Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Motorhome Paint Codes Question

I want to get some touch up paint put into spray cans. I have found the auto paint store that can do it for $10 per can, but he does not recognize the paint codes that are on the bottom of the drivers seat.

Monaco says that they use Diamont paint, which is top quality, but the codes I have are not in the Diamont computer listings. Where do I go from here?

Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Luke...Look on the base of the driver seat pedestal.
You will find your paint codes listed there...and then contact Jerry's Paints in Sacramento. They were able to get our codes into cans for us witout a problem with those numbers.

MM
PS...There was one color that was wrong because of a changeover mid-year...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
OK go here:

Industrial Finishes Inc.3455 W 1st AveEugene, OR 97402800-531-1305 or 541-485-2033www.industrialfinishes.com

Ask for Dave and Chuck Swenson. They own the company and sold the paint to Monaco. They should be able to help you out. Problem is that most of the paint was a base coat which looks flat, and then a clear coat over it for the shine. In its infinite wisdom, our Government stopped the use of lacquer so finding a way to get a touch paint in spray can the will do a good job will be difficult.

Good luck,

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Monaco Owners Club
Lukeaa......Funny you ask.....I just bought paint today. I took my codes to the local paint store and they determined they were Sherwin Williams paint. Went to Sherwin Williams and they had a hard time with the codes and could only locate two of the three colors. Just this month, good ole California is forcing everyone to convert to water base paint, some counties sooner than others. Sherwin Williams said I would have to wait a week or two to get a pint of the two colors. I gave up.

I pulled the refer exterior door and the water heater door (the two have all three of my colors) and went back to the local paint store. They color matched it with a machine. It was pricey......a pint was $53.00, a quart was $85.00 and the hardener was $40.00. After buying a couple of cans of clear, my bill was $280.00......ouch.

My touch up paint bottles were almost dry and I wanted to respray my MaxxAir vent covers. Well, the covers are all repainted, the sat dome has a coat of clear and I waxed the roof. The top looks good (no one can see it), will work on the rest this week.
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I pulled the refer exterior door and the water heater door (the two have all three of my colors) and went back to the local paint store.
I just had one of many forehead-slapping moments. What a great idea... I've been needing touch-up paint but didn't want to go through the hassle of taking the coach to a body shop; why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for posting that, Don.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Don,

I will check the top of your coach the next time the Google satellite goes over.

Luke
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hate this computer!!!! (Has nothing to do with topic) My Damon is painted with Sherman Williams paint, provided by Raligh Williams, so it's non standard.. So when I went to S.W. they told me they could not make it.. When my body man went to them, they mixed it right up for him

Here is the problem: Motor homes are.. Well.. BIG when compared to cars, they take longer to paint so in order to make it easier to get a good match where what goes around (The paint sprayer) comes around (To where it started) they use special slow drying binders... I suspect these are also superior binders but the key word is SUSPECT
Your local auto paint store does not stock those.. However they make no difference color wise since they are clear and the standard binders work fine

You may need to make multiple trips to get a technician who will mix 'em up

(Source on the binder info: My local Sherman Williams Technician)
Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Monaco Owners Club
wa8yxm......I know if I take my coach in for body work they'll be able to match the paint. They can cross reference colors, mix their own and blend if they have to. The problem is, I'm only looking for touch up size cans and the exact color. I don't have the ability to match/blend colors. This makes it more difficult to find the right paint. California adds another level of difficulty with it's new rules that will soon be nationwide. The changeover to waterbase paint caused some of the paint codes to be changed/lost. Sherwin Williams even had the ability to check for colors by make and model of my coach, but that didn't help on the green color that I needed.

I wish these companies would use something like PPG paint. You can get it anywhere. I'm sure it's more expensive!

2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote