ret:
Okay - I have tried every where, including the recent show in Hershey, to try and find out what the difference in Monaco and Holiday Rambler are, besides the name. We have worked our list down to the Monaco Diplomat 40SKQ - with the Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ being it's twin sister(or brother). I only have about 4 months to figure it out - any comments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

We were in Wakarusa, IN, a few weeks ago and toured the Monaco factory. They build Monacos, HRs, Beavers & Safaris there on the same line (models from the Monarch up through the Diplomat and its equivalents in the other name plates (HR Endeavor, etc.). Somebody asked the tour guide the differenece between HR & Monaco and she unhesitatingly replied "Everybody asks that - it's the shape of the windshield and the interior/exterior color schemes offered".

We stopped at DeMartini as well and they were most cordial, even though we said we were not buying anything before February of next year. Salesman Ron Cole even insisted that we test drive a new Ambassador (which is an outstanding combination of amenities and price, by the way).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gary,

We are making the factory tour the first week of November and will then be going by Demartini - Ron Cole has been in touch with us also - we informed both him and Tim DeMartini that we weren't buying until March/April next year also. Really looking forward to the trip. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #11

Big Red. Just for your info. HR's were on Freight Liner chasis up through 2000. 2001 they switched to the Monoco Road Master chasis.

2003 R-Vision Trail Lite 22' B+
Reno-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:48 AM   #12

Thanks Reno!

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Bill,

There is no high pressure sales tactics at DeMartini RV. When your ready and know what you want, they work with you and get you the best deal.

radarr
Old 10-10-2006, 07:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I second what Radarr just said about DeMartini (Indiana is where we were) being low-pressure.

Ron Cole was our salesguy, and I almost (but not quite) had to force him to write up the deal. Such a change from the regular boiler-room hi-pressure tactics, where they usually reach into your pocket and take your wallet out for you.

They even let us camp there overnite after the sale to get familiar with the systems and help with any problems. Only had one, the KVH satellite rx was set to find Dish satellites, but we had DirecTv. They called out the installer-company and got it fixed pronto.

We toured the factory first (Time well-invested), and then went to DeMartini (desperate to buy one). I'd like to do the tour again, and really get to see the details from an owner point-of-view.

Enjoy!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote