Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Whatever coach one decides to buy be assured it will be around long after we all are gone. deSanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I'd definitely go with Newmar. so far getting parts and to some extent tech support has been okay even with older models. But, with all the talks going on over at Navistar, I'd be willing to bet their going to dump the RV part of the business in the near future. If that happens, were all going to be out of luck. Not sure there'd be any other company willing to pick Monaco up now.

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken326 View Post
I'm looking for opinions on a Monaco Camelot vs a Newmar Essex or mountain air. I am a Newmar owner but seen a nice Camelot 2008 I like. Can anyone chime in there opinions on quality , customer service etc. thanks
Ken
Ken,

Does not matter who makes it, don't buy either without taking it for a 65 MPH test drive on the Interstate with the big trucks. We have seen motorhomes of the same manufacturer, model, floorplan, etc. that handled differently. Unless you are in to spending a lot of time and money to correct handling and ride issues, make sure you like the way it handles before you purchase it. Don't believe the dealer when they tell you they will fix it before you pick it up. Been there, done that. If you plan to use this motorhome to travel then it is important the 6 or more hours you drive each day while traveling does not wear you out. It is also nice to be able to drink your coffee and have a conversation with the wife while traveling down the road. We spent many hours and a lot of money to get our coach to that point. We traded our first motorhome because it wore us out when traveling. The second one, the one we have now, was better but still did not compare with the 5th wheel and truck that we came from. We are happy now but it was a long road to get here.

Don't purchase a motorhome based on eye candy!

If you just plan to drive within a 100 mile radius of home and stay in one spot, then handling may not be an issue for you.

Good luck,

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #32

I want to thank the posters on both sides of the aisle for their discussion on the Monaco vs. Newmar. As a relative newcomer to the whole MH issue(s), with less than a year under our belt we just weren't aware of some of these issues; like trailing arms and C-ball joints....

Heck the whole issue of companies going under and getting bought out (Beaver, Safari, Holiday Rambler and ) becoming Monaco issued(s) products is something that just doesn't happen every day.

So from what I've been reading it seems that either company "should" be equivalent with regard to what the OP wrote? I mean it's not like he's comparing a Newmar with Coachman right?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Ken,
Unless you are in to spending a lot of time and money to correct handling and ride issues, make sure you like the way it handles before you purchase it. Don't believe the dealer when they tell you they will fix it before you pick it up. Been there, done that.

Bob
It's funny that you wrote that. The Mrs and I have been in the market to upgrade and we recently drove 4 different models back to back. On two I noticed a marked pulling of the unit to the right when the unit was on a straight section of the road. In fact on that same unit we notice some of the woodwork was loose and the handle on the bathroom door literally fell on the floor. Shocked I looked at the salesman who proceeded to tell me, "that happens all the time, once you decide you want the unit we fix all those little problems."

Why not fix those "little problems" BEFORE you show them to customers? Car dealers do that but $150,000+ motorhome dealers don't?

I have to admit that since reading many threads here we've pulled the plug on several units because of issues that I've 'uncovered/discovered' from reading other posters stories/comments. So even though YOU may be aware of trailing arm problems or other issues that everyone else in the MH Universe may know there's always us newer/inexperienced people lurking - and hopefully learning.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....
Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
I think the information supplied to the OP, in this thread, will lead him to the decision that is correct for him. That is the only thing that matters.

The back and forth on points made remains a debate that will never end. That is not what this thread is about.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Don't just fall in love with the floor plan...........LIKE NODINE SAID "DRIVE IT". deSanford
Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
At that point no one knew if an RV industry of any kind would recover.
Kind of OT, but that simply is not true. The industry as a whole was in trouble, and it was clear some mfg'ers would not survive, but there were other mfg'ers that while cutting back and closing some plants, we still quite solid. The only real question was which/how many mfg'ers would survive, and how the crises might redirect the industry. Market forces were allowed to work to thin the herd, and allow the survival of the fittest (unlike the auto industry). When I buy any product of significant cost, I consider who/what company stands behind it, along with many other factors like design, build quality, etc.

When we bought our coach we looked at any brand and model we could get our hands on. For ALL the reasons we considered, Newmar was a notch above Monaco (and Monaco was above Fleet wood and many others!), and that was before the collapse, which only adds to my preference of Newmar over Monaco. I would not automatically reject a Monaco ...a well-maintained used Monaco could easily win over a poorly maintained used Newmar. But if ALL else was EQUAL, Newmar would win for me in a choice of brand names.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
The BEST value for your money is a well maintained USED MH. With the money $$$$ you save you can fix any issues, and decorate the inside to your personal liking. deSanford
Old 12-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone

Loved everyone's opinions. Thanks.

Newmar it is again for me
Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #39
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Does that model have the tag axel? If so then it has 10 airbags, if no tag then it has 8. As for the engine, tranny, and internal components. They are all excellent models. I love the refer we have and it has no history of fires and recalls. The Onan generator is part of the Cummins family and has great support. The Cummins is matched to an Allison tranny. Computer controls the critter and it gets excellent mileage. As for factory support. I managed to get schematics and part numbers for my 2008 and there is enough information on this forum to rebuilt one of these from scratch.

I would recommend buying the one your wife likes. I did and can't be happier.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, newmar