Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Moving Tires

I know there is a lot of talk about tires on this forum. I was thinking of moving my front tires to my tag axle and buying 6 new. The reason being the Michelin tires are much newer and in good shape. I had a friend tell me he thought there were different threads used on the front and back and I could not do that is this true? And just for the heck best tires for the buck?
allbrand1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #2

Depends on what tire you have on the front. There are steer tires that only are for front tires but I doubt you would have them. Buy all position tires and you can put them at any position.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The wheel lug thread and size are same everywhere on the coach.

The wheels used on the inside of the dual rears will be generally be steel, whereas all the other wheels are aluminum.
Note that you can't put two aluminum wheels at the dually position because the aluminum wheels are thicker and the lug studs are too short for dual aluminum wheels.

The tire sizes are usually the same in all locations, however they don't have to be. On my coach the previous owner put 315/80R-22.5 on the front (for higher load capacity) and all the tires are 295/80R-22.5

On brands - this is what I read/believe: The Michelin Tires (XZA2 or equivalent "made for RV") tires ride better. They are softer and wear faster but for most people, the tires are replaced due to age long before they wear out.

The next best choice, IMO, are the Toyo tires. They are less expensive and wear a little better, I'm told. I think many people that bought them commented on the forums they feel no difference in the ride (compared to the Michelin).

A couple people posted that they bought the Goodyear tires and did not like them.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #4

Thank you
allbrand1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

Thats what I do.

My tag tires were the last set that needed changed, so I put the new pair on the steer axle, and the two yr old steers re-mounted on the tag axle rims.
If they look good, I'll run the tag tires to 10yrs. Not the steers!
Old 11-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
I've been told that there is no such thing as "steer tires".
The DOT stipulation that steer tires must not be recaps
has likely caused all this confusion.
An out of date tire is a threat regardless of what axle
it is on. If it blows in the tag position, the damage will likely be
quite severe.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #7

Think what 'most' of us are running are called 'All position' tires ( Toyo M144 for example).
As far as damage goes ..... Sure, but a 2 hour old tire can blow out and cause lots of damage!
I think blowing a tag tire is unlikely to send you across lanes, or into the ditch, like a steer tire can !
Old 11-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
I've been told that there is no such thing as "steer tires".
The DOT stipulation that steer tires must not be recaps
has likely caused all this confusion.
An out of date tire is a threat regardless of what axle
it is on. If it blows in the tag position, the damage will likely be
quite severe.
There are differences between "steer" tires and "traction" tires with regards to tread pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steer and traction tires.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	182245  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, there are differences... We got two new 16 ply Bridgestone steer tires before our long trip last August and they are only intended for the front.
Liked the tread layout.

I asked if they COULD be on the tag and he said since they are NOT 'driven', yes, they could, but never put them on the drive axles.

We really like the ride, much better than the not so Goodyears.

Tags
tires