RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
To help get this forum off and running, I thought I'd offer my story (even though no one's really asked for it) -

We have a fully-optioned '06 Endeavor 40PAQ Mission Hills that we absolutely love. It's motorhome #6 for us (although it's our first Holiday-Rambler & diesel product), and we feel like we finally got a long-term keeper'. Some of the previous ones have been good, and a couple were ... ummm... less than that. We purchased it after extensive research and touring several of the manufacturer's factories in the Indiana-region this past Christmas, and there was no further thought as to what the next one would be. In fact, we'd have bought one right off the factory-floor if we could. Fortunately, DeMartini was right across the road, and as they say .... "That's all she wrote".

As to never leaving well-enough alone, in no particular order here's a list of changes/upgrades (so far):
1) KVH In-Motion R5 Satellite (BTW: an external DC power-supply worked wonders to keep it tracking correctly!).
2) 2 XM radios, one wired thru the big HTIB stereo and one thru the dash radio.
3) Jotto-Desk for the laptop and DeLorme map-software.
4) SilverLeaf VMSpc engine-monitor.
5) Vena AC/DC power monitor panel.
6) Progressive Industries 50A surge protector.
7) BrakeSwitch engine-exhaust braking switch.
8) Gen-Turi generator exhaust chimney.
9) Installed a full-coach water-filter system.
10) Added multiple wireless thermometers & sensors to monitor outside & inside temperatures at various locations.
11) Added a small fan in overhead stereo compartment above driver head to circulate and exhaust hot air (satellite-receiver added a lot of extra heat).
12) Routed the Satellite receiver audio/video through the HTIB receiver for much better sound and picture.
13) Reversed most of the switches in the coach (ie, you'd flip a switch up' to turn the light off).
14) Re-mounted the rear-camera monitor up about 4-6 inches, so's I won't have to peek thru the steering-wheel.
15) Took out the bed under the couch and replaced it with additional storage space.
16) Routed previously blocked-off under-couch heater vent to exhaust behind driver seat now.
17) Removed all window frames and glued in thin pipe-insulation between window frame and wall, to eliminate squeaking/rubbing while underway.
18) Added a small shelf in Inverter compartment to store portable satellite-dish and tripod.
19) Added hasps/locks on the outside compartment-door directly behind the water-heater and installed a thin plywood layer over holding tanks, for small/light item storage (such as the generator Gen-Turi carry-case).
20) Installed the remote-keylock system LED indicator light on a windshield pillar.
21) Reversed both the power hose-reel and cord-reel, so's they wind up OVER the reel and not under (talked to the guys at TDI Products and they said they were installed backwards initially).
22) Sealed a major water leak at the right-rear corner (which was causing water to pour in under the washer-dryer and onto the Inverter).
23) Added 2 shelves in the storage-bay on road-side.
24) Moved the Dometic Comfort-Control Panel about a foot lower, so we could read it without standing on tippy-toes.
25) Replaced the 2 over-bed dim lights with directional lights for reading.
26) Cleaned up all the post-construction leftovers, such as leftover screws & debris behind couch, etc (I'm a stickler for details like that).
27) There's probably alot more, but that's all I can remember right now.

Still to do:
1) Trace a pesky 12VDC intermittent wiring-short in the Atrium.
2) Add a toad tire-pressure monitor system.
3) Wax it (Yikes!).
4) I've got more things I want, but this is all I'm willing to admit for the time-being.

As-yet unresolved concerns/problems:
1) Like mentioned elsewhere, the engine-gauges may need some work.
2) Refrigerator and Freezer doors hit each other and/or trim pieces when opened/closed.
3) Weather-stripping around exterior of Bathroom & Atrium slide-outs is pulling loose.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to heartily recommend a HolidayRambler/Monaco to anyone, and the PAQ floorplan suits us perfectly.

Thanks for reading,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
To help get this forum off and running, I thought I'd offer my story (even though no one's really asked for it) -

We have a fully-optioned '06 Endeavor 40PAQ Mission Hills that we absolutely love. It's motorhome #6 for us (although it's our first Holiday-Rambler & diesel product), and we feel like we finally got a long-term keeper'. Some of the previous ones have been good, and a couple were ... ummm... less than that. We purchased it after extensive research and touring several of the manufacturer's factories in the Indiana-region this past Christmas, and there was no further thought as to what the next one would be. In fact, we'd have bought one right off the factory-floor if we could. Fortunately, DeMartini was right across the road, and as they say .... "That's all she wrote".

As to never leaving well-enough alone, in no particular order here's a list of changes/upgrades (so far):
1) KVH In-Motion R5 Satellite (BTW: an external DC power-supply worked wonders to keep it tracking correctly!).
2) 2 XM radios, one wired thru the big HTIB stereo and one thru the dash radio.
3) Jotto-Desk for the laptop and DeLorme map-software.
4) SilverLeaf VMSpc engine-monitor.
5) Vena AC/DC power monitor panel.
6) Progressive Industries 50A surge protector.
7) BrakeSwitch engine-exhaust braking switch.
8) Gen-Turi generator exhaust chimney.
9) Installed a full-coach water-filter system.
10) Added multiple wireless thermometers & sensors to monitor outside & inside temperatures at various locations.
11) Added a small fan in overhead stereo compartment above driver head to circulate and exhaust hot air (satellite-receiver added a lot of extra heat).
12) Routed the Satellite receiver audio/video through the HTIB receiver for much better sound and picture.
13) Reversed most of the switches in the coach (ie, you'd flip a switch up' to turn the light off).
14) Re-mounted the rear-camera monitor up about 4-6 inches, so's I won't have to peek thru the steering-wheel.
15) Took out the bed under the couch and replaced it with additional storage space.
16) Routed previously blocked-off under-couch heater vent to exhaust behind driver seat now.
17) Removed all window frames and glued in thin pipe-insulation between window frame and wall, to eliminate squeaking/rubbing while underway.
18) Added a small shelf in Inverter compartment to store portable satellite-dish and tripod.
19) Added hasps/locks on the outside compartment-door directly behind the water-heater and installed a thin plywood layer over holding tanks, for small/light item storage (such as the generator Gen-Turi carry-case).
20) Installed the remote-keylock system LED indicator light on a windshield pillar.
21) Reversed both the power hose-reel and cord-reel, so's they wind up OVER the reel and not under (talked to the guys at TDI Products and they said they were installed backwards initially).
22) Sealed a major water leak at the right-rear corner (which was causing water to pour in under the washer-dryer and onto the Inverter).
23) Added 2 shelves in the storage-bay on road-side.
24) Moved the Dometic Comfort-Control Panel about a foot lower, so we could read it without standing on tippy-toes.
25) Replaced the 2 over-bed dim lights with directional lights for reading.
26) Cleaned up all the post-construction leftovers, such as leftover screws & debris behind couch, etc (I'm a stickler for details like that).
27) There's probably alot more, but that's all I can remember right now.

Still to do:
1) Trace a pesky 12VDC intermittent wiring-short in the Atrium.
2) Add a toad tire-pressure monitor system.
3) Wax it (Yikes!).
4) I've got more things I want, but this is all I'm willing to admit for the time-being.

As-yet unresolved concerns/problems:
1) Like mentioned elsewhere, the engine-gauges may need some work.
2) Refrigerator and Freezer doors hit each other and/or trim pieces when opened/closed.
3) Weather-stripping around exterior of Bathroom & Atrium slide-outs is pulling loose.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to heartily recommend a HolidayRambler/Monaco to anyone, and the PAQ floorplan suits us perfectly.

Thanks for reading,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
I am humbled by your presence........

Have you addressed a CB radio yet?
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Oh yeah, thanks RVRON. That would be number #28 on my list!

I completely forgot about the CB since I've only turned it on once after I installed it, and that was to listen to the truckers going over the temporary I-10 Pensacola Bridge right after they re-opened it. It was a riot hearing them admonishing each other to drive 'lightly' when they crossed, asking who could swim if it collapsed again, and trying to decide what products in their trailers would float and what wouldn't (naturally beer was at the top of their lists).

I doubt that little pigtail-shaped antenna does much to get the signal out either, throwing a note tied to a rock may go further. Been meaning to tune it up or maybe even get a better antenna, but so far I haven't messed with it. It's one of those Cobra all-in-one kind, and I got it mainly for the Weatherband but then read the directions for the dash radio and found it had the WX too (hey, I'm a guy. I usually don't read directions, ok?).

How's yours coming along? Is it behaving well?

Anyone else out there?
Ron

Old 06-03-2006, 04:07 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Ron,

I think you'll find the forward range of the antenna is about 500 yards and range to the rear is worse. I'm looking into a front pillar mounted NGP (no ground plane) antenna to replace this worthless stick on the roof. I know it would have to help. Then I could listen to all that informative & colorful language that the truck drivers inflict on the airways even more!!! LOL -Ron
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #6

He who has a motor home needs no other hobbies!!!!
doug ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Amen, Doug. And may I add ".... or money for other hobbies"

RVRon -
Have you found a satisfactory replacement antenna yet? Be interested to hear about one if/when you do.

Thanks!
Ron

Old 06-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ron, no matter WHAT you get you will almost always find things to add/fix/change to make it "Just the way you want it".

I know I always seem to be finding stuff to "Customize".
Old 06-14-2006, 12:53 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
I know what ya mean about customizing Don, it's the re-engineering that bothers me.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

As RVRON pointed out above, I'd forgotten to list the cb radio (probably because it's almost never on), making it #28 on my list.

#29, which I just completed, was installation of a PressurePro TireMonitor (several people are selling the same unit under their 'brand', but I bought the version sold by RVUpgrades ). Tried it in the back yard with the Wrangler parked about the right distance and it worked as advertised, but I had to use the optional antenna to get enough range. I get to try it for real next week on a 3000-mile trip. (Peace of mind will be bliss)

I was dreading finding enough access to route the antenna cable along the frame-rails from under the cockpit to the rear of the coach, but then found the square-tubing reinforcements that run lengthwise under the baggage-compartment are hollow, once you poke a hole thru the foam-sealer at each end. Then it was a simple matter to fish the cable thru and mount the antenna at one end and run the other end up to the dash. The wire-length couldn'ta been more perfect too! The antenna is mounted a bit off the vertical so as to not stick down too far below the other chassis parts (not that I'm planning to off-road it anytime soon), and we'll see if it can see the sensors sufficiently when I hit the road.

Ok, what can I tackle next?
Ron

PS: I like to think I've had a lot of experience poking in/under/around/over/etc this coach (and all my others before it), and would be honored to share my experiences with anyone that's interested in learning from what I did wrong the first time (or second, or third, or ...) before I got something to work. Hey, if nothing else, it'll be good for a laugh or two

Old 06-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #11

Hi all,
Been RVing29+ years and still counting. Have used CB the whole time with great success in avoiding traffic jams etc. Have communicated with the big truck about fuel prices, detours and low clearances etc.
Have used tire minitors since mid-90s and wouldn't be without 'em. Never had a range problem that required an external antenna tho'.

rvr2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ron

We have the sam HM 06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ. I would be very intersted in the details of your modifications. I too would like to move the Dometic control center.

One of the modifications I would like to be able to make is the ability to put the A/C on a time control. We are gone most of the day but I can't figure out how to change temprature setting based on time of day.

Look forward to hearing the details of you modifications.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:58 AM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ron,
I've sent you a PM.
Sam

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Sam/Canuck -
I just replied to you.

Hi itdave -
So I guess you're not 7 feet tall either, eh? Moving the Dometic Control Panel was quite simple, I just mounted it on the wall to the right (and about 2 feet lower!) of the original location and put my Vena AC/DC panel in its old place to cover the holes.

Once you snap off the face-plate of the Dometic Panel, there's a couple screws that hold it to the wall and a telephone-type cable. I removed it all and when I found the new spot for panel that I liked, I drilled a hole for the telephone cable and fished the cable out the hole and plugged it back in, and screwed it all on. Then it was a matter of cutting a big enough hole for the Vena Panel where the Dometic Panel was, and running all of its wires for it.

Quite simple to do really, but also time-consuming in fishing all the wires behind the wall as I wanted it to look as good as I could (no extra wires or holes sticking out).

By the way, there's gobs of wires in the wall between the panel and the shower, so be sure to check VERY CAREFULLY before drilling ANY holes!

I've looked too at putting it all on a timer, but haven't decided how/if I'm going to do it. A lot of the 'smarts' for the Air Conditioners are in the AC's themselves and lot is in the Control Panel, and it may be difficult to make it all play well together if there's another box in there trying to turn it all on/off. It's not like the earlier units that can easily be converted to a regular home-type controller. Please let me know if you figure it out!

How do you like your PAQ, and have you had any issues? How about modifications?

Hope this helps y'all.
Thanks!
Ron

(Oh, and usual disclaimer here, about nothing I said shall imply any liability on my part, blah-blah-blah...)