Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Move TV from over dash?

Have any of you ever moved your TV from over the dash to another part of the coach? I HATE that thing up there! I've got knots all over my head from whacking it! I would like to get rid of the old tube-type TV and put a flat-screen somewhere else. Then I can have a cabinet shop cut off the cabinet to make it level with the other cabinets over the dash, and they should be able to make a door that would match the other cabinets. Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
I took our tube tv out of the over dash box. It went in the trash. Raised the bottom to flush up with the side boxes.

Mounted a 47" flat screen on the wall at the back of the living area. We have a large, open wall above a cabinet. When we close the slide the tv is behind the wall of the slide.

Mike
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe, I removed our old crt over the dash. I didn't have a cabinet shop cut the cabinet down but I did have them make a hinged door to cover the opening. I left if in a state that if I ever wanted to put it there again I could. We now use the cabinet for storage. We moved the tv to a table that is next to the passenger seat. Makes viewing for us a whole lot easier having it at eye level. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a post about what I did... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/03-d...ns-115558.html

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For a couple of years, I had a 26" HDTV mounted just behind the pilot's chair on a custom-made (plywood) support base. It wasn't pretty, but filled a short-term need of mine at the time. OBTW, did I mention that I had also removed my road-side sofa? I use a rocking chair instead.

Placing the TV in this location required extending several cables (sat receiver, the "antenna" coax, and the DVD player's output....even AC power).

This lash-up is now retired. It was replaced by a 32" Vizio that fit nicely into the head-knocker position mid-dash. Oh well.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know exactly how you feel. This year we are going to move the new LCD TV either further forward up front, or more probably, to the mid-ship position. Our coach layout is such that we have a good wall at mid-ship to mount the LCD TV. This is probably what we will do.

What doesn't make sense to us is that the front TV doesn't allow the two front captain's chairs to be allowed to be used as usable furniture when parked. Moving the TV to mid-ship addresses that problem.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
What doesn't make sense to us is that the front TV doesn't allow the two front captain's chairs to be allowed to be used as usable furniture when parked. Moving the TV to mid-ship addresses that problem.
I am in the process of doing exactly that. I've replaced the captains chairs with more comfortable and a smaller copilot chair, removed the mirrors on the refrigerator wall, run a coax thru the overhead cabinets (couldn't use the one in the basement, it was dead) and building a frame to support the weight of the tv (refrig cabinet wall thin plywood). The tv is only 28" wide but the usability of the sqftootage is what is important to me. Since my current tv is over the pilots seat, it isn't so much of a head banger, I think I am going to install a printer in it.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #8

John ; Have a look at the Holiday Ramblers site at yahoo.. You may see something that will work for you
GGallo2005 END PDQ
geo gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
I took our tube tv out of the over dash box. It went in the trash. Raised the bottom to flush up with the side boxes.

Mounted a 47" flat screen on the wall at the back of the living area. We have a large, open wall above a cabinet. When we close the slide the tv is behind the wall of the slide.

Mike
Mike, did you have a cabinet shop cut off the cabinet and did they put a door on the opening? If so, were they able to match the finish? Thanks!

Joe
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
My front cabinets are padded white vinyl covered, to match the white leather seats.

The center box was acutally built off of the 2 side boxes, screwed to the sides.

Some screws removed, a few small boards removed, vinyl re-applied and screw back in place.

No door yet, just the hole. Not sure if we want vinyl covered and wood like the kitchen cabinets.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you do a search for TV removal etc you should be able to come up with some ideas. I posted some pics of my mod which consisted of getting rid of the noggen buster and mounting the TV on a piano hinged board which swings up and out of the way when not in use. That way didnt have to worry about rewiring cables etc when you move it to some other location in the MH.

CHEERS

Tags
dash