Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

1996 Monaco Dynasty 325hp

I started it yesterday and everything worked. Today when I turned on the key all the normal dash light come on, the ABS system cycles (tests) and buzzers start like normal. However, the transmission control box doesn’t light up and the motor won’t crank. It doesn’t click, or even try to turn over. Batteries are full. Help
Craig 2L29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #2

It almost sounds like the ignition switch. You can try to remove the dash and test it with a test light. Prior to, I would check all the fuses.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #3

I thought about the switch and I will test it. I see so many relays and solenoids back there almost overwhelming. I checked all the fuses i could find all are ok. Would any of the isolators cause this problem, I have a larger one and a smaller one? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 AM   #4

Craig
There are two ignition relays and beakers in the rear engine compartment electrical panel(mine are on the left side panel)that are energized when the key is in the run and /or start position .One of these will energize the solenoid on the starter.Go to the rear and have wife turn the key and listen for it to click .Or try to start from the rear start switch and listen for a relay click
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #5

Check and see if you can hear your starter solenoid click when someone turns the key inside. If not, tap it with a hammer as it may have a "dead spot". If that still doesn't work then arch across the two bolts on the starter solenoid while the key is turned inside. This should start it until you can get in and get your SS replaced.

Good luck with everything...
rvguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #6

Thanks for the help. Will try all of this and advise.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
craig2l29...
Can I throw some "Monaco karma" your way... pretty please!!?

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar problem occur, it turned out to be failur of one of the large relays in the front electronics bay. It looks like a starter relay in the lower left of the large box in the center of the bay. It is an 80 amp continous duty relay.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #9

Craig
As Carl has stated above there are two large continuous duty solenoids in the front run bay. One is Accessory...the other is ignition and supply's the power to the solenoid in the rear that I mentioned earlier make sure it clicks in when the key is turned to the run (on ) position. They are prone to failure
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #10

Also if it has failed take it to Nappa or such and they will have the replacement.On the large lugs are big cables that are on a post outside the front run bay that come loose or corroded from road grime ...check and clean them if it is clicking in but still no power
Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #11

Will this solenoid also supply power to the push button transmission controller? Mine used to light up when the key was in the run possession before starting the RV. Now no power to it.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Pipedream is right on....I had the same problem, and was told it is a common failure!
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #13

Pipedream thanks for the info. Where would the "Front run bay" be located.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:16 AM   #14

Craig
Sorry for the long delay in my rely....your front run bay (as it is called) in the electrical compartment for 12v fuses outside under the drivers window at the front.You should find two large continuous duty solenoids(look like old Ford starter solenoids) - Mine are on the top left side
The ignition solenoid supplies power when the key is in the RUN position to dash gages ,transmission module wipers etc....in my case levelers and all 12v power to all engine modules that require power to run.They are supplied there power by large cables from a "through post" through the side wall of the electric box and sometimes the post connections need cleaning.I have pictures but dont know how to post them here ..sorry