RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #1

We are planning on trading our Hurricane 31H in on a Monaco Monarch SVE 33PBD or a Itasca Sunova 34A.

Seems like a great upgrade from my Hurricane.

Should I go V10 or Workhorse W22? The salesman said the W22 gets 1-2 mpg more then the V10. I'm also a Chevy fan so I wonder if it's worth the extra money.

Can I run both AC's off the Onan 4000 Gen?

We love the storage, the floorplan and the wheels. We are going to test drive the Monaco tomorrow morning.

One more question, can you expect a dealer to take 20% off MSRP if they are paying $78,000 for a 2007 Hurricane 31H?

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax-Allison
bccsrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #2

We are planning on trading our Hurricane 31H in on a Monaco Monarch SVE 33PBD or a Itasca Sunova 34A.

Should I go V10 or Workhorse W22? The salesman said the W22 gets 1-2 mpg more then the V10. I'm also a Chevy fan so I wonder if it's worth the extra money.

We love the storage, the floorplan and the wheels. We are going to test drive the Monaco tomorrow morning.

One more question, can you expect a dealer to take 20% off MSRP if they are paying $78,000 for a 2007 Hurricane 31H?

Old 03-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #3

Should I purchase the Scotch Guard / Wax deal they offer? They claim I will not have to wax my Monaco ever.

How about the protection that they offer for the winshield that they claim will strenghten it by 10 times.

These 2 items are $3575.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fabric and paint protectors are great money makers for the dealers and that is all. Read the fine print and you will see that on the exterior you will be required to treat the exterior with their product once or twice a year to keep the so called "warranty" in effect.

As for the Scotch Guard, you can buy the stuff and treat the fabrics yourself much cheaper.

For $3575.00 you can get a lot of cleaning and wax jobs done over the years.

Ken
Old 03-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #5

Rule #1-Never believe what a salesman tells you.
Rule #2-Never forget Rule #1
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon Cramer:

One more question, can you expect a dealer to take 20% off MSRP if they are paying $78,000 for a 2007 Hurricane 31H? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't let the $78k for you used coach cloud your eyes. You're only getting wholsale for it. Get the wholesale value of your coach from the dealer's NADA book or at your bank. That is what it is worth to a dealer. Take 30% off the MSRP of the new coach. Subtract the wholesale value of your trade and make that your offer. Don't settle for less the 28% off MSRP minus wholesale for your trade.

After you arrive at, what you consider, a fair price tell them you'll do the deal if they through in the scotchgaurd/wax and the windshied treatment for FREE. Actually, they're worth nothing. Or you can forget the wax and windshield treatment and tell them you want an extended warranty to seal the deal.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

Don't let the $78k for you used coach cloud your eyes. You're only getting wholsale for it. Get the wholesale value of your coach from the dealer's NADA book or at your bank. That is what it is worth to a dealer. Take 30% off the MSRP of the new coach. Subtract the wholesale value of your trade and make that your offer. Don't settle for less the 28% off MSRP minus wholesale for your trade.

After you arrive at, what you consider, a fair price tell them you'll do the deal if they through in the scotchgaurd/wax and the windshied treatment for FREE. Actually, they're worth nothing. Or you can forget the wax and windshield treatment and tell them you want an extended warranty to seal the deal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NADA only has 2006 models. For the 2006 on NADA the low retail is $54,450 and the average retail is $65,600. So I would assume that my wholesale value would be what $70,000?

So what your saying is that on this coach that they want $104,000 for I can go in there tomorrow and say I want $70,000 for my Hurricane ($8000 less than they offered for trade)and I want 30% off the Monaco?

I just want to make sure I have the right idea.

I will pass on the waxing and the windshield deal!

What about the workhorse? Is it worth the additional $6,000-$10,000 for it?

Thanks Tom!

Brandon

Old 03-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Your Hurricane is worth less than $50,000 wholesale.

If the coach you want to purchase lists for $104,000MSRP then 30% off brings it down to about $73,000. Subtract the wholesale value of your trade in (a dealer never buys for more than wholesale). $73,000-$50,000 equals $23,000. $23,000 is the starting negotiating figure.

IMHO, the Ford chassis is fine for a &lt;35' coach although I would want the Ford chassis with the 22.5" tires. Big gas coaches need the W24 or W25.5 Workhorse chassis.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:48 AM   #9

That must be why I had trouble getting them to come down in price. We ended up with a Itasca Sunova 34A. I liked the Monaco Monarch 33PBD but there were some things inside that seemed to be cheaply made. I hate the way the dog house looks. To me it looks like they just slapped a piece of carpet on there and they were done.

I had to give up the tires, the side storage, the tilting backup camera, the pull out sofa bed, but it's hard to beat the space on the Itasca Sunova 34A. There is just so much room with that 3rd slide out in the kitchen. It's amazing. If I wouldn't have gone in the Itasca I would have boughten then Monaco.

We ended up getting $60k for our Hurricrap and 15% off the Itasca. We also saved $1000 on the warranty. Is that good? If it's not I don't know how I could have gotten anymore from them.

Of course I could have used the approach of saying I guess if you can't get me 30% then I'm walking. (I'm too desperate to get rid of the Hurricrap to do that.) I know they were glad to see me leave. I felt this was one of my best deals I have ever made.

Thoughts?