RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #1

I seen a Diplomat the other day with window shades that carried a Monaco name tag. I don't see them listed on their product page. Anyone have a set of these on their RV? Cost as compared to a set of Prompts?

Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #2

I know the MCD brand has a little Monaco name tag on it.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Such coincidence! We are just about ready to place an order for Prompt Sun Shades and DH saw an ad in Lifestyles magazine for the Monaco shades. So we are curious about the cost/quality of them, if anyone knows. After a quick look last night, I couldn't find them on the website.

Anyone have the experience of making the sunshades yourself? The Prompt Shades are on the outside, but do not involve snaps or twist locks.

(DH reminded me that I know how to sew.)
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
They're made by MCD and we have them on our coach. There not as easy as Prompt shades, but I like the look of them. My set came with the windshield cover, two side windows, door window and wiper blade covers. They use snaps at the top and a triangular piece of removeable velcro at the bottom that allows you to tighten them up once they're in place. They also come with little suction cups to allow you to do your own install.

You'll need a ladder to put them on, but I take them off with the assistance of my awning arm.

They also sell some REALLY nice mirror covers.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Dip Don...
Did you look at the interior shades by MCD? I am partial to the interior shades (ease of use...stays dry...etc) so I was curious what MCD had for interior shades...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm also very interested in the MCD interior shades and have been reviewing their website. What is the material they use? How do the shades operate or attach?

http://www.motorcoachdesigns.com/MCD...n_Screens.html

Thanks!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Mic...As he was heading off to bed...Sacs let me know that MCD will be at the Monaco rally this next week - so I will thoroughly inspect all their products while we are there and post back - if no one answers back!
I am all about it being easy & simple YET clean too...so I am hoping they have what I want at a reasonable price...if not ...then I will go to Home Depot or Lowes and get sunscreen to make some interior ones myself... (oooh ...but Sacs will have to bring my sewing machine up the next time )

Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
MCD interior sun screens are great. They go up in less than a minute and stay clean and dry...Bruce
Old 09-14-2007, 06:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
How do the MCD interior screens attach? The web site only describes the material, not the attachment process.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #10

My only objection or perhaps concern is that screens on the outside are lessening the heat before it enters the coach and with the screens on the inside, you are already letting the heat come in, kinda defeating one of the purposes of the screens.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That was my dilemma too, whether to go with inside or outside screens. Both have advantages/disadvantages. Exterior ones should cut more sunlite before it gets in the coach, but is more of a hassle to install/remove. I finally opted to go with exterior ones mainly because I got a good deal at a Rally.

Looking back, I'm not so sure it was the right decision, tho. Mine create a 'halo' effect because they have somewhat of a shiny surface to them, and it does make for some glare on the inside. Also I was surprised at how hot they do get, and since they're laying on the windshield will transmit some of that heat inside too. And ever crawl up/down a ladder to take off and store several big WET blankets first thing in the morning?

Additionally, I was concerned that some of that heat-transfer would actually be going into the windshield itself and possibly be setting myself up for heat-expansion and cracking/whatever. I've rationalized it, however, that the windshield is gonna get hot anyways so maybe it's not a big deal (or am I whistling thru the cemetery??).

Before buying, I did some research as to materials, and I think they're a lot more complicated than just the garden-style plant covers. They're sure a lot heavier than the plant ones.

'Mama - be very interested to hear what y'all find at the Rally.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
There is a thin vinal channel that glues to the very top of the windshield, the sun screen slides right in just like an awning sun screen, the material is the same as the awning sun screen also. It keeps the dash very cool. I doubt there is much difference if any, in cooling from the outside mounted shades...Bruce
Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
'Mama - be very interested to hear what y'all find at the Rally.
I promise to do as good a reporting job (no- a better job) as Route66 has been over on the Newmar board!!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #14

Had the exterior MCD shades on my 05 Dip and have the interior shades on this rig. Once you have to take off exterior shades in the wind, rain, or whatever, you will be wishing you had gotten the interior ones. You don't have to worry about way to store a wet/dirty shade. Would never get exterior shades again. Just my opinion.

Carl