RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
My slide out is still making the grinding noise when I bring it in.

I apprecite all the responses from My last thread, but I was looking at the out side of Our bed room slide, and it looks like to Us that the room isn't sealed at the bottom as the top is. I was going to ask all of You that said
You were having the same popping noise, if You have had any water leakage when it rains, coming in to the bed room slide?
I put a dry spray on all the seals around the slide and also used a light oil
on the slide gear mechanism, and it still grinds if I try and pull it in to the point that it used to be all the way up against the dresser on the other wall. I sure would appreciate Y'all sharing how Your's does when You have it pulled all the way in.

Phil and Linda Palmer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:21 AM   #2

We had something that was on the floor get caught under the slide and that caused us a closing issue (do not remember what it was). Also a long time ago on a class C that I had, the bolts on the slide rails came loose and caused closing problems.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
From what I have seen most bedroom slides use rollers to support the slideout at the opening. If one of them comes loose it can cause the slide to drop and drag on the rv as it moves.

Grinding sounds means something is dragging against something else. Whether something fell and got lodged under the slide or the slide itself is dragging, is what you need to find.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Our slide comes in smoothly until it reaches the full in or out position and then the gears pop, it has done this since we've owned it (2008).

Do you know the model of your slide gear, mine is a Power gear electric, below are 2 documents with the info on mine, yours may be different but it will give you an idea on what is involved.

I would suggest taking a good look at the slide mechanism and rollers. If the slide is grinding it must be metal against metal. Look for these wear points.

Under the bed box are the rollers that could be causing a problem, I've seen other posts that show how roller under the bed failed and caused the wood to be shaved off. I believe on mine there are 2 rollers under the bed frame box, you would have to take the bottom out of the box to see the rollers.

The box towards the wall of the motorhome contains the slide mechanism, you can remove the top cover fairly easily to provide access to the slide mechanism which should provide you the manufacturer and model, also look at the motor. If there is any major problem this is where you would probably find it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Slideout Bedroom mechanism.pdf (65.3 KB, 309 views)
File Type: pdf 1 Slideout rollers.pdf (18.9 KB, 261 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
up date on the noise I am hearing on the bed room slide

The up date is I have taken the plywood under bed room slide and discovered two things, the motor assembly, all four bolts were real loose,
and when I tightened them up and took a mirror and a light and looked up
under the slide rail, the fiber gear had two teeth broken off of it and now I know what making the grinding noise. I am going to go to a power gear dealer and with My model no., I hope I can buy the fiber gear.
I know Y'all are all ways finding cheaper places to buy RV parts, and I am hoping some one will know where I can get a gear, with out having to go to camping world.

I will keep everybody in the loop.

Phil
Old 01-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #6

Phil,
I think you have have more than just a stripped gear. Our slide made a horrible grinding noise when one of the bearings broke. Do you see any "parts" on the floor under the slideout area? Have you taken a good look at the slide mechanism itself. You could have metal to metal contact between the inner and outer frame members. This is usually easy to spot since it will have a shinny scrapped look.

From your description, it sounds like you have a rack and pinion setup. Did you see any damage to the rack side of things? Consider yourself lucky if you only sheared the one gear.

These slideouts have a lot of power in them and can really damage themselves rather quickly. I just think you might have more than just a sheared gear in the mix.

Just a though.
Bob
Old 01-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't see any parts broken off or bent!

I sure do appreciate Your feed back, and I was wondering are You speaking of the rollers that the slide, rolls on, when You let it in and Out?

I went out side yesterday, and took some penatrating oil and sprayed all the rollers, after I pulled donw the rubber seal on the bottom.

Where are there any other bearings in need to look for? When I took all the plywood off of the slide underneath the bed, all I can see is the runner the bed slides back and forth on.

I sure do appreciate all Your feed back. I will start hunting the parts I need tomorrow. Do You think Monaco in Org. would have any?

Thanks

Phil
Old 01-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I was able to get a power gear motor from Veurinks RV, I had the part number and they were able to expedite it. They were very good to work with.

If you were able to find any identification as to the model of the slide mechanism you might be able to track down the gear.

Fleetwood Tech Library - Power Gear

Here is a link to Power Gear Us tech library for Fleetwood. The 2nd document listed 82-SO503 has a number of different slideouts including the one that works on my rig, yours may also be listed. It has part numbers but you have to have the model of your slideout. I would call Monaco and get them to send you the information, similar to what I had posted from my rig in earlier post.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #9

Phil,
OK. I may have spoken too early. You may not have a broken load bearing. When these things shatter they usually leave part (of the outer race) on the floor. Since you don't see any shrapnel on the floor, this may not be your problem.

Do you have any documentation that gives information on the manufacturer of your slide out? You never mentioned that on your previous thread or this one. Knowing that information would be very helpful in understanding what would be a good course of action.
Bob
Old 01-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Our slide comes in smoothly until it reaches the full in or out position and then the gears pop, it has done this since we've owned it (2008).
That sounds like the limit switch(s) need to be adjusted. They are supposed to shut the motor off when full travel has occurred. If it doesnt, the motor will bind the gear and the slide track until it either shears the shear pin or the track pops up enough to let the motor spin the gear unloading the built up torque.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The rollers are usually bolted to the wall and because of leaks the metal in the wall frame and the bolts corrode. Eventually the roller will rock back and forth enough (from opening and closing the slide) to cause the bolt hole in the wall to open up enough letting the bolt to pull out and the roller to rock far enough away from the wall that the slides weight pushes down on it. (thats when the grinding sounds starts) Once that happens you have to move the roller over left or right enough to find fresh metal to bolt it to.

Do it right the first time and dont move it more than a half inch or so. They are intended to support the slide out by riding under a cross member in the floor of the slideout. Unfortunately the rv builder just kind of throws them in there sometimes and they may only be under a portion of the slides cross member. Move the roller too far and it will crush the bottom of the slide out because theres nothing there but insulation.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Smile I found out what caused the popping in the bed room slide out

It has been several weeks since My last thread, but I wanted to give everyone who responded to My last thread. I took the plywood out from under the bed room slide out and starting looking for My problem. I found that two teeth had broken off of the main gear that makes the slide go back and forth, and then I found out what casued the poping noise I mentioned before.The motor was loose on the bracket that holds the whole mechanism together, that holds the motor/gear box on the frame. The bolts were very loose. I figured out that with all the tork the motor has to bring the slide in and out, it had damaged the gear box it self. I first called Allied Rec. group, the old Monoca and order the shaft with the gear on it.
The person I worked with was very helpful and after He found one for Our 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, I ordered it. Then when I received it I put in on the rack part of the mechanism that makes the slide go in and out.
Then after finding out the gear box was shot, I called Allied back and they
couldn't find one real fast so then I call Sue at Veruink's factory ware house and She ordered Me one from Power gear and it matched all the right numbers that was on the motor/gear box that was in Our MH.
I am writing this all down for the people that said their's made the growling noise, I would check the motor/gear box and see if Your's has worked it way loose from the frame. I hope Y'all don't have the same problem I did, but now with the new motor/gear box it is like it was when We bought the coack in 2004.
I know I have been real windy, but I hope this will help some one not get stranded in some RV park and the slide not come back in.
If You need to talk to Me, call Me on My cell phone.
[Mod Edited phone contact]
I will be glad to try and help You.

Phil Palmer
Lavonia, GA.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are extremely important for future use.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the exact same problem. My motor was ok but gear was shot and missing teeth. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1423631240.355050.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	85771

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out