Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 12:33 AM   #1

Multiplex wiring System

Hello Monaco Owners Forum Members,
I am a new guy hear so please forgive any breaches of etiquette or protocol. I am retired. My wife and I have been searching for a 45 foot motorhome to go fulltime with for a year now. We have narrowed our search to Monaco Signature series and Country Coach. Vintage for both 2005 to 2009. We are very close to purchasing a 2007 Monaco Noble lll. Our next choice is a 2006 Signature. Just yesterday I heard there is a big problem with the “Multiplex Wiring” system being problematic and that availability of replacement components, finding service centers that reprogram the system and/or components of it is very hard to find, that it is impossible to service things as simple as a light switch and the list went on. I’ve got to say it really threw a major amount of ice water on our plans. My question is, is this Or any part of this TRUE? I really need your input and help. We would really like to purchase this Monaco Signature but are afraid to do so now. Thank you very much for your time and help. It will be sincerely appreciated.
MCW427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 04:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have the 06 signature and have never had any problems with multi wire system.
asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 AM   #3

Parts are available for the multiplex system. It is recommended that if you have one of these systems to have it evaluated and the parameters saved so if in the future you do need to replace a part, they can use that info to reprogram your system. M&M electronics in OH are experts in this field. We had our program tweaked by them, and then recorded, we have a copy and they hold onto a copy. The real horror stories come from the newer coaches that were built with a chassis multiplex system.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Having recently gone from switches to multiplex...04 to 08 I read every post about the multiplex system. It would not be a deal breaker for me...obviously. Parts are still available and MI is fairly close to OH so I would have M&M pull the coach’s program...$200.

Often all that’s needed to fix is to turn the 12V power off..:just like your computer.
A Signature will make a great FT coach.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In general the multiplex system is not problematic but when it is I have only been able to find one company to work on it and it is M&M Electronics. Currently my slides will not function. I have an appointment with them in early May. Unfortunately, they need to have the Coach at their facility so their software can help the issue. Yes it is a bit concerning that there is virtually one company in the country that has the core competence regarding the Intellitec system but my guess is that is may not be much different with the aging CC systems.

Best of luck with your decision!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I never had any problems with the multiplex system. Any high end coach is going through the planned obsolescence of these systems and it will be worse in the future.
I'm not overly concerned about the Monaco systems.
Lots of info available...
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We have owned both a 2007 with the Intellitec multiplex system and a 2004 without it. I would much prefer the Intellitec system and would not hesitate to purchase a coach with Intellitec. The switches are programmable and light up so you can easily see them in dark conditions. The old individual switch system is difficult to use until you memorize switch locations.
The Intellitec multiplex system was introduced in the 2005 Signature.

Just an FYI on some yearly differences in the Signature. The newer Magnum inverter was introduced in the 2006 model (prior to that Monaco used the Trace Xantrex inverter which is no longer supported). The 2006 also has 3" of additional head room.

The HWH air ride/leveling system is the best available system and is used in the Signature through 2006. In 2007 they switched to the Power Gear Valid air ride/leveling system. The Valid system is good, but HWH is still actively improving and supporting their air ride system and many folks are taking their brand new 2019 coaches to HWH and spending $10k to have HWH active air installed.

If you want an additional 3" of head room (6" more than a 2005) then look for a 2008 Signature.
However, in 2008 most of the Signature engines are the Cummins 650hp ISX. I would recommend you read through the Cummins section on this forum so you are aware of the issues.

Monaco closed the doors in April 2009. Production in the last few months was sporadic. By then they were making 2010 models.

You can download the legacy Monaco brochures here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures

Download Monaco owners manuals here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/rv-owners-manuals
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the Intellitec system in my Country Coach. So far no troubles and last year I bought 4 of the control panels just in case. I live about 100 miles from Coburg OR and there are experts there than can program the system.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced two multiplexing boards in the first few months of ownership 4 years ago. First was the board that switches between the dryer and rear A/C unit under the rear closet false floor. Next was the board that is connected to the bedroom door switch. It keeps the slide from closing when the door is closed which would crush the door. It was causing the galley lights to randomly go or and off. It is located behind the false back of the cabinet above the windshield & behind the TV. Easily replaced once it was located. I could have just switched the wires to an unused post on the board but since they were readily available I switched the board and kept the old ones for spares.

M&M backed up the computer and all switch pads. I have a copy and they have a copy. M&M can also rebuild most boards it they aren't available.

I wouldn't give the multiplexing system much thought, it is reliable.

I am a fan of the 2007 which has the 2006 EPA Cummins ISX. It hasn't been reported as being a problem. The '07 has a few changes from the '06 that I like but both are very nice.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
OP, I'd be going and look at this 06 Signature at PPL in TX. Other than some corrosion on the camera on the mirrors I do not understand why it's been around for over a month that I know of. Has the good ISM engine so no worries about the ISX valve issue.
https://www.rvusa.com/monaco-rv-sign...rne-tx-2416688

It does have the NoCold 1200 which is often replaced by a Samsung residential...$1200 or a 21 cuft Whirlpool for a little less.

I did find this on the CPU portion of the system...happy reading:

THE PMC CPU IS THE MAIN COMPONENT OF INTELLITEC'S PROGRAMMABLE MULTIPLEX CONTROL FAMILY. IT CONTROLS REMOTE I/O MODULES THROUGH INTELLITEC'S MULTIPLEX COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM. THIS MULTIPLEX SYSTEM ALLOWS THE CPU, I/O MODULES, AND SWITCH PANELS TO BE WIRED TOGETHER WITH TWO WIRES. THIS CPU HAS TWO IDENTICAL, 4-PIN, AMP MATE-N-LOK CONNECTORS. PIN 1 PROVIDES A FUSED 12V POWER SOURCE TO POWER THINGS LIKE SWITCH BACK LIGHTING. PINS 2 AND 3 ARE THE MULTIPLEX SIGNALS (TWO LOOPS OF 160 CHANNELS EACH) WHICH COMMUNICATE INSTRUCTIONS TO AND FROM EACH OF THE I/O MODULES. PIN 4 IS MULTIPLEX COMMUNICATION GROUND.

A SYSTEM CAN BE AS SMALL AS ONE CPU AND ONE I/O MODULE, OR IT CAN COMMUNICATE WITH UP TO 32 I/O MODULES. EACH MODULE CAN HAVE A COMBINATION OF UP TO 10 INPUTS, OR OUTPUTS. MULTIPLE MODULES CAN BE WIRED TO A SINGLE CONNECTOR. ALL INPUT, OR SWITCH INFORMATION IS GATHERED THROUGH THE REMOTE MODULES AND DIRECTLY COMMUNICATED TO THE CPU. THE CPU THEN INTERPRETS THE INPUTS, DETERMINES THE STATES OF ALL OUTPUTS AND COMMUNICATES THAT INFORMATION TO THE REMOTE MODULES VIA THE PMC COMMUNICATIONS LINK (PINS 1 AND 3
Old 03-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I looked at the 2006 Signature that PPL has. It's a great price, but it needs LOTS of TLC. Several of the Intelletec switch panels are destroyed. This coach has corrosion everywhere. I'm sure it can be brought back to life, but it's going to be a big project.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I looked at the 2006 Signature that PPL has. It's a great price, but it needs LOTS of TLC. Several of the Intelletec switch panels are destroyed. This coach has corrosion everywhere. I'm sure it can be brought back to life, but it's going to be a big project.
The price was too good to be true...Thanks
Old 03-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #13

The multiplex you are hearing they had problems with are the Kongsberg chassis multiplex that was only used in late 08 and 09 production years. Your 06 should be fine. The techs at REV in Coburg can fix the Kongsberg systems. Unless something has changed, Chris at M&M in Ohio told me they don't work on the Kongsberg CCM. I also heard a rumor that they were going to try and take a Kongsberg CCM apart and see if they could build one. The Intellitec boards should be fine, no problems getting fixed or worked on.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring