Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Muffler

Hello everybody, I have a 2005 Monaco Diplomat with a 400 hp Cummings Engine. I took it for Inspection and it needs a muffler, any one know where I can get exact replacement?? The Mechanic is having a hard time finding one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jimloeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

When I needed to replace the muffler in our last MH, 2003 Endeavor, the best price I got was from Summit racing, even with shipping to Alaska.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would not think you need an exact replacement...

many mufflers will work... get your dimensions and ask the muffler shops - after all, there are millions of cummins diesel pickups on the road - having it in a motorhome shouldn't change much

good luck
Old 07-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem. Call Monaco. It will be dimensionally correct and will be a muffler, but it won't be cheap. There are other louder solutions for less money, maybe. Some have opted for a straight pipe. You may be able to find one with the identical in/out locations and size that will fit with your current hangers. If you can fabricate there is no limit.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
https://www.donaldson.com/content/da...duct-Guide.pdf

This guide will give you the part number. My Dynasty takes a type 3--side inlet end outlet
Old 07-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #6

Mine went bad and I drove back from Canada with big hole rip in bottom a lot noisy.

I bought the 5x5 in out aeroturbo for $100.00 on ebay. It is a little louder with jake brake but not when running. I think I might have a little more torque at starting power band since it is low restriction no diff in temps on anything and the old elbows work just fine.

Aero Exhaust Aeroturbine AT5050 Diesel Muffler - Exhaust and Diesel Performance Parts
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am having a Areo xl 5050 put on mine this week. will let you know how it works out if you are interested.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I am having a Areo xl 5050 put on mine this week. will let you know how it works out if you are interested.
Yes I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Thanks
jimloeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I just put a Aero Exhaust AT5050XL on my 330HP 8.3L. It sounds and looks nice! The stock Monaco muffler was surprisingly a straight through design. I fired up the engine with nothing on the exhaust after the turbo and it wasn't as harsh as you would think.

FYI- If you want to do this mod on the same 330HP engine, you have to adapt the stock pipe from 4" to 5" using adapter straps. Also, it is easier to make or buy your own muffler hangers. I made my own by adding some strap steel to a regular exhaust hanger from Autozone. I also found a nice stainless 5" to 6" tip and ran it out the back instead of the drivers side rear. It looks real clean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201153722020
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	134144  
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Replaced mine with a straight thru type. Much lighter in size. Had to modify support brackets. Not as loud as I thought it would be. Nice rumble. Have to watch where I use the Jake Brake as some city's frown on them. Over all am satisfied with it for less than 100.00
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #11

I am in the middle of installing a Aero 5050 at this time, old muffler gone, new one getting a trial fit tomorrow, I made some new muffler band straps to support it, and the new one will go out the rear rather than the side with a turn town stainless tip, the old one worked but had rust holes
RonD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I know this is a few days old but I took that heavy restrictive OEM muffler off immediately upon purchase back in 2007 and replaced it with a Dynomax 5" inlet/outlet muffler. It is much smaller and less restrictive but gave the coach a much deeper and throatier sound. I am not a fan of the sound of straight piping it but to each their own. I have a few friends who have straight piped theirs and I much prefer the deeper sound of mine yet undetectable running down the road.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote