Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #1

Monaco Windsor fiberglass roof question

I own a 2003 Monaco Windsor with a fiberglass roof. The other day I was up on the roof installing a new soil pipe vent cap and notice that the fiberglass appears to float and not be bonded to the luan substrate of the roof assembly. What can be done is this normal and has anyone had an issue or concern about this? It would appear that walking on fiberglass that flexes could create a problem especially in cold weather where the roof panel would be under more stress and the potential for cracking would occur. The roof does not leak and before I investigate further with my dealer and warranty I wanted to educate myself about this. I would appreciate anyone's comments, have a great day.

Bentley

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Our 04 Imperial is much the same coach as yours and the roof sounds like it's much the same too. I havn't had any trouble so far and I think most if not all of them are like that.
Ron

Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

Thanks. Maybe that is the way they are. I appreciate the reply.
Bentley
Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I own a 2003 Monaco Windsor with a fiberglass roof. The other day I was up on the roof installing a new soil pipe vent cap and notice that the fiberglass appears to float and not be bonded to the luan substrate of the roof assembly. What can be done is this normal and has anyone had an issue or concern about this? It would appear that walking on fiberglass that flexes could create a problem especially in cold weather where the roof panel would be under more stress and the potential for cracking would occur. The roof does not leak and before I investigate further with my dealer and warranty I wanted to educate myself about this. I would appreciate anyone's comments, have a great day.

Bentley
Bentley, what is a soil pipe vent? I'm not trying to be a smart butt, but I never heard of it.
Bill O.
06 Endeavor
fiberglass roof
Old 08-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #5

Soil pipe vent

Its a common term used in the roofing industry to describe a vent pipe that comes through the roof to vent the waste water lines.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Its a common term used in the roofing industry to describe a vent pipe that comes through the roof to vent the waste water lines.
Thanks for the info, I've been rv'ing with motor homes for 40 yrs. and never heard it called that. I've always heard it called the vent pipe.
Thanks,
Bill O.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Bentley
Me too, me too! I just noticed this the other day on our 1999 Windsor and it had me a little worried. In my case, the roof appears to "float" over the area of the living room/kitchen slide. It seems much firmer everywhere else, though not as firm as the floor, for example. I don't have any leaks, either, and it's good to hear it's not just my coach!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #8

Floating fiberglass roof on Monaco Windsor

You out there that responded to the question, "What to do with a floating fiberglass roof" what are you going to do?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
You out there that responded to the question, "What to do with a floating fiberglass roof" what are you going to do?
Well, I'm gonna go to bed now, I'm sleepy.

Oh, you mean about the roof? Nuthin', nuthin' at all. It appears there are others with the same situation, no leaks, no harm, so I'm doin' nuthin'.

Night, night....
Old 12-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #10

I have a 2002 windsor roof leaking around the rear ac any ideas, had a rear bad storm with high winds and the front left corner of the cover has a crack in it could the rain have blown in there.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I would suggest pulling the ac unit and properly sealing.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have also contemplated my roof, seeming to 'float' on top of the substrate, rather than being part of it. Finally, I was changing my old fridge out for a new residential fridge. I removed the roof vent to seal the hole. It was then that I managed to have a first hand look at the design of the roof.

On my coach, a sheet of 3/8" or 5/16" plywood is fastened down to the roof rafters. A sheet of plastic vapor barrier is laid down on top of that plywood. The fiberglass roof sheeting, less than 1/16" thick, is laid down on top of that plastic vapor barrier. The fiberglass roof is not glued down to the plywood. It is separated from the plywood by that layer of plastic sheeting.

So, in actual fact, the fiberglass roof sheet is actually 'floating' on top of the motor home. The only thing holding it down are the air conditioners and any vents and other protruding things that sit on top of the roof.

Regarding the crack in the roof sheet - yes it will be leaking. Any cracks must be fixed. Probably the best approach is to use some Eternabond tape.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by panga22 View Post
I have a 2002 windsor roof leaking around the rear ac any ideas, had a rear bad storm with high winds and the front left corner of the cover has a crack in it could the rain have blown in there.

When we bought our Windsor a few months ago it was evident from the stains on the walls, counters, etc. that there were leaks. I inspected the roof from end to end and could not spot any area that looked like it could leak. I bought a 50' roll of Eternabond roof sealing tape (4" wide) and two tubes of the Dicor 502-LSW self-leveling sealant and resealed EVERY opening on the roof. I used the tape on large openings like air conditioners, skylights, vents, etc., and the 502-LSW on things like the TV antenna, vent pipes, etc. My roof leaks are GONE!
Good luck and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Leak Control

Have you ever tried 'THRU the ROOF'?

Very good product for a clear sealant. True Value & Ace Hardware sell it.

OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, roof