RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mouse Horror

I'm in really deep now. We heard a mouse in the bedroom ceiling on our summer trip. I deployed some glue traps and have caught one mouse under the steering column. I filled a couple of wire loom holes with spray foam and have not caught another mouse since.

I've been working to replace some damaged OSB from a bedroom slideout leak. We had about three inches of rain in the latest storm, which allowed me to identify an additional leak in the wall itself. The roof seam above is almost certainly the culprit. I removed the wall panels on each side of the left rear corner of the MH, and found extensive damage to the fiberglass batt insulation. It is piled up a foot deep, and saturated with mouse droppings and shells from acorns and other seeds, all the way across the rear of the coach, behind the bedroom closet.

Photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443804101.093211.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	108554

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443804131.375359.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	108555

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443804160.042195.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	108556

The last photo shows daylight shining through the two-inch gap between the rear cap and the coach floor around the engine.

This might take a while...

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #2

Looks like you're have tons of fun over there Mike! I'll have to investigate that hole to see if I have the same before the local packrats find it first. Thx for heads up on phone cable too.

I'm thinking about relocating my front tv to between the windows on curb side, across from couch/kitchen counter, but i'm hesitant on drilling into the wall to mount it (also looking at a mount that can attach to bottom of cabinets). Maybe with what you have going on, you are able to see what type of frame supports are used--do you think there is a stud that I can use to mount the tv? Its a extremely light-weight LED 40", so it doesn't have to be like concrete strong or anything.

Andy_Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Law View Post
Looks like you're have tons of fun over there Mike! I'll have to investigate that hole to see if I have the same before the local packrats find it first. Thx for heads up on phone cable too.

I'm thinking about relocating my front tv to between the windows on curb side, across from couch/kitchen counter, but i'm hesitant on drilling into the wall to mount it (also looking at a mount that can attach to bottom of cabinets). Maybe with what you have going on, you are able to see what type of frame supports are used--do you think there is a stud that I can use to mount the tv? Its a extremely light-weight LED 40", so it doesn't have to be like concrete strong or anything.

It's sure there is some structure there, but it is hard to detect through the laminated wall panels. It's aluminum, so a magnet will not help. I saw something interesting a few weeks ago that may help you, though. On cool mornings where dew forms on the outside surfaces, the aluminum framing conducts heat from the inside of the motorhome that flows through to the outside panels and prevents dew from condensing where the panel contacts the wall framing. If you catch it in this state, you can see the entire wall framing design from the outside.

We're also wanting to put a 32-40" TV on that wall, but I think I'm going to build a cabinet below the forward window and have the TV on a lift inside the cabinet. It will block the window when we're watching movies.

Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mouse Horror

Another interesting (downright idiotic to me) design choice that Monaco made is that the rear wall is attached to the floor through the carpet and padding. Who in their right mind builds a wall on top of carpeting???

Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #5

[QUOTE=slowmachine;2768044]Another interesting (Who in their right mind builds a wall on top of carpeting???

Just about every manufacture there is does this. As soon as the chassis is finished, the carpet is played down.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote