Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #1

Monaco Windsor

Need some help with a maybe problem. Out checking my MH and found that the rear end is low on fluid... Maybe?? My MH is a pusher and the rear in is actually up side down in there. Most rear ends need the oil level just about level with the bottom of the axle tubes. If I fill my rear end, like my owers manual says I’m going to need a lot more oil and it’s going to be about 1 1/2 inches above the bottom of the inside of the axle tube. This is going to flood my wheel bearings. If this was a new home, I would not worry, about it buts it’s an older home and I don’t want to overtax my wheel seals..... any thoughts on this?
boneyard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The axles and seals on your motor home rear end (and most heavy duty vehicles) are not like those in a car. The actual drive axle does not support the vehicle weight. These are full floating rear end assemblies so the wheels bolt onto a hub that spins on bearings. The drive axles insert through the hub and use only a thin paper seal and are retained with studs.

Proper Drive Axle Lubricant Level:
Regular inspection of the drive axle lube levels is an essential maintenance
procedure.
• With the motorhome parked on a level surface and rear axle warm,
place a large container under axle.
• Clean the area around the fill plug, which is located approximately
halfway up the axle housing bowl.
• Remove the fill plug and observe the lubricant level.
• The lubricant should be level with bottom of the hole.
• Important: The lube level close enough to the hole to be seen or
touched is not sufficient. The lube must be level with the hole.
• Correct the level as necessary.
• Re-install the fill plug and tighten to 35 to 50 ft. lbs.
NOTE: When checking the lube level also check the housing
breathers. Clean the breathers if dirty or replace them if damaged.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vito.a is correct.

Here's a copy right out of my owners manual. The diagrams didn't copy for some reason, but the text is correct.

Drive Axle Lubricant.pdf
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard51 View Post
My MH is a pusher and the rear in is actually up side down in there.
I thought I responded to this - but nothing posted...

I want to ask where you heard/read that your "rear is upside down".

Look at the photo below representing the Dana 21060 and 22060 series (which should be similar to yours if not the same). Is the input shaft (pinion) located in the same plane (just below axle centerline) as shown?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dana 22060SH.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	210836  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mike is correct. These rear end assemblies are not upside down, just turned around from a conventional truck. The ring and pinion gear are set up for pusher rotation.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post

Look at the photo below representing the Dana 21060 and 22060 series (which should be similar to yours if not the same). Is the input shaft (pinion) located in the same plane (just below axle centerline) as shown?
Mine does not look like your photo. I worked in the big truck field for years and most if not all rear ends that I have seen the pinion comes into the gear box below the center line of the axle. Some four wheel drive pick ups don’t. My pinion comes into the gear box definitely above the center line of the axles. It has The appearance of an upside down axle. Will try to get some photos, but not much light under there.

Bones
Old 07-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:

If I filled the rear end to the level of the bottom of the plug, I will have over an inch of oil in the axle tubes and be flooding the wheel bearing , possibly overtaxing the seals on my older home. I have never seen any rear end that held that level of oil. They usually want the oil right at the bottom of the axle housing, so that some oil makes it to the wheel bearings when going around a corner and when on unlevel ground or just riding the axles out to the bearings.

I have never taken an axle out of a truck rear end and had the oil flow out... drip a little maybe.

I’ve had this home for about three years, the rear ended is dry, no sign of any leaks.... so while doing some othe maintenance I decided to check the rear end oil. I have put 15000 miles on this home since I had it. I could not reach the oil..

If it was really that low I don’t think I would have made it that long.

Maybe some of you guys could check your rigs and tell me where your oil level is in relation to your axle housings.

Thanks, Bones
Old 07-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #8

Bottom of inspection hole. When I remove plug it just starts a slow kreep past threads.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Some of these differential housings have two plugs. The "upper" plug is what you fill to.
The lower plug is for the oil sensor - which is not installed (at least not on my coach).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	211138  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #10

Rear end oil pictures

Quote:
Some of these differential housings have two plugs. The "upper" plug is what you fill to.
The lower plug is for the oil sensor - which is not installed (at least not on my coach).

Here are a few pics of my rear end ( my motor homes rear end, lol ) disregard the oil stains below the filler plug, they where not there till I topped it off.

Notice the the rear end appears to be up side down, the pinon comes in way above the center line of the axle. If I fill to the bottom of the fill plug I will have 1 to 2 inches of oil in my axle tubes..... have never seen that ever in any truck.

Looks like they just turned a rear end over and is running it on the back side of the gears. Or they are reverse cut in a forward cur housing turn up side down.

Look at the pics and hopefully some may post pics of their rig.

To fill to the bottom of my he fill plug on my housing will take several galllons of oil, more thanthe total of any rear end I have worked on.

Help,

Bones
Old 07-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #11

Pics

Pics well can’t seem to get my pics loaded
Old 07-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #12

Pics
Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #13

Pics of rear end

Have three pics of rear end
Old 07-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #14

Good afternoon Bones; When I purchased our 2001 Windsor in 2015, I started checking fluid levels. When I got to the rear end, I could tell that it had been, who knows how long, that the plug had ever been removed. The previous owner had just had it in for a full service. I guess full service means not checking the fluid level in the rear end. Just for kicks called Monaco Tech. and they told me the lower plug was the fill plug, Wrong! I removed the plug and could not get any fluid on my finger. As others here have pointed out the instructions state that fluid level is supposed to be even with the bottom of the fill plug. I added 2 quarts to bring the level to the bottom of the plug. Knock on wood, so far no leaks. Have put about 4K plus miles on since top off. Hope this info helps in what level to have the oil!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco