Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #1

We have an Itasca Meridian 36' coach that we have enjoyed, but now that we are going fulltime, are interested in moving to a larger coach. I had focused my search on the Winnebago line (Tour) since I am familiar with them, but a friend strongly suggested the Monaco (likely the Diplomat or HR Endeavor). We have taken a look at these and liked what we saw.

I would love to hear your insights on the Monaco regarding quality, service and in general, do you like it and would you recommend them?

Thanks

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #2

We have an Itasca Meridian 36' coach that we have enjoyed, but now that we are going fulltime, are interested in moving to a larger coach. I had focused my search on the Winnebago line (Tour) since I am familiar with them, but a friend strongly suggested the Monaco (likely the Diplomat or HR Endeavor). We have taken a look at these and liked what we saw.

I would love to hear your insights on the Monaco regarding quality, service and in general, do you like it and would you recommend them?

Thanks

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #3

I am on my second Diplomat. First a 2000 and now 2007. Both were great coaches with very few minor problems. My best friend had a 01 Diplomat and traded for a Winnie Vectra. I have lost count of how many times he has said "I wish I had my Monaco back".
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #4

I have friends who own a 2007 Endeavor and have had a lot of problems. Windshield wipers didn't work, ice maker didn't work because of faulty installation, door wouldn't open, heater blower quit working. Terrible dealer service but Monaco was very helpful.
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #5

We went from a Winnebago to our Monaco - and never looked back again...
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have a model down from what you listed, and I have been fulltiming for over a year in it. I absolutely love it. It has been relatively trouble free. We have had some very minor issues, and the list I took in for our one-year warranty wrap up was surprisingly small.

With the Monaco, I like the fact that they have factory service centers in three parts of the country - Florida, Indiana, and Oregon. Because of this, I plan on never having to take my coach to a dealer to have anything done. It has worked out well so far.

The Tour seems to be a very nice coach. We walked through a few of them while we were trying to find out fulltime machine. Not sure if it was the Tour or not, but one had "saddlebag" storage on one of the slides (meaning that the below storage came out with the slide). I have heard people say that it is convenient, but I much prefer my very wide pass-through configuration. For as much time as I spend in the basement, bending under a slide is no issue. The side-opening doors are great as well.

I believe the new Tours are on the Maxim chassis. I have no experience with them, so can only comment on the Roadmaster. I love the ride quality of my chassis - it is very responsive and comfortable to drive. I have been doing most of the maintenance on the chassis and it seems very accessible and pretty simple to work on. They are serviceable by Cummins service centers (as are the Onan generators), so there are plenty of places to get work done if needed.

The customer service and support I have received has been incredible. I had a Fleetwood product before this, and can not be as enthusiastic about their response. Monaco has a 24/7 tech line that is awesome. They are always easy to get on the phone when you have a question. The company also throws great rallies with food and an open bar

I am sure both units would be a great choice - especially since both will get you out on the road and enjoying the fulltime life!!

Good luck -

kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #7

We looked at both the Winnebago product and the Holiday Rambler. Why?? Closest dealers. I wanted repairs done close to home if I needed since most of the time they want you to leave the coach. We ended up with an Endeavor 06 PAQ. Took a while to shake the bugs out only because we are not full timers. I think the quality is there and so far so good for our first coach. Know people with Winnebago products and they are also happy with their choice. Biggest thing I like is the pass thru basement and the amout of space available. With hauling dag crates and grooming stuff I know the storage Winns I have seen would not cut it for me.
Good luck

Ed
Old 02-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We looked very hard at the Vectra, but decided on the Camelot because we live in "Hotter Than H..." Texas. If you live or spend much time in a hot climate you're best bet is to stay away from basement air.

CC

P.S. In Texas we define Hot as a daytime high over 100 degree and a night time low above 80 degrees. We've traveled in Texas when it was 110 degrees, but with both roof ACs running and the engine AC running we kept very cool.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:27 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have owned both . We chose the HR for the floor plan etc. Tho I have had several issues with this coach, I would buy another. Most issues are with the vendor items ( dometic etc) and these could have very well landed on another coach or brand. They have been good to warranty the problems so I have no real complaints. I expect some issues since we fulltime in the rig, but the first year was the worst of my problems, and luckily we are able to make then service center (Elkhart)for some of our issues. To me that made it easier, we also have had good luck with mobile techs as well with warranty work along the way.

06 HR PDQ 40'
crudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Camelot Camper:
If you live or spend much time in a hot climate you're best bet is to stay away from basement air. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Why is that, precisely? Does Winnebago push the cool air up to ceiling vents, or do they just pump it out the heat vents near the floor?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robin_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Camelot Camper:
If you live or spend much time in a hot climate you're best bet is to stay away from basement air. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Why is that, precisely? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Can't speak for CC, but our basement air didn't cool the RV down as much or as quickly as the 2 on the top does. Also, if it goes out, you have NO a/c. On the plus side, I think their heatpump worked better. Overall, I still prefer the Monaco. I've owned the Monaco for about 10 months now and it's only been in for repairs 3 times; all minor. The Winnebago was in the shop most of it's life (no, really!) with major issues.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #12

Basement air comes out the ceiling vents and the electric heat pump also comes out the ceiling vents. Our basement air keeps us plenty cool in the high temps.

The biggest consideration for fulltiming should be the CCC then go with all the other things important to you such as floorplan etc.

Service for a fulltimer is wherever you are when you need it basically. We are fulltime and use the rv service website to find good service sites if we are not close a tried and true place.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We are on our second Monaco coach. Even though we live within 175 miles of the Winnebago factory, we decided on the Monaco for the following reasons. Besides the floor plan, we thought the quality was a little better and I really liked the Roadmaster chassis with 8 air bags. Above all, Monaco tech support and factory repair centers are outstanding, to say the least!
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I really liked the Roadmaster chassis with 8 air bags. Above all, Monaco tech support and factory repair centers are outstanding, to say the least! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I love our Monaco Dip, but at the risk of sounding like a black sheep here, I have to say that after owning a Monaco and another coach on a Freightliner chassis, I think the 8 airbag concept may be a bit over-rated. My old coach on the Freightliner XC chassis had 4 air bags that were signifacantly larger than the 8 small ones on the Roadmaster RR chassis. And until I recently installed Koni shocks on the Dip, the ride was not nearly as good as it was on the Freightliner chassis.

I do agree with the coment about excellant customer service from Monaco. It's hard to conceive that anyone could do that better.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote