Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Motorhome won’t move

Hi I have a 2007 holiday rambler imperial 42 foot class A 400 in.³ Cummings diesel my motorhome has sat for about two months I have started the generator and the motor once a month. I went out today to move it and it is like the break will not release. It has an air break I can here when I release the parking break the air when I put on the break I can hear the air. But when I put it in forward or reverse the transmission in gauges but it’s like someone has their foot on the break any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
allbrand1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Brake shoes will rust or stick to the drums. Try "rocking" the rig back and forth with the transmission .
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

It's Brake and Engage

Sounds like the brakes are locked up. My friend had a similar problem and he put the transmission in Reverse then Drive several times and the brakes released
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Your brake pads are rusted to the drums.
Build the air pressure up to the maximum with the park brake released. Then give it a full pressure brake application. That is brake pedal to the floor, as hard as you can push.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #5

Make sure the jacks ( if you had them down) have retracted. this happened to me at a campground no alarms sounded but jacks had not retracted coach would not move.
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Be careful if you try rocking it! One of my friends destroyed his diff doing just that!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #7

What does the Air Brake Pressure Gage on the dash indicate? Must be at least 65-90psi to release brakes. With the transmission engaged, should be able to move. Possibility of an air leak? when emergency brake is released by pushing it down and sufficient air pressure, should be “good to go”.
Penmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #8

Air psi is 125 each side. Have been rocking still not moving. I have put brake to the floor in neutral.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #9

Hydraulic jacks are all up
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #10

Either take a leap of faith and give it a lot of power to break them free, OR chock wheels, reliese the parking brake and get under to strike the shoes,to break them free.

If you use engine power be ready to stop when it gets loose.

If you don't want to do any of the above, call a tow truck to give it a tug. That will get them loose.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #11

I had the same problem until I noticed I did not pull the tire chocks!
ray999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #12

Hi Allbrand1999; I hope you are on-line this morning reading my post. I had the same thing happen to me on my 2000 Windsor. Please do not try rocking the coach by going forward and reverse and do not try the full throttle approach! Pay attention to what Unplanned posted. This procedure worked for me to break the brake shoes loose from the drums. I am going to have to assume that the rear drums on the rear duels are where your parking brakes are actuated. Being a newer coach I also assume that the front brakes are disk and the tag is drum. These 2 would not play into the parking brake. Follow my procedure to get the shoes to release. The brake shoes that usually stick to the drums are the bottom shoe. The configuration is a shoe at the top and a shoe on the bottom. This is where moisture settles because of gravity and water gets between the shoe and the drum. First, block you wheels so the coach cannot roll. Get yourself a steel bar or I used a 1/2" drive 12" extension. Release the parking brake at the console. Get under the coach and line up the end of the extension or bar onto the steel part of the brake shoe on the bottom of the drum. Make sure to wear gloves and eye protection. Now with a good sized hammer strike the end of the extension. You will hear a pop when the shoe separates from the drum. This method has worked for me and another owner who had the same thing happen to them. Hope this all makes sense to you. It is the only way that has worked for me to get the brake shoe to release from the drum. Please report back to let us know if it worked.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #13

1999-- Mine does it at times also. Do not be afraid to give it power and it will break FREE. Peter in Maine.
peterdube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go ahead and give it full power. It will be interesting to know how much a new or rebuilt diff costs you.
Happy Glamping.

Tags
motorhome