Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #1

Angry Monaco wiper problems

I read several owners complaining about problems with wiper "float" on their Monaco windshields. I have a similar problem, and after looking for a solution, I was informed by my local RV service tech that the problem is caused by a flat spot in the windshield. It appears that some Monaco and HR coaches were fitted with a defective windshied. This occured on the Panaview windshield made by Viricon in Oregon. Bad new is that Viricon is out of business, and I was informed by Monaco that my only solution was to buy a new windshield! Since this is a safety issue, I would think someone should be stepping up to fix this.

RVsteve
2008 Holiday Rambler 40'
RVsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Steve,
Someone did step up - the bankruptcy court did when they approved Monaco walking away from warranty claims. I'm not even sure NHTSA can do anything not sure they can issue a recall on a bankrupt company. Not sure Navistar will do anything either even though it could be a wise thing to do from a marketing perspective. The windshield on our '06 HR Endeavor has the Viricon panaview windshield but it does not have a flat spot on the windshield. Must have been a different mold for the '06 and '07 Dip and End.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Our 04 Imperial had a flat spot on the windshield too. It was mfgred in Turkey or Italy !! The current shield is the 3rd one and has no flat spot, it's a Coachglass shield and is nice and curved, no flats!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
Our 04 Imperial had a flat spot on the windshield too. It was mfgred in Turkey or Italy !! The current shield is the 3rd one and has no flat spot, it's a Coachglass shield and is nice and curved, no flats!
I have always heard that CoachGlass is one of the preferred glass manufacturers for coaches. Curious if they can provide Panaview windshields instead of paying the high $$ for a Monaco supplied glass?

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #5

The wipre issue is a little more complex than a simple defective widshield. Different years use different window mfrs. Different models have different windshields. It was my understanding that the 08's ( and maybe 07's) use Coach Glass. Our 08 Dynasty has this windshield. On some units the problem is just that the wipers are far too large. The Dynasty uses 36 inch blades. Ridiculous ! I am going to install 32 inch and I suspect the floating problem will disappear. Dynasty's use a Chinese wiper system. I think some of the other models have a better system. If your unit has 32 inch blades try 28's. There are some aftermarket solutions as well. You could try getting blades that are aerodynamic. These have slots in the metal part of the blade allowing air to pass and not lift the blade. You can also try the little airfoils that are sold in auto parts stores. Lastly there are springs that will fit over the arms and apply more pressure. Unfortunatley none of those will work on the Dyansty as they use a huge blade ( one inch wide mounting bracket). These problems are not unique to Monaco. Tiffin and I think Newmar also had some problems. Bad engineering. Dont expect Navistar to pay for any parts. Wont happen. There will never be a recall issued as you cannot draw blood out of a stone. The mfr. ( Monaco) no longer exists!!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #6

Thanks for the additional info. I will try your suggestions, and had planned to try the "snuggies". They're only 5 bucks. I suspect that HR was installing cheap equipment just prior to their bankruptcy. I also had a kitchen faucet, radiator hose and a battery solenoid fail within 3 months of purchase. Live and learn!

Being from California, I don't need to use the wipers often, so may live with the problem until I need to replace the windshield. However, it is a hazzard when it does rain.

Steve
RVsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My defense against the big spot right in front of my face that never got wiped is to Rain-X the shield. That way I only really need the lamest wipers on the planet when it really comes down.
In my case I know the original shield was made wrong, the replacements don't have unwiped spots!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
My defense against the big spot right in front of my face that never got wiped is to Rain-X the shield. That way I only really need the lamest wipers on the planet when it really comes down.
In my case I know the original shield was made wrong, the replacements don't have unwiped spots!
Good idea. Our road side wiper does not sweep far enough and I use something similar to Rain-X to keep it clear. I use Aquapel, which is similar to Rain-X, over the entire windshield. Now I only have to use the wipers only in heavy rain.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 07-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
HPH

Monaco Owners Club
The Camelot windshields are for sure made in Turkey as I saw the shipping container they were taking them out of while at the factory last year. I also use rain x . Try beam style blades they have a spring wound the length of the blade and keep better pressure on the glass, they have been std. on european lux cars for a few years and now some US mfgs use them. Rain x sells them by the name "Latitude"

2004 Z71 Tahoe
HPH is offline   Reply With Quote