Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Well we just went through something similar and you can see by my signature which way we went. Definitely preferred the ride and handling of the 10 bag RR chassis over the freightliner on the Newmar

Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
For those who prefer the Roadmaster chassis, remember it is unique to Navistar. It is lacking industry standard parts. Remember the trailing arm fiasco a couple of years ago. When I consider a purchase of this cost, I look carefully at the manufacturer's use of industry standard parts. Another example of unique parts is Navistar recently backed off their pollution experiment. What happens to the value and service tech skills for the engines that had this experiment?

For me, I'll stick with manufacturers that use industry standard components. Especially in the automotive area of the coach.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Gary that's the beauty of choices. We get to make our own choice. Far as I'm concerned Newmar makes a great coach, but I also think the Monacos are great also. They have there benenfits in different areas.

One thing to remeber is that at least in our case we'll live in it a lot more than we drive it.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #18

We had at the top of our list both Monaco and Newmar. As you can see from my signature, we ended up with a Newmar but would not hesitate to get a nice Dynasty if that was what came along when the next upgrade happens (if it ever does). We have certainly been happy with our Dutch Stars but know many folks who are also happy with their Monacos. Both seem to have happy owners and it just depends on what is available and the few priorities you may have over some that I may have. I think there are problems with all motor homes, things to fix and things that break. Mostly, folks like their motor homes though, no matter if they are Newmars or Monacos or Tiffens or ...... really whatever they end up buying.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Dan you said it "all". deSanford PS Traps if you are going to be parked more then driving I would get a 5th wheel.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My preferrence would be Newmar.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Dan you said it "all". deSanford PS Traps if you are going to be parked more then driving I would get a 5th wheel.
We''ll spend enough time driving it too., just meant that livability of floorplan can be very important also.

You can have problems with any of them. I think Newmar makes a good coach, but for our use their floorplans did not work for us.

A class A will definitely suit our lifestyle and needs better than a 5th.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
When will you be picking up your new Monaco Diplomat 43dft? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
When will you be picking up your new Monaco Diplomat 43dft? deSanford
It should arrive mid March, and we''ll pick it up mid April, once our winter is done.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
For those who prefer the Roadmaster chassis, remember it is unique to Navistar. It is lacking industry standard parts. Remember the trailing arm fiasco a couple of years ago. When I consider a purchase of this cost, I look carefully at the manufacturer's use of industry standard parts. Another example of unique parts is Navistar recently backed off their pollution experiment. What happens to the value and service tech skills for the engines that had this experiment?

For me, I'll stick with manufacturers that use industry standard components. Especially in the automotive area of the coach.
I'm at a loss as to what parts on Roadmaster chassis are not industry standard. My coach is an '03 and I've never has a problem with availability of parts. My Roadmaster has been trouble free.

If you think the other chassis manufacturers have not had issues, you haven't listened to folks complaining about replacing ball joints on Spartan chassis. They let that problem go on for years.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
My post was clear. The reference is to the trailing arms on the rear suspension.

Yes Steve Ownby, all have their problems. That was not my point. Please stay on my point that industry standard parts are better than unique to only your coach brand parts. The bad example you use is the ball joints. You are correct. This was a problem. However, the parts were and are readily available. Back to my post, the trailing arms on some Roadmaster chassis were not available. Coach owners were being towed not to an RV repair shop but a machine shop. When the trailing arm breaks, that is a dead stop along the side of the road problem. A machinist has to fabricate something new because no parts were available. A few months ago an aftermarket company developed a kit to solve the problem. There is a big difference in the plight of the owner who has the ball joint problem or the trailing arm problem.

The OP is trying to decide between Newmar and Monaco. My advice is go with Newmar. Not just because I own one, but because of much larger issues.
1. The Navistar CEO says the RV business is not part of Navistar's core businesses.
2. Navistar continues with the Roadmaster chassis which is unique to its' brands.
3. For me, Navistar lacks moral courage. They sold engines with a pollution control system that doesn't work. The engines were allowed to be sold because Navistar paid a penalty to the Feds.
4. Navistar kept all the RV Brand assets and yet did not have the moral courage to help owners that had coaches and no warranty.

If you were trying to decide which company to spend several hundred grand with who would you choose? At a macro level, as long as the RV Brands are with Navistar, there is no future for them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #26

Yes, Gary. I get the message.

You clearly have the best and wisest choice.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Well Gary you are entitled to your thoughts and opinions
But I can't say I agree with everything you say.
Quote:

The OP is trying to decide between Newmar and Monaco. My advice is go with Newmar. Not just because I own one, but because of much larger issues.
1. The Navistar CEO says the RV business is not part of Navistar's core businesses. Does not mean they will neglect the rv division (See note at bottom of page)
2. Navistar continues with the Roadmaster chassis which is unique to its' brands. My opinion of the chassis is that it handles and drives much better than the Freightliner, others may disagree, but a lot do agree, so this becomes personal choice and some of us may think this is worth it.
3. For me, Navistar lacks moral courage. They sold engines with a pollution control system that doesn't work. The engines were allowed to be sold because Navistar paid a penalty to the Feds. The MaxxForce 7,& 10 engines that are used in there Motorhomes are and have been Epa Compliant. I will agree that they we're using credits and paying fines trying to get the MF 11 & 13 up and working, not sure how you can call this immoral, as they we're using credits from having cleaner than necessary engines pre 2010,
4. Navistar kept all the RV Brand assets and yet did not have the moral courage to help owners that had coaches and no warranty.That may have been the only way they could see making the purchase work, kind of funny that no on slams Jayco when they did the same with there Entegra line of coaches they bought.

If you were trying to decide which company to spend several hundred grand with who would you choose? At a macro level, as long as the RV Brands are with Navistar, there is no future for them.
Newmar closed down there towable line of rv's cause they could not keep up with the changes necessary to remain competitive.
I think Newmar is a great company, but they are just as vulnarable to something happening to them as anyone else. Right now there in pretty good shape, but they are not a huge company and in an economy like this any can happen from them selling out to closing down. There are no guarantees they will be around forever. Although I don;t think anything is going to happen to them
I seriously looked at Newmar and have nothing bad to say about them, but I also have looked hard and done a lot of research with the new Monaco, and have found that they are preforming and taking care of there customers as well or better than most. They are bringing out new lines and floorplans all the time, and are showing all of the signs that they are in it to stay. Yes Navistar could sell it, but they also claim it would have to be to the right buyer for the right price.

I did not comment on the trailing arm issue cause that was before I was even interested in getting a Class A, and I personally have not come up with enough info on it to have a valid opinion either way
Old 12-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #28

Quote:
My post was clear. The reference is to the trailing arms on the rear suspension.

Yes Steve Ownby, all have their problems. That was not my point. Please stay on my point that industry standard parts are better than unique to only your coach brand parts. The bad example you use is the ball joints. You are correct. This was a problem. However, the parts were and are readily available. Back to my post, the trailing arms on some Roadmaster chassis were not available. Coach owners were being towed not to an RV repair shop but a machine shop. When the trailing arm breaks, that is a dead stop along the side of the road problem. A machinist has to fabricate something new because no parts were available. A few months ago an aftermarket company developed a kit to solve the problem. There is a big difference in the plight of the owner who has the ball joint problem or the trailing arm problem.

1. The Navistar CEO says the RV business is not part of Navistar's core businesses.
2. Navistar continues with the Roadmaster chassis which is unique to its' brands.
3. For me, Navistar lacks moral courage. They sold engines with a pollution control system that doesn't work. The engines were allowed to be sold because Navistar paid a penalty to the Feds.
4. Navistar kept all the RV Brand assets and yet did not have the moral courage to help owners that had coaches and no warranty.

Gary,

Are you saying that there are zero parts on a Freightliner or Spartan chassis that are only available through their own supply channel? There are plenty of structural parts fabricated by those chassis builders and available nowhere else.

The trailing arms were never unavailable from Roadmaster and the Source arms have been available now for several years not several months. Was the Roadmaster 4 bag chassis a poor design? Of course it was. Was the V8 diesel the arrogant GM engineers built from a gasoline engine a bad idea? Of course it was. Was New Coke a bad idea? Absolutely! I'm sure no Newmar owner has ever had Newmar tell him that a problem belonged to the chassis builder. Can't do that with Monaco.

Navistar purchased assets as part of a bankruptcy sale. There were no other bidders. The banks that forced the bankruptcy could have stopped the sale but allowed the sale to proceed. They did not purchase a going business. At that point no one knew if an RV industry of any kind would recover.

Cummins sold many many engines that were non compliant using EPA credits. Cummins also had a wrist pin defect several years ago that was not handled very well. Navistar made a bad bet not having a plan B for their 2010 emissions. They did, however, spend many millions on the problem. Cat just said no thanks and quit building OTR diesels. Navistar developed a plan B and are selling big engines again. I have a real hard time understanding why people seem to be gleefully waiting for Navistar to fail there are not many American heavy industry businesses left. Anyway, your moral judgements are well above my pay grade.

Oh, by the was, stay on point. The OP asked about 3 coaches specifically. Both the Newmar's were above the Monaco in model line up. You should have just made that point.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, newmar