Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Motor will not turn over

So our 01 Windsor seems to have plenty of battery. But when the "Wait to start" light goes off and I turn the key all I get is an alarm. Beating like 4 times.
Ideas?
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like a connection problem or a voltage problem.........Take a meter and read the voltage at the starter post when a helper trys to start it........if you can't get under it to the starter.....tries getting a voltage reading at the chassis batteries while a helper try to start the engine.......and see if the voltage stays up when the key is turned.......and go from there.......This will eliminate the battery factor..... maybe without taking them out and having them load tested........for now.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The fuel pump runs fine.
Gen starts fine.

Seems like some sort of lock out preventive deal.
Tranny has some code when key is turned on I don't remember seeing before.
Big 0 with like an asterisk in it.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's always a good idea to ask questions like: Has any work been done to the coach recently?? What else does or does not work on the chassis??? Do you have a good bright set of headlights??? The head lights require a little more current that most items except the starter. If the head light are not bright or don't stay bright you've got a problem with the battery state of charge.

Voltage from a battery is only part of the story. What really does the work is the current. You could have a 12 volt battery operate a radio which only draws about 1-amp of current. Your starter motor draws about 125 or more amps to operate. Yes the voltage is some what of an indication but only part of the story. If after attempting to crank the voltage drops down to less than 12 or around 11 your battery is either dead or not able to accept a charge.

My next step would be to use a portable battery charger and charge the coach battery for 12-24 hours. Also cleaning ALL battery connections both + and - are a must. Then try the cranking part. When you perform these steps you are essentially load testing the battery. It's exactly the same thing as taking it to a shop. They will charge the battery then apply a load equal to 1/2 the cold cranking amps. The battery voltage has to remain above 9.6 volts after 15 seconds of loading. If it falls below it's not accepting a charge.

This may also have something to do with the diesel thing. I'm a novice when it comes to those dino engines. But I do know cranking circuits.

TeJay
Old 10-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Head lights work great.
I do really appreciate the help with this.
Last time it was a switch in the engine bay.
This time I get the alarm beeps
Old 10-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forgot to add we are on day 3 of a 4 day trip.
This maybe a 5 or 6 day trip for me.
Have a rv mech coming to look tomorrow afternoon.
Wife and daughter are renting a car as they have to be home.
All part of the journey.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Check the remote start switches in the engine compartment. The one labeled "Front/Back" should be set to "Front".
Other candidates are the ignition switch and starter relay. A less likely possibility is the starter.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #8

Does your Windsor have a STOP engine light as well as a Check Engine Light? Do they both go out before you try and start the motor?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #9

Our coach has switches on the levelers that disable the ignition start
switch when they are down. Want to guess how I discovered this? Lucky it was in my sons driveway and he is a mechanic it only caused a short delay.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Than
If your tranny is showing a code then that's your problem. I'd call cummins or Allison and ask what the zero means on your display.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
based on what we found today it looks like it is the starter. just will not turn.

thank you for all of your help. We will know tomorrow at 4 o'clock for sure
Old 10-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
So it's a 3 hour drive home in the rental car. At least we will all be back somewhat on schedule. Then soon as it starts, hopefully tomorrow, I jump back in rental for the 3 hour drive back to turn in rental and get coach.
Love rv ING and it will

take more then this to get disappointed.

The Tranny deal is a bulb check I had never noticed because it always started before.

Again thanks all. Just filling you in as I hate it when someone comes on with a issue and folks are trying to help and the op doesn't follow up.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
based on what we found today it looks like it is the starter. just will not turn.

thank you for all of your help. We will know tomorrow at 4 o'clock for sure

I had exact same problem. Bad starter. Cummins had the best price. Have your engine number handy and be sure they clock it for your engine. Mine had special bolts and I had to buy a new set of sockets. 16 point if I recall.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 10-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Alan, thanks for the heads up.
Yes it was the starter, starts great now.
Just lost a little of that "trust" deal I had where I knew EVERY time I turned the key it would fire right up.

Maybe something else would give me trouble but drive train, no worries.

Last night on the way home I had to stop on the hwy for rock blasting in the mountains. Sat there about half hour while the road was closed.

Never turned off the rig....