Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Moths and Mice

Near the end of our long trip we were invaded by moths and mice. I'm talking like 40 or 50 moths. They just kept coming and we killed about 40 the first night and some more the next 2 days and now looks like we have them under control. Anyone ever been hit with this many at one time? We've encountered one every now and then but this time was ridiculous. Assuming a batch must have hatched in the coach some where.

Regarding the mice caught one right off but the second one took off with the trap so now need to find him before he starts to stink.

Ain't rving fun.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Are you keeping your outside lights on at night? Could be your inviting them in.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Rarely even turn those light on.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:17 AM   #4

We had the same thing happen a couple years ago with the moths. Drove us crazy, never figured out where they came from, and hasn't happened since. Strange, would love to know why.....
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #5

Just wait until you encounter a stink bug major invasion!! They have the whole outdoors to wander around, but seem to prefer inside an RV (or house). Some eastern states are very bad for picking up the stinky little creatures. I've learned the hard way to NOT suck them up in a hand vacuum. Odd but the best method is to place an ice cube in a little wide mouth jar ... move the jar up under the bug and then quickly surround him with the open jar. Works when the bug is on the ceiling, of course. The cool air makes the bug drop into the jar. Pop the lid on, and you have the beginning of a stink bug collection, with no odor (if you are quick). Sounds gross, but I keep the jar in the freezer, ice cube, and stink bugs and all. They die quickly when frozen. After the jar has a bunch of bugs, I toss it in the trash and get a new jar. I suppose if I want to chase away people who are staying too long, I'll drag out my stink bug collection to show off.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well I caught the second mouse but still looking for the missing trap. Pulled the panel next to driver seat thinking he pull the trap behind it but nothing there so tomorrow will pull the top panel in the dash to see if he pulled it up in the dash.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

Eventually you will be able to follow the scent.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm hoping he escaped the first trap and is the one I caught today. It's been around 104 to 106 degrees here so if he's still in the trap the odor should be coming quickly.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
I'm hoping he escaped the first trap and is the one I caught today. It's been around 104 to 106 degrees here so if he's still in the trap the odor should be coming quickly.
Eventually they dry out...no worries.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Then I'll have a mummy mouse.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #11

Hi, I'm new and never responded to a question before so don't know if i'm doing it correctly. I've had tremendous success with keeping small glue traps and roach traps at various spots in the mh basement. They catch spiders and all kinds of things before getting to the living area. Also i make sure I have them near the opening where the water and power lines go out.
56corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Eventually they dry out...no worries.
I can speak from experience. I thought they'd just dry out, too. Nope.

It took a few days to find where an intense smell in the moho was coming from. We found that a dead stinky critter in the vacuum outlet in an outside compartment was the source. I'll spare you the grossness we had in removing it.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Well found the missing mouse trap. The little bugger dragged the trap all the way from the front of the coach to the bedroom and got free between the slide and wall. Naturally I found it when I tried to put the slide out and it ended up crooked. Fortunately no damage to the slide but will set a trap in the bedroom in case I have a 3rd mouse aboard.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Your moth problem is possibly Indian meal moths and they're hatching from something you're carrying with you. Check your pantry. Look for boxes with web looking material on it. Possibly cocoons on it too. Post a photo of one if you get a chance.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote