Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #15

After the drive this weekend I was very happy with the choice I had made to spend the money on Mikes Watts Linkage and crossbars.

Biglar - If you were able to look at the set up (I was lucky enough to) once it is installed, what Nodine is saying will totally make since as to how it works. I couldn't totally understand how it worked either until I seen it and it all come together for me.

Driving is totally different now. You are in control of the motorhome instead of the motohome controlling you. I could actually drive it with one hand and was not struggling to keep it in the lanes. Going around long corners would work you to death before and now it stays where it supposed to through the corner. No see sawing of the steering wheel constantly. Before when you had to make a quick lane change, the rear end would walk and cause over steering but now it settles right in.

One thing that Nodine had said about about it having a lower center of gravity is very true, but I don't completely understand that works.

I did forget to say in my original post, I had new bilstein shocks installed during this process.

I would like to say thank you to Mike, Nodine and everyone involved in developing this system. The difference in the handling is just incredible.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #16

Just installed the monaco watts rear cross bars on my coach. Great quality product. Front watts-link this winter.... looking forward to a solid driving coach.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:21 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniedmo View Post
After the drive this weekend I was very happy with the choice I had made to spend the money on Mikes Watts Linkage and crossbars.

Biglar - If you were able to look at the set up (I was lucky enough to) once it is installed, what Nodine is saying will totally make since as to how it works. I couldn't totally understand how it worked either until I seen it and it all come together for me.

Driving is totally different now. You are in control of the motorhome instead of the motohome controlling you. I could actually drive it with one hand and was not struggling to keep it in the lanes. Going around long corners would work you to death before and now it stays where it supposed to through the corner. No see sawing of the steering wheel constantly. Before when you had to make a quick lane change, the rear end would walk and cause over steering but now it settles right in.

One thing that Nodine had said about about it having a lower center of gravity is very true, but I don't completely understand that works.

I did forget to say in my original post, I had new bilstein shocks installed during this process.

I would like to say thank you to Mike, Nodine and everyone involved in developing this system. The difference in the handling is just incredible.
Man that's great news!! I am that type of guy that has to see things and maybe after installing one I will have a little better understanding.

After reading your post I am convinced we have the same problems. Very encouraging that it fixed yours. No way I can drive ours with one hand or even look away from the road for more than few seconds. Over the last 3 years though I have gotten used to it but I remember that first long, 12 hour drive....ugh....lol.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I as you can see below I have a 2000 Dynasty, I have replaced all of the air bags 8, and all new Bilstein shocks. 60,000 miles on the coach. It drives great. I also have the Safety Trac (spelling) Is there something different about my older coach?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Chuck, go to http://www.monacowatts.com , scroll to bottom of page and watch my video driving my coach with the Watts links and X-braces. I am driving one handed, using my iPhone to record. Please pardon my voiceover of the video. I’m a better technician than a video maker.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:01 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Installed front, rear and crossbars at Mike’s several months back. Before installing the Tail end moved around quite a bit. Get to a twisty road or crosswind and it was a handful. I’ve driven over 600 miles in a day now and wasn’t worn out.
I probably would have sold the coach by now with out the Watts upgrades.
Not a far drive from Visalia!!
CaptV1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Happycarz,

Looking at this system also.
On the order sheet it mentions a promo code.
Anyone know what is it is
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:47 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all those who have described their experiences with this innovative product. It would be interesting to hear from those with Watts links on S-10 based coaches. I've heard that there are a few out there and would like to know more.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I’m on my second S-10... 85K on the 04 Dynasty and 20K on 08 Navigator... great handling rigs although I had to adjust the TRW on the 08 the first day. I still do multiple 750+ mile days as they are that easy to drive one handed. Our daughter just did CO in 2 days...1500 miles (first long trip by herself) in the 04 Dynasty. I’ve done 1100 miles by myself in both rigs in one day.

You can only lower the center of gravity by putting heavy items lower in the rig... not very practical. I would love to help install a Watts Link but leave one tierod unhooked and then hear about the vast improvement in handling.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I’m on my second S-10... 85K on the 04 Dynasty and 20K on 08 Navigator... great handling rigs although I had to adjust the TRW on the 08 the first day. I still do multiple 750+ mile days as they are that easy to drive one handed. Our daughter just did CO in 2 days...1500 miles (first long trip by herself) in the 04 Dynasty. I’ve done 1100 miles by myself in both rigs in one day.

You can only lower the center of gravity by putting heavy items lower in the rig... not very practical. I would love to help install a Watts Link but leave one tierod unhooked and then hear about the vast improvement in handling.
It appears that you do not have any experience with a Watts link on the S-10 Chassis so I don't understand why you are commenting.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
Thanks to all those who have described their experiences with this innovative product. It would be interesting to hear from those with Watts links on S-10 based coaches. I've heard that there are a few out there and would like to know more.
Go to post 1003 in this thread.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mod...ml#post4252288

Go to post 1737 in this thread.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/wan...ml#post2843848

Talk to Mike Hughes about how many he has installed on a S-10 Chassis and he can connect you to individuals to relate their experience.

But do first adjust the TRW box if you have any dead motion in the steering.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post

We all see that you have the best handling coach made and you like to drive a lot of miles but I bet if you take one tie rod off your coach without the Watts Link you would probably have the same effect.

Thank you for your great contribution!
Old 08-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
It appears that you do not have any experience with a Watts link on the S-10 Chassis so I don't understand why you are commenting.
Bob
How many miles have you put on a S-10 DP? I’m at over 100K and would describe it as rock solid without doing anything to it other than adjusting the slack out of the TRW box. My point in commenting is I find it hard to believe the S-10 needs a Watts Link or X bracing. You cannot put in long days in a rig that doesn’t handle well.

I realize a tag improves the handling...mainly on the rear but I doubt it’s what turns a POS RR8R into a good handling rig. The videos I’ve watch of the before and after Watt’s does miraculously decrease the amount of oversteering. Tightening the nut behind the steering wheel might have the same affect. I would like to drive a RR8 with and without the “improvements” and a S-10 with.

When you put in long days you’ll encounter less than ideal conditions. The 08 Navigator had a Safe-T-Plus installed and I found it made driving in less than perfect conditions (no crosswinds) tiring as you had to hold against the 230 lbs of centering force when crabbing into the crosswind. After 4000 miles I disconnected it until I could make it adjustable on the fly. Now I can change where center is allowing me to actually turn loose of the steering wheel for over 1/4th mile on a good road.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniedmo View Post
We all see that you have the best handling coach made and you like to drive a lot of miles but I bet if you take one tie rod off your coach without the Watts Link you would probably have the same effect.
Thank you for your great contribution!
Thanks for the compliment. There is one thing we agree on... “ One thing that Nodine had said about about it having a lower center of gravity is very true, but I don't completely understand that works. I do not either as you have to lower the mass (the location of the weight) to lower the center of gravity. Makes me wonder about the other claims.

Tags
holiday rambler, monaco