RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #1

Monarch Captain's Chairs

We've got a 2008 Monarch, love the coach, not crazy about the flexsteel captains chairs. The foam seems to be poorly placed making it uncomforatble after a hour or so. DW says she feels like shee will slide out of the seat when I am braking. Also the leather or similar material used to cover the chair is pretty slippery. We didn't notice this when test driving the coach, but after a few trips (7000 miles) we are ready to change something. By comparison, the seats on our 2001 Bounder (also Flexsteel) were very confortable and you "settled" into them. The seat covering was very soft.
Has anyone experienced the same dis-satisfaction with the seat, and what did you do about it? I'm thinking of having them reworked by an auto upolstery shop.
Keith

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On or 2006 Monarch we added padding to the forward section seat cushion bottom. It helped......but I think changing the seats would be a better way to go.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It won't do much for the slipperiness or foam placement, but to counter the "sliding off the seat" feel: if you have the power seat adjustments, have you tried raising the front and lowering the rear of the seat? Tip it back a bit so it's sloped like in Drifter's picture (and then re-adjust the backrest for comfort) and it may help that sliding around feeling.

A good upholstery shop can do wonders to re-work the seats to be just how you want them. But make sure to price out a new set of seats as well, and see what's a better deal (especially since you could try to sell the old seats to help recoup some of the cost.)

We must have different Flexsteel seats, or our butts must be shaped differently, because I think ours are very comfortable. In fact, I just took a 6 hour trip in my daily driver truck, which I used to think was very comfortable, but now I can't help thinking how the seats in the MH have spoiled me, and now I don't like being in my truck for more than an hour or two (because I now know better!)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #4

How did you get the foam up under the cover? Did you undo any of the stitching?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

Shapeshifter: Our seats are manual, the lower portion of the seat is bolted to the pedestal and not adjustable I'm thinking about loosening the joint and inserting a shim in the front of the bolted joint to tip the seat back, I think this is what you were speaking of?
I looked at the new chairs on line, many to choose from but without sitting in them I can't be sure of improving the fit.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithb56 View Post
Shapeshifter: Our seats are manual, the lower portion of the seat is bolted to the pedestal and not adjustable I'm thinking about loosening the joint and inserting a shim in the front of the bolted joint to tip the seat back, I think this is what you were speaking of?
I looked at the new chairs on line, many to choose from but without sitting in them I can't be sure of improving the fit.
I'm not sure about the safety aspects of shimming the seat, but tipping it like that is what I was suggesting.

And yes, there are a lot of choices, but without sitting in them, how do you know which one is comfortable to you? That is a dilemma...

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote