Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #1

Monaco water pump momentary switch on control panel not lighting

I own a 99 Monaco Windsor,ordered a new switch from Monaco but one of the pins is in a different location from the old switch.Tried hooking it up but blew a fuse.The old switch is a rocker and the new one only goes one way. Can anyone help me please? Peter from Maine
peterdube is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Please post photos of both switches... the back side where the wires plug in and maybe the sides if they have a diagram on them.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdube View Post
I own a 99 Monaco Windsor,ordered a new switch from Monaco but one of the pins is in a different location from the old switch.Tried hooking it up but blew a fuse.The old switch is a rocker and the new one only goes one way. Can anyone help me please? Peter from Maine
How many wires do you have to connect to the switch? You state the old switch was a rocker which sounds like a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch. I expect it did not have an indicator lamp inside the rocker. If that is the case it would have three spades on the back and the center spade is usually the common that would possibly connect to a source of 12 VDC. If this switch was used for something like a slide control it would normally stay in the center position and power would not be delivered to the load. You push it one direction or the other to power the load. Those positions would be momentary and when you release the switch it goes back to the center position and no power is delivered to the load. Is that how your original switch was used? If so then Monaco sent you the wrong switch.

It sounds like the switch you were sent is a SPST switch which is either on or off depending on the position of the switch. Unlike your original switch this switch only has two positions, thus the ST (single throw). These switches when used in the motorhome application are often SPST with an indicator lamp inside the rocker that illuminates when the load is powered. These switches will have three spades on the back but only two are used for the load. The third is connected to ground and completes the circuit for a lamp inside the rocker. The other side of the lamp is connected to the N.O. contact (normally open) internally inside the switch. The external spade of the N.O. contact is connected to the load and the third contact is connected to 12 VDC. When the switch is closed (turned on) the load and the lamp receive 12 VDC thus illuminating the switch when the load is receiving power.

First we need to determine if you have the correct switch. Please get back with us and tell us what the original switch operated in the motorhome.

Thanks,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Opps, I just saw your title and you state that the original switch is momentary and used for the water pump. That switch should be like the second switch I described with the exception that it will be momentary and does not stay on. I am now confused because you state the original switch was a rocker with a center position and two on positions, or did I not understand.

There are usually two or more water pump on switches in the motorhome and they work by signaling a module that actually applies the power to the pump. The switches are all momentary and apply a temporary pulse of power to the module that then latches on. The power line to the pump is fed back to all the switches so the internal indicator lamp is illuminated when the module is latched on. If the switch is pressed a second time from any location the module will unlatch and both the pump and the lamp with be off. I will have to check the wiring diagram but I expect the switch does not send 12 VDC to the module but instead sends a ground. It sounds like you have placed the wires back on the switch in the wrong location. Locate one of the other pump switches and write down how it is wired. DO NOT REMOVE the wires, just pull the switch out check how it is wired. Go wire the new switch the same way and see if that fixes your problem. Pay attention to the color of the spades on the back of the switch. One will be brass and the other two will be silver. It is important that you connect the wires back to the original spades.

Here is a link to a water pump controller:
http://www.ltdrvparts.com/INTELLITEC...0000145100.htm

Bob
Old 11-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar problem with my momentary pump switch in the bathroom. Green light went out. Instead of replacing switch I went to Radio Shack and purchased a green led. Then mounted that inside. Led will probably outlast the rig (actually, I'm quite sure it will). Not sure about cost, I think it was around $2.00.

Unless it's a switch problem and not a light bulb problem.

Pat
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Many of these switches are made by Carling, although I don't see an image of the one used in my MH. Try the Carling catalog or pull the switch, it may have manufacturer/part numbers you can reference.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

Bob, thanks for the info. Both my old and new switch have 5 blades on them.My new one ,one of the blades is in a different location. When I installed the new one I took a guess and blew the fuse.Figured I would stop while I was ahead! All this just because it doesn't light up. P.S. my other 2 switches aren't the same in the basement and bath. Thanks,Peter Dube
Old 11-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #8

Bob,My switch is made by oslo. It has 2 copper blades 2 brass and 1 silver. Hope this helps. thanks,Peter
Old 11-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdube View Post
Bob,My switch is made by oslo. It has 2 copper blades 2 brass and 1 silver. Hope this helps. thanks,Peter
Peter,

Are you still having trouble? Your switch confuses me as all the water pump systems I am familiar with use a single pole switch. Start a new post with the model and year of your coach and ask if anyone has the same coach. Maybe you will be able to locate someone who can tell you the wire connection pattern for the switch that way. Be sure to describe the exact location of the switch since you say all your water pump switches are not the same. That one blows my mind as I have always seen the same type switch used at all the locations in conjunction with a control module.

Bob
Old 11-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your rig has the intellitec controller for the multiple switch locations for the water pump they work slightly different. When you momentarily press the rocker switch (and it rocks back to it original position on its own), it actually "grounds" the signal wire and the controller then changes the state of the pump (on or off). One of the benefits of this type of system is that it is not constantly "powered" by a hot 12v circuit. The benefit is neturalized by the adjacient illumination lamp which is powered by some local 12v source. Most auto and RV stores as well as Radio Shacks sell the lamp in several colors, I used blue and used green in our prior TT as I wanted Red to indicate a problem not just a device that is on. Crossing the lamp's hot lead with the ground of the momentary switch will cause one of the conroller's fuses (1-15 amp and 1-5amp) to blow.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #11

[B]Newbie here, first time Class 'A' owner.........getting my feet wet! This thread caught my immediate attention! My problem is I have three momentary water pump switches and THE INDICATOR LIGHTS will not illuminate in any of them.....main panel, bathroom and service bay. I therefore do not know if the pump is on or off unless I hear the pump which is concerning particularly if you ever run low on water and run the pump dry. I would describe these switches as SPST. The main panel switch I would best describe as a three position rocker switch with internal indicator light.....ON.....CENTER.....OFF, which is spring loaded and returns to the center position. The other two switches are spring loaded with external lamp indicators. From what I understand the power is not feeding back from the pump/pump controller to illuminate the lamps at the three positions, yet the pump is doing it's job. I don't believe this to be a serious problem but an annoying one for a novice like me......would appreciate any input whatsoever. Really enjoying the Big, New Toy, to us anyway!......Bob
Old 02-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCanuk View Post
[B]Newbie here, first time Class 'A' owner.........getting my feet wet! This thread caught my immediate attention! My problem is I have three momentary water pump switches and THE INDICATOR LIGHTS will not illuminate in any of them.....main panel, bathroom and service bay. I therefore do not know if the pump is on or off unless I hear the pump which is concerning particularly if you ever run low on water and run the pump dry. I would describe these switches as SPST. The main panel switch I would best describe as a three position rocker switch with internal indicator light.....ON.....CENTER.....OFF, which is spring loaded and returns to the center position. The other two switches are spring loaded with external lamp indicators. From what I understand the power is not feeding back from the pump/pump controller to illuminate the lamps at the three positions, yet the pump is doing it's job. I don't believe this to be a serious problem but an annoying one for a novice like me......would appreciate any input whatsoever. Really enjoying the Big, New Toy, to us anyway!......Bob
Pull one of your W P switches out and go to radio shack and buy the little light like the one in the switch and install.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #13

Thanks Walt, I shall try that, but which switch? As mentioned, the switch on the Main Panel is a totally different type than the other two remote switches. What I can't understand, at my age, is why are all three lights not illuminated?

BOB
Old 02-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

Your little incandescent lamps are shot, ALL three of them.

All of my WP switches are either single or double momentary switches. The one in the first photo is a single momentary switch whereas the ones in the other three photos are double momentary. You can see how it sits in the rest position that it's different.

Each one has an indicator RED lamp next to the switch. Those are a high failure item since they are on quite a lot so the lifespan of the lamp is short.

I got tired or replacing the incandescent lamps so I purchased a bunch of custom made RED LED indicator lamps from Alliance RV in Wildwood Florida. I was in Alaska at the time and after taking to them on the phone I gave them my CC information and they sent the package to the RV park I was staying at in Alaska at the time.

These are identical replacements that snap right into the same slot where the incandescent one snaps out of.

I have now replaced almost all of those indicator lamps with the LED ones and I have yet to have one fail. I still have a couple to do in that large main panel as you can see from the first photo.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	55161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0949.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	55162  

Click image for larger version